Hi I am new here. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I highly recommend you load up your trailer for camping and then weigh your trailer. There is a good explanation as to why and how at Understanding Trailer Weight Safety Issues. Keep in mind that when you weigh the tongue that it must be at the exact same height it is when it is attached to the tow vehicle in order to get an accurate weight. Up or down by a inches or two either way will result in a weight that is not the same as it is when attached to your vehicle. Not a big deal when weighing much larger trailers but it can be when weighing light trailers such as your own where a weight of 20lbs difference on the tongue can impact how stable the trailer tows.

Another easy way to increase your tongue weight or take it off as needed is to use a large Rubber Maid tote for carrying items such as water hoses, electrical cords, jacks, electrical adaptors etc. inside your trailer rather than in the tug. My trailer has limited storage inside it up in the front area and I have maxed it out, so if I load bikes on the back of the trailer or fill up the fresh water tanks which are at the rear that results in weight being taken off the tongue of the trailer. Even something as simple as having an empty propane tank on the trailers tongue can result in a bit to light a tongue weight. For the most stable tow my own trailer tows best at highway speeds with 12% of its weight on the tongue. Under normal towing conditions & the trailer is well balanced the Rubber Maid tote travels inside the trailer sitting over the trailers axle but when I have but water in the rear tanks or a bike on the back I need to move the tote up so it rides ahead of the axle up near the front of the trailer to transfer some weight back onto the tongue of the trailer to balance it back out.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote