Hi I Am Naz - new to FGRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
Naz

Name: Naz
Trailer: Trillium 1300 - 1974
Ontario
Hi I Am Naz - new to FGRV

Hello,

I was introduced to this site by Stefman. I have a 74 Trillium that I am trying to get camp worthy. I have had it for about 3 weeks now. My family absolutely loves this trailer, wish we had done this 20 years ago.

I am looking forward to learning from the more experienced members of this online community.

I want to learn the following 4 things for now.

1. How to use the fridge, stove and furnace
  2. fibreglass repair and waterproofing, I have mysterious leak, can't seem to find the source.
  3. Check axle bearings and ensure they are ok - Replaced the tires already
  4. in the front of the trailer there are a couple of bolts that have come loose - these seem like they should be fastening the body to the frame. would like to fix that before getting on the road.
That's it for now, I will keep you posted on my progress and share what I learn.

Thank you for allowing me to join the FGRV community.
Naz
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi I Am Naz - new to FGRV

Welcome to the forum, Naz!
  1. The document center has downloadable manuals for many common appliances. You will need to know the appliance manufacturer and model, which you should be able to find on a sticker or plate affixed to the appliance somewhere.
  2. Leaks can be tricky, because water can run under the shell lining and come out far from the original source. Windows are the most likely culprits, but Trilliums also seem more prone to bellyband leaks than others. You may be able to isolate the leak on a dry day using a garden hose applied to different areas of the exterior. Some details about where the water appears, how much, and under what conditions might help us help you.
  3. If you're an experienced shade tree mechanic, repacking the bearings is straightforward DIY job. If not, take it to any competent mechanic, doesn't have to be an RV shop.
  4. Definitely replace the bolts before you go anywhere! Do you have an old one to determine the correct size?

I felt exactly the same after we got our Scamp- wishing I had started earlier. Just enjoy the time ahead of you and don't look back!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #3

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
Glad you found your way here. This is the place to find help. There are also members close to you in Brampton that can help. I'll do what I can from here but it's a 1 1/2 hour drive. The two bolts in the front are 5 inch long carriage bolts and nuts you can get at home depot. You'll want to use the squared washers under the front bench over. I just changed mine out about a month ago. I used a hammer and punch to pound the old ones out. I think they were 5/16 " thread size bolts. Take an old one with you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass trailers.

Stef
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Hello,

I was introduced to this site by Stefman. I have a 74 Trillium that I am trying to get camp worthy. I have had it for about 3 weeks now. My family absolutely loves this trailer, wish we had done this 20 years ago.

I am looking forward to learning from the more experienced members of this online community.

I want to learn the following 4 things for now.

1. How to use the fridge, stove and furnace
  2. fibreglass repair and waterproofing, I have mysterious leak, can't seem to find the source.
  3. Check axle bearings and ensure they are ok - Replaced the tires already
  4. in the front of the trailer there are a couple of bolts that have come loose - these seem like they should be fastening the body to the frame. would like to fix that before getting on the road.
That's it for now, I will keep you posted on my progress and share what I learn.

Thank you for allowing me to join the FGRV community.
Naz
Congrats Naz on the trill , the best way for you to get lots of info is to attend bolerama in July not far from you in long beach (wainfleet) were you will see many trilliums and get lots of advice.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Naz

Ontario
Thanks Jon,

Very helpful tips. I will start working on these items.

Wow I really appreciate the quick reply.

Thanks
Naz
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
Naz

Ontario
Thanks Stefman,

That is very helpful, I will get working on the bolts right away. Just so happens, I do have a really worn bolt.

Do the bolts go right into the frame?

I have secondary L type bolt that appears to go through the body, under the frame, then loops to the outside of the frame.

Have you seen this before?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Naz

Ontario
Thanks Mikmay,

Do you know the dates for this event?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Naz; - another 'welcome' to the FGRV site from a fellow Ontarioan - in the 'Highlands'.
I read 'caution' in other speaks, about putting bolt holes right through the entire frame. It could lead to frame collapse, if tightened too much. Instead, I chose to weld four pieces of 1 1/2 in. angle iron to the strategic 'corners' of my Boler frame, and then directly bolted the shell to the reinforced frame. I also replaced the remaining 14 fastener screws, using regular 1 1/2 inch 'steel-roofing screws'. Seems quite secure now !
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
Thanks Stefman,

That is very helpful, I will get working on the bolts right away. Just so happens, I do have a really worn bolt.

Do the bolts go right into the frame?

I have secondary L type bolt that appears to go through the body, under the frame, then loops to the outside of the frame.

Have you seen this before?
I have not seen or heard of this before, but I am not an expert. As far as I know all Trillium 1300's had 6 bolts holding the shell to the frame. 2 in front, 4 in back. All of these bolts went all the way through the frame and shell. The 6 nuts should easily be seen under the frame.
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35 PM   #10

Name: Barry and Kathy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Registry
Welcome Naz.

Welcome aboard. I hope you find your 74 Trillium as fascinating as we find our 75 Trill.
We purchased ours last August. Getting ourselves ready for our maiden camping voyage in a couple of weeks. Heading over to the Elora Gorge.
Can't wait to hear more about your Egg and see some pictures.

Kathy and Barry
BuzzBunny is offline   Reply With Quote