Hi, I am new here. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #1

Name: Therisa
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Vermont
Hi, I am new here.

I'm DetroitRed and do not currently have any kind of RV. I had considered a van such as a Roadtrek but am glad to know that I can pull a 13' Scamp with my Subaru Outback. So far I've gone to look at one and like it but am not sure whether I will buy it. We will use it for camping and also crashing after music gigs.
DetroitRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Welcome. Don't dither too long, because egg trailers tend to sell faster than one would expect.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #3

Vermont
Uncertainty about outcome, not intention.

I had cash and was ready to buy, but the gentleman had made the appointment with me but his wife, who was at work, had the tow vehicle and the title/ registration. I could not try to drive it, nor could I buy it today. Honest mistake on his part, I believe, but a way away and I may not have the chance to go back....
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
If it's 500 miles or less, you should jump at it. They are more rare then hens teeth.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I can relate. From here in in Central VA I found my '83 Burro in Illinois, West of Chicago. Once I knew it would actually be there I drove about 1000 miles to look at it (having gotten good pix and description) with the idea of buying it on the spot and pulling it home. Did I say I REEAALLLY needed a camper and wanted it to be a fiberglass egg?

ShaneO, the seller, did his very best to under describe the unit and discourage me from the long drive for fear of me being disappointed, so what I found was better than expected and definitely worth the drive and the price (in my case, at least.) He earned my long term respect with his handling of the deal.

These little 13 footers are getting super hard to find used in any kind of shape, so if you think you've found what you want/need, go after it hard. Pay attention to the foundation... frame, floor, etc, and the shell itself. Cosmetics are just that... you can pretty it up if it's already solid, but pretty doesn't help shambles underneath, and major repairs are... major!

Good luck,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #6

Name: carol
Trailer: Scamp fifthwheel19 ft.
Pennsylvania
I went twice to Mo. ,from PA to purchase my fifth wheel and so glad I did.Can't wait to get on the road this Spring. I pulled the Scamp with my Ford ranger xlt great towing. Best of luck to you on your camper find.
gypsy elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

Name: carol
Trailer: Scamp fifthwheel19 ft.
Pennsylvania
buying a camper

I made 2trips to Mo from PA to get my Scamp was well worth it. They are in demand.Towed like nothing was behind me. Ready for Spring.
gypsy elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #8

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Yeah, I lucked out big time. My Scamp was only 3 hours away. I had been looking for a couple of months, but this was the first one I attempted to buy. I saw the posting on Friday night, called to set up a time on Sat to look at it. The folks selling it were out of town on Sat, so set up a time on Sun. They promised me they would hold it for me until then.

I went on Sun, liked what I saw and bought it. By that time, they already had two other folks willing to buy, one was from Wisconsin, the other from Illinois, I believe. Both other parties had cash in hand and ready to close the deal before even seeing it in person.

The sellers didn't tell me about the other buyers until after we had made the deal, but they did offer the information late, so I would not feel obligated in any way to buy since they had held it for me. The information was given as an "out" for me if I wasn't sure.

Point is, if you find what you want, be ready to jump on it. Also, most legitimate sellers seem to be nice folks.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #9

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Therisa,

Welcome! Wishing you the best with your egg hunt. After one year of camping with our Casita. . .TONS of fun.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-15-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

Vermont
Well, I didn't get a chance to buy the used Scamp - before I could get back there, someone else bought it. I think I'll be ordering a brand-new one from the factory.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRed View Post
I'm DetroitRed and do not currently have any kind of RV. I had considered a van such as a Roadtrek but am glad to know that I can pull a 13' Scamp with my Subaru Outback. So far I've gone to look at one and like it but am not sure whether I will buy it. We will use it for camping and also crashing after music gigs.
Glad to see there will be more Scamps in Vermont! Welcome to the forum. A Roadtrek and a 13' Scamp are quite different animals, in terms of price and also many other aspects. I guess you are researching all options. Good luck.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote