Hi I am nw here, name is Sarah - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Currently shopping
Canada
Hi I am nw here, name is Sarah

Hi all,
Think I just missed out on the best deal ever for a 2005 bigfoot�� because I didn't get moving quick enough! So now I'll take my time decidin the best route to go hopefully with the advice of you all here. Semi retired, previous tenters and back packers but seem to need a comfy bed these days��. Had a westie last year but sold it and bought a newer tacoma. Hubby wanted roof top tent but I'm excited for a trailer at this point!!
He is 6' 4" so height and bed size is of concern. We like boondocking. So ability to go off road is great!No grandkids but would love to have room from grown up kids maybe...so potential to sleep four would be awesome! Bigfoot seemed perfect but I think a new escape might be worth saving for instead of hard to find used bigfoot.....but I see casita seem well priced and popular.
What should we get? Thanks!
Sjest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #2

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
An Airstream. My father is 6'5", and while he loves the quality of my bigfoot he cant stand how low the ceiling is.
I think eggcamper is the only molded fiberglass trailer your husband could stand up in.

Problem with a casita is the lengh if the bed, you would be limited to the Liberty in order to get a bed he could fit in. Only Escape he could fit in would be the 21'. Might as well wait for used 21 or 25 bigfoot.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+1 Check Casita floorplan carefully, I do not see how you could ever fit four adults in one.

Given your requirements, I would look at an Escape 5.0 TA, the fifth wheel. Highest ceiling height in their product line, 80 inch long queen bed up front, rear dinette converts to an adult sized double bed.

Note, the ceiling height is anywhere from 6-4 to 7-0, so its not going to be generous.

Some Tacomas have low payload ratings, which could hamper your towing. 5.0 TA pin weights I have seen are in the 750 pound to 1000 pound range. Add passengers, hitch weight, etc. Your door sticker will tell you where you are at in this regard.

While FG trailers are very nice, they have some shortcomings. Most have low ceiling heights, and most are narrower than traditional travel trailers making bed length an issue.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sarah, your needs are a tall order... literally and figuratively. Literally because most molded trailers are less than 6’4” tall inside and beds are right at, or slightly less than that. Figuratively because most cannot comfortably sleep four full-sized adults. Many “double” beds are narrower than a standard residential double, suitable only for two adults on an intimate basis, and most bunks are cot-sized and weight-rated for children only.

For a tall person, the biggest issue will be bed length. He will not be comfortable if he has to sleep with his legs bent for 8 hours at night. Walking around stooped is somewhat less of an issue because you don't spend that much time doing it.

The only molded fiberglass trailer I know of checking all your boxes is a Parkliner 15 with bunk option. It has 6’5” interior height, the main bed is 60”x80” and the side dinette is available with an adult-rated bunk option. It comes standard with a full LP system for boondocking and a small wet bath. It's a masterpiece of packaging, but realize it's a small trailer.

Parkliner is out of business now, but used units come up for sale from time to time. The bunk option is very rare. You'll likely have to come to the US to buy one.

Bigfoot is a more likely find north of the 49th parallel, but it will come up a bit short. Very nice trailers. Escape 19 or 21 might work with some compromises. Also nice trailers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

Canada
Thank you all for the input! I guess Castas are out! That is helpful! I think the escape 19 would be perfect! I dont envision him standing ling time inside, but a comfy bed and place to sit is ����
Old 11-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My Escape19 has a standard 60x80 Queen bed. Don’t know how tall it is inside since that’s not a factor for me.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #7

Canada
[QUOTE=rgrugg;759730]My Escape19 has a standard 60x80 Queen bed. Don’t know how tall it is inside since that’s not a factor for me.[/QUOTE

Oh! Let me know when you're ready to sell it😉😉😉😁!!!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Keep your eyes open. There have been several here, and likely others on the Escape Owners Forum.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
[QUOTE=Sjest;759779]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
My Escape19 has a standard 60x80 Queen bed. Don’t know how tall it is inside since that’s not a factor for me.[/QUOTE

Oh! Let me know when you're ready to sell it[emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji16]!!!

My son has said and I quote “don’t you dare sell that trailer.”
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #10

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
The board currently has an Escape, a Bigfoot and a Parkliner advertised. Think the Bigfoot may be closer
Old 11-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It's a long way from you and close to me, but try this: https://bigfootowners.com/awpcp/brow...foot-trailers/
Loring Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Tough Specifications

Very very few travel trailers are built for boondocking. The problems with off paved road boondocking are: trailer running gear, frame strength and lateral and torsional stiffness. Any trailer subjected to rough off-road use has significant lateral (as in left and right) and torsional forces induced from the tires moving up and down as the rig transits the terrain.

These forces flex and twist the trailer in response to the running gear movement. For stick built trailers, after just a couple of years of boondocking, the top cabinets, ceiling, and trim start to fall off. Single hull fiberglass "Eggs" do much better than the stick-built ones. But the best option of course is the double hull fiberglass trailer. So if you are really going to do boondocking, my suggestion would be to get a four season double hull such as the Oliver Legacy Elite II. I am 6'3+ and have no problem with the Oliver LE2 ceiling height. The twin beds work, but for a 6'4" guy the queen should be looked at as well. Having a true four season works to your advantage in both extreme heat and extreme cold. Likely conditions you will be seeing while boondocking.

There is a reason that you rarely see an Oliver's on the for sale boards: We tend to keep them.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I guess we need to define boondocking. To me boondocking is not off road. I call camping in a Walmart parking lot boondocking, that is, without hookups.
I do agree that our trailers do not do well off road and were not designed for the stresses of really rough/non-existent roads.
Loring Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
For many people, "boondocking" means dispersed camping off-grid on graded forest service roads. For that, ordinary frames and suspensions will generally suffice.

I've even heard some people use the word for dry camping on parking lots, like overnighting at Walmart.

"Boondocking" means different things to different people. For serious backcountry use on two-tracks and river beds, yes, you need a specialized chassis and some hardening of the fiberglass shell and interior components.

Here's one that shows what's possible:
This Scamp 5th Wheel Trailer Is A Boondocker's Dream

Click image for larger version

Name:	Extreme <a title=Scamp 19.jpg Views: 10 Size: 70.3 KB ID: 132189" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are often some Bigfoot trailers on the Seattle craigslist postings. Be sure you use the "nearby" option as sometimes they are out on the Olympic Penisula or Oregon or in Eastern Washington. There is one listing in Langley BC right now.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/r...999352247.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We have a 25’ Bigfoot with a walk around RV size queen bed. My husband is 5’8” so the bed is fine but if he were taller like Sarah's husband, I believe a handy person could fill in the space between the foot of the bed and the wall with an extension of the bed. You could easily gain another foot for his feet! Haha! It could be made to be removable so he could still walk around the bed. We love the quality and 8’4” width of the trailer. It feels so big even without a slide!

Julie
Julie T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #17

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
...I think eggcamper is the only molded fiberglass trailer your husband could stand up in...

Eggcampers are currently out of production. The Oliver Elite II's ceiling height is 6'6". This will handle a 76" tall person with some left over. He could even stretch out on the beds.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #18

Name: Lauren
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
Colorado
Welcome and good luck with your hunting!
Lauren in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote