Hi, I am Paul from just outside St. John's Newfoundland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee '79
Newfoundland
Hi, I am Paul from just outside St. John's Newfoundland

Hi, folks.

I am Paul. And I live just outside St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Our family just recently purchased a 1979 Trillium Jubilee trailer in fantastic shape. Other than putting electric brakes on it to help my tug its ready to go.

Check it out. We've had two lengthy road trips already and I swear the trailer moves closer to the edge of the driveway every time I get home. Can't wait to get on the road again.tried posting pictures but just can't iron the bugs out. Hope this link works in the interim.

Yessssss!!!!:-)

1979 15ft. Trillium Fiberglass Trailer **SOLD** - Halifax Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.
Terranovafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Paul.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wonderful Province

Paul, Welcome to the site. We just returned from Newfoundland, our 5th trip. NL is our favorite place to visit in North America. We spent a lot of time on the penisula this year, checking out the Cape Ray area using La Manche Provincial Park as a base park.

Over the year we've driven most NL roads except the road to Hermitage.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Newfoundland
Hi, folks.

Thanks for your email. I read your posts in earnest when looking for a Trailer that we could tow with our present tug (Subaru Forester). Your travels and common sense advice did much to put our minds at ease. In fact, our search became one of what trailer could we find to match our tug vs considering having to upgrade vehicles.

NL is one of our favourite places, too, and not just because we live here. We're constantly exploring and we see more and more how special it is the more we travel outside of the province, and country. The pace is "just right" if you know what what I mean (and I think you do).

Just this weekend past we visited the Cape Race area. In fact, the whole southern shore of the Avalon is a frequent jaunt of ours. If you're ever back this way again be sure to let us know. To get to LaManche your have to pass us by.

Cheers.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. A lot of helpful people here.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #6

Newfoundland
Many thanks. Interestingly, I felt welcome long before I joined the site.

:-)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Paul in Newfoundland from Donna D. in Oregon

Quote:
Many thanks. Interestingly, I felt welcome long before I joined the site.
Kinda like knowing an all molded towable was for you even before you saw one in person... huh
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #8

Newfoundland
Hi, and "Thank you", Donna D.

Yup. Feels just like it.

We've been unplugged for the last 12 days. We just got back from a 2200kms plus trip across the island. We poked our noses in a few of the places we haven't seen before all in an attempt to show our daughter some of the beautiful treasures we have here. The Jubilee towed "without a hitch" (LOL).

Wonderful family adventures and memories..... Hmmmm. Where to next?

Paul: -)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #9

Florida
Great

Glad you had a great trip. What were the three best places you went, planning our next trip.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #10

Newfoundland
Hi, folks.

Barachois Pond Provincial Park just east of the Stevenville exit (~ 2 hours from the Port aux Basques ferry) was just beautiful. Probably the nicest park we have been in on the island. Book ahead if possible. They do have drop in sites but depending on the demand in prime time these sites are filled. (We used Barachois like you did LaManche in your recent travels.) On your drive from the ferry you'll pass by Codroy before you reach Stevenville. This was a must see for us. Scenic and serene and a great birding area. Burgeo was a picturesque drive but there's little to see along the way. If you're going, book at the Sandbanks Park well in advance. The beaches there are great if the weather holds. You can unhitch and travel in the coastal boat to several remote communities but beware to plan far ahead as there are only specific days to go and return and all the info is not in print. The Insectarium in Deer Lake was a real hit. If you're travelling through Corner Brook consider Blow Me Down Park and venture down the other side of the bay to Cox's Cove. We also did some off grid camping in Port Blandford spending a night in a farmer's field before exploring Musgravetown, Bunyon's Cove and Canning's Cove. Some tight spots on narrow roads make for tricky turnarounds.

Hermitage along the Coast of the Bays is a beautiful trip and one I would make again. While we didn't do it this trip, it is on the "To Do" trip list. The remote coastal villages accessible by boat from Burgeo are similarly accessible from Hermitage. Galtois and Maccallum are 2 areas that you can see in a day trip and are worth the visit. The vistas alone down and up the coast are breathtaking.

P:-)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #11

Newfoundland
Hi, folks.

Just back from our latest jaunt. We travelled to ~1.2 hrs to Duneville, Placentia where we purchased a family Salmon Licence at Woodman's Sport and Variety, a little hole in the wall worth the visit and chat in and of itself. From there we headed in the direction of Colinet. We set up camp on a gravel road ~ 18 km outside the community of Colinet adjacent to the South East River. We boated and fished the area without significant luck. However, Cataracts Provincial Park was worth the visit as was the visit to the Rocky River Fish Ladder. However, the best visits were to Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary and the day trip along the coast to such places as North Harbour, Branch, and many more picturesque coastal communities.

Home early to beat the heavy rains forecast for the island for the next 48 hrs. Batten down the hatches!!!!

:-)
Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #12

Florida
Paul,

We haven't been to Colinet but I understand it's worth visiting for the Catatacts. Were they worth the visit? Do you have a picture?

So much to do and see. Thanks for adding to our NL List.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

Newfoundland
Hi, folks.

Cataracts gorge is a short, drop in visit only. Unfortunately, no pictures of note to do the gorge justice. Catherine stopped to use the park facilities (pit outhouse) and was stung by several hornets. Needless to say we were a little distracted afterwards. If you are in the area its worth the 15-20 minutes to see it. FYI: Its a long way to travel just to see the gorge.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #14

Florida
Paul, We're planning a trip for next year, our 50th wedding anniversary.

For us Newfoundland is never too far. We find every road interesting, there always seem to be something new to find or that finds us. Plaanning the start of the tip to coincide with the Norris Point music festival.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #15

Newfoundland
Congrats!!!

I'm sitting here reading and coping with having to go back to work in the morning. We're gonna fondly miss the adventures of the last 4 weeks. Have to plan ahead for our weekends to make the most of our short summer. However, I expect a great fall this year.

Re: Travel to NL in the past, have you been here in spring, summer or fall or a combination of the three?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #16

Florida
Thanks Paul. We've come once in September and four times in the spring, We usually arrive in May and leave in July. May has been a fine time to start.

It's a wonder to me that I didn't realize how much not working would mean to me. it's turned out to be a magnifcent change.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #17

Newfoundland
My dad always said that, "If you enjoy what you do you'll never have to work a day in your life." Fortunately for me I really enjoy what I do. However, transitioning back to work is a significant change in mindset. All said, I can't believe today has come and is almost Gone! Where did it go? :-)

Spring (May) is a good time to visit. Being the early bird you set your own pace without having to beat the crowd, that is until the Victoria Day weekend (24 th of May) a.k.a. As the official start of the camping season.

Real wealth (e.g. health, family, friends, good clothes (for the weather) a safe place to lay your head) are all the better fed on a diet of adventure and curiosity.

P;-)

Tags
trillium