Hi, I am.. Michael! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Everywhere
Smile Hi, I am.. Michael!

Hello all.

It is wonderful to be here. Great photos, stories, etc.

I am finally getting serious about *possibly* getting my first fiberglass camper, but I'm having incredibly bad luck finding anything in my price range that isn't absolute garbage. (My other option is a high top van, or even a step van!)

How do you do it?

I've been using Craigslist, and then narrowing it down. Every time I get poor choices, I simply move it to the next municipal area.

It's been very bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I able to set up alerts for things that match my interests?

My range is pretty low, and obviously that will cut a lot out, but I have to be mindful that I'm a full-time college student, as well as a full-time home and pet sitter. I have some income, but not tons. I can't afford to buy something that's going to ruin me financially.

Thanks for listening and have a good day!

Michael
mrmchoohaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:14 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Welcome Michael. Hope that your search goes well. One thing about the FG campers is that they go fast! Have money ready when the time comes, have your tow vehicle ready, and know the size and kind you want. Then, when something like that comes up, jump on it! Some campers on the forum are sold in several hours, especially if they are a really good deal. Another option would be to get a "fixer upper" and then work on it as you are able. The Fiberglass shells will last a very long time, and by getting one that needs a little work, you get one a lot cheaper, and you also get to learn a little about it, and how to maintain it and changes that you make over the years will make it a lot more personal for you, and fit your life at the time, and as your life changes. You can generally get most of the money you put into it back out if you need to sell, since they don't lose value like some of the others, especially if you start used, and keep it well maintained. There are lots of threads in the section on mods and alterations, and they will help, and there are lots of people who will answer questions.
Good Luck on your search.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #3

Everywhere
Thank you. That's all very good info.

I wish I could set some kind of 'alert' to fit my $ range, which is super low.

I don't mind imperfection at all, as long as it is driveable.

I just installed a hitch on my Altima for a new(used) bike rack, and am ready!

I *may* be able to go up to 3500, but that's a serious stretch.

Michael
Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Michael!

Might need to backtrack a bit... What is your Altima rated to tow? The smallest molded fiberglass trailers start at about 1300 pounds loaded for camping, and though rounded, they present a greater frontal area than a teardrop or tent trailer.

You may wish to review the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World (post #297 links to a spreadsheet). Note that the two sub-1000 pound trailers were both empty, gutted shells.

How are you planning to use the camper? That will influence what your options are.

Best wishes figuring this all out!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
...What is your Altima rated to tow?...
I see from your other thread that your Altima is rated to tow 1500 pounds, which is 500 pounds more than I expected. Pretty sure it specifies trailer brakes over so many pounds, which many of the smallest molded fiberglass trailers don't have.

With your budget and tow rating, one to keep an eye out for is a Hunter Compact Jr. It is narrower and lower (with a pop-top for stand-up headroom) for easier towing, fairly basic for light weight, and generally cheaper used (the squarish shape lacks the "cute" factor). The boxy shape, simple frame, and leaf spring suspension makes for easier renovation work, too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compact Jr.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	114448
Old 12-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
For my first post it looks like I get to post a lead.
We were looking at this with my brother but he thinks its to small for himself his wife and daughter.
The weight falls into the range that you were looking for.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d...357899127.html
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #7

Everywhere
Thank you for your responses! I checked again online, and MUCH to my dismay, it appears that my car is actually rated for 1000lbs. Damn...
:-(

Gotta keep my eyes peeled for tiny!

Thank you again!

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I see from your other thread that your Altima is rated to tow 1500 pounds, which is 500 pounds more than I expected. Pretty sure it specifies trailer brakes over so many pounds, which many of the smallest molded fiberglass trailers don't have.

With your budget and tow rating, one to keep an eye out for is a Hunter Compact Jr. It is narrower and lower (with a pop-top for stand-up headroom) for easier towing, fairly basic for light weight, and generally cheaper used (the squarish shape lacks the "cute" factor). The boxy shape, simple frame, and leaf spring suspension makes for easier renovation work, too.
Attachment 114448
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
It is a seller's market for RVs. Demand is at a high point.

Just food for thought here... you might enjoy looking at the "Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers" website, specifically in the section on home-built trailers made from canvas-covered foam, which they call "foamies." Light weight and pretty inexpensive.
Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View forum - Foamies
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:14 AM   #9

Everywhere
Hey.

Just caught this. That's really nice!

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
For my first post it looks like I get to post a lead.
We were looking at this with my brother but he thinks its to small for himself his wife and daughter.
The weight falls into the range that you were looking for.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d...357899127.html
Old 12-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmchoohaa View Post

I've been using Craigslist, and then narrowing it down. Every time I get poor choices, I simply move it to the next municipal area.

It's been very bad.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I able to set up alerts for things that match my interests?

My range is pretty lowl

Thats your problem. You have picked the type trailer that typically sells for more than other trailers. Lots of reasons, durability is one of them for sure, along with short supply.

You need to raise your budget. Even at relatively high prices, molded fiberglass trailers tend to sell really fast. Sold our last one in four hours. This makes sellers less flexible price wise, why consider offers when you get multiple responses in the first few hours.

There are the occasional projects out there at lower cost. They tend to need A LOT of work! Read some of the threads where people have rebuilt trailers. Lots of time, need a place to do the work, preferably indoors. By the time you are done with the project, you could spend just as much for the trailer as getting one in better shape would cost.

With a tow vehicle limited to 1000 pounds or less, IMHO, you are in the motorcycle popup camper territory. I had one, brand was "Bunkhouse", there are several companies selling them.

I've always loved campers and motorcycles too. But when I was a college student, I couldn't afford either. I was broke. My focus was on getting my degree, keeping my debt to a bare minimum (community college first, lots of jobs, etc) and starting my career as soon as I graduated. Everything else was delayed. Once I started working in my field, it didn't take long to be able to afford some of the stuff I wanted.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #11

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
$3500 budget + 1000# towing capacity = a challenge in the molded fiberglass world. Maybe a used MyPod, if you could find one? http://golittleguy.com/lg-mypod/
Old 12-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
What I still haven't heard is the intended use of the camper... It's hard to make recommendations without knowing when, where, and for how long.

Used MyPods run more than twice the OP's budget. I do know where there might be a nice one, but the owner is asking $7500, which is comparable to another that was listed here recently.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Might want to post what city/state you live in so if something in your general area pops up. Might want to place a want ad in our classified section on this site and other sites as well.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #14

Name: Adam
Trailer: Uhaul
Florida
We just purchased our camper on Craigslist. I used a couple different Apps on my Android phone. One of the Apps alerts you if something is posted you are looking for and the other is a Craigslist App that lets you search a large area vs searching each area separately. This saves lots of time! We found our 85 Uhaul which needs plenty of work and we found it an hour after it was posted.
moonpies4misfits is offline   Reply With Quote