Hi I am Nicole - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Hi I am Nicole

Not sure if my original post is on here from a few years ago…so here it is again.

Im a 36 year old female, I work at a lab and own a B & B and 150 acre hobby farm….in my spare time (LMAO) I have decided to re do another 13 foot trailer. My first one was a 1978 Trillium. Mostly that one was just cosmetic…this time I have a 1970 Boler she needs extensive work…on a side note my husband thinks I'm crazy. He bought me a 24 foot Fun Finder, I sold it cause I wasn't having fun. You can't take something that big to the most beautiful places Canada has to offer, the back roads
bbybtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Nicole, my hat is off to you for your ambition and work ethic. If you happen to be a good cook as well, I'd say your husband had better keep his 'crazy' thoughts to himself! Hope you have some fun with your Boler.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

Name: Nicole
British Columbia
Oh Mike, this made me laugh out loud. Out of high school I attended Culinary school. My husband has many days complained about his enduring weight problem. When I ask what I can I do to help he says " Can you just stop making food taste so good"
bbybtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, Nicole,

Delighted to meet you!
Old 06-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #5

Name: larry
Trailer: Casita, but in the market for a bigfoot
Colorado
Hi Nicole. My wife and i want to buy a 25ft bigfoot for extensive traveling. Canada is high on our list for places to spend time seeing. Do you really think we won't be able to see as much as we'd like with a 25ft trailer? Just curious.
larryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryc View Post
Hi Nicole. My wife and i want to buy a 25ft bigfoot for extensive traveling. Canada is high on our list for places to spend time seeing. Do you really think we won't be able to see as much as we'd like with a 25ft trailer? Just curious.
I can't answer about Canada specifically, but even small trailers like my Scamp aren't designed for heavy-duty back road use. There are certainly places you could go in a 13' Scamp (especially if you raise the suspension) that you couldn't in a 25' Bigfoot, but I wouldn't base my trailer choice on that alone. You can always park the trailer in an accessible camping spot and go exploring in your vehicle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryc View Post
Hi Larry,

Coming from Western Canada, A 25' Bigfoot won't cut it on most logging roads. These roads offer campsites that are more 'out of the way' usually having less amenities and requiring a back road map book to find them. These places are called 'rec sites' and they are often free and great if you prefer more seclusion.

That being said, if you want to "see" Canada, you can easily get by with a large trailer. The majority of larger, often paid campsites are known as 'Provincial Park Sites' these sites offer more amenities and are usually easy to get to. There are also privately owned RV parks scattered across the country.
Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Canmore, The Kootenays, Glacier National Park, Vancouver Island, Okanagan. All these Canadian landmarks are easy to explore with a large trailer.

I wouldn't worry about missing out
fofobraselio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Did you ever drive 5 miles down a backwoods road which you think will end in a nice camp spot but instead come to a dead end and you have to turn around, it's much easier with a smaller trailer to just disconnect and turn it by hand than to back up that 25fter 5 miles .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: Daren
Trailer: 1985 19' Bigfoot tandem axle
Alberta
Hi Larry,

I have attached links to a great website for info on BC forestry recreation sites. These are the more remote sites that are either free or quite cheap (There are many easily accessible sites all across Canada). These sites generally are No power, pit toilet, boil only potable water and some of the most amazing scenery you have ever seen. They are the type of places RV companies use to shoot photos for their brochures. This website goes quite deep and has info on how hard it is to get in and out of the specific site you are looking at. For the most part the majority are accessible depending on how slow you wish to travel the back road and the recent weather.

I pull our 19' dual axle bigfoot with a 4x4 tahoe and I have yet to come across one that I was unable to get to. On a side note my axles are flipped for higher ground clearance and I feel my towing ability is quite good (I can parallel park my truck and trailer as long as I have at a couple feet of room front and back). I will also attach a pic of our trailer. The BC recreation site is great as you can plan an itinerary quite easily. Just be prepared that with some sites you might be spending some extra days at if you get hit with heavy rains as you wait for the roads to dry a bit.

Also as mentioned there are tons of sites all across Canada that the largest 5th wheels can get into so not worries on finding a site. These rec" sites are just a lot more natural than the highly accessible sites.

http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/planning-your-trip/
http://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/dmf-viewer...14829009675607
Attached Thumbnails
P1010630.jpg  
Finner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Did you ever drive 5 miles down a backwoods road which you think will end in a nice camp spot but instead come to a dead end and you have to turn around, it's much easier with a smaller trailer to just disconnect and turn it by hand than to back up that 25fter 5 miles .
Nope, hasn't happened. I will say though… I don't think you could unhitch and manually turn around anything larger than a 13'er, and there are plenty of situations where it wouldn't work even then due to slope, rough terrain, etc. I'm having a hard time imagining someone cross-shopping a 25' Bigfoot against any 13' trailer just because you could turn it around on a back road.

MODERATOR- wondering if this side conversation should be split off to a new thread? Seems to have taken on a life of its own away from the original posting.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #11

Name: Glenn
British Columbia
Terrace Boler

Hi Nicole. I'm Glenn and I live Terrace too. Rebuilding a 1971 boler 13' from scratch. 3 years in and a couple more to go. Would love to see your 1970.
Glenn46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1970's Boler, 1970 Bluebird Wanderlodge and 1999 Georgetown
British Columbia
Hi I am Nicole

Glenn:
I am from Kitimat. I would like to meet you as well.

In camp now, and gone for 5 weeks vacation, when I come out of camp again we will see what we can do.
1999 Forest River Georgetown 325
Bill Schreurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #13

Name: Glenn
British Columbia
Good to meet you

I will look forward to meeting you. 2503 Kalum. Turn south at Tim Ho's. Mine's the one with the Boler shell in the driveway.
Glenn46 is offline   Reply With Quote