Hi I am Peter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: In the Market
Wisconsin
Hi I am Peter

Hi. My name is Peter and I am a new member on this site. My wife and I searching for a travel trailer that can be pulled by a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan. Also, having a bathroom included is important. As we get older, the trip to the outhouse in the middle of the night is not a lot of fun. I find the fiberglass trailers intriguing due to their lighter weight and durability. I hope to find one that is right for us and to find a lot of great information on this site. Thank you. -Peter
PeterKWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Peter!

I agree molded fiberglass is a great choice for your situation.

I think your tow rating is 3500# or thereabouts. I don’t know whether a factory tow package is required to get the maximum rating (something to check in your manual).

Assuming that’s about right, I’ll suggest a 16’ Scamp or Casita. Loaded weights with bathroom and typical equipment run in the 2500-3000# range, with tongue weights around 275-325#.

Beware the larger and more common Casita 17’ models, with tongue weights typically north of 400#.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: Albert
Trailer: SCAMP 16
Ohio
T V Dodge Caravan

I have been towing my 16 ft. Scamp with a Dodge Caravan for seven years and have had no problems with the combination. Happy and safe traveling.

Dogbiskett
dogbiskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Peter! Have fun in you search for your perfect camper!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Not only are FG eggs lighter weight, they are more aerodynamic and have less frontal area. The amount of wind you push is more important at highway speed than anything else.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Late thought. One issue with smaller molded trailers is bed size and/or ceiling height. The main dinette bed in most* Scamp and Casita 16’ers is 45”x76” (*Scamp deluxe and Casita Liberty models excepted). Scamp has about 6’2” interior headroom, and Casita has about 5’11”.

If you’re unusually large or tall, they may not work well for you. Definitely try them out before committing to a purchase.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Hi Peter, I have been towing my Parkliner with a Town & Country that came equipped with a tow package. My understanding is that to get the 3500 lb weight limit you need the tow package not just a hitch. I do dog sports so when I go somewhere I have a fair amount of additional weight so that being said I have always felt that I didn't have quite as much towing capacity as I would have liked. I never towed it with more than 10 gallons of water or it would feel a little weavy. Hit a deer, totaled my van and ended up buying a full size van, what a difference. Seriously, like night and day. My Parkliner dry weight is 2200 -2300 pounds. Good luck in your search, I love my fiberglass trailer
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #8

Name: Renee
Trailer: In the market
Illinois
We have a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan. We tow a 13' Scamp with A/C, bathroom, and sliding canopy. Besides my husband and I, we have 2 large dogs who accompany us. We've been through Texas, the East Coast, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado and more, and never had towing problems, even in the Rockies.
Renee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I tow a 16 Casita that I rebuilt with a Chrysler town and country. No problem in the mountains. Did Chicago to Washington and down to Oregon, and back. There are fixes for the bed size posted in mods forum. I have 2 large batteries in front closet, and 20-30 gals of water in back storage area. I like having a bathroom because I don't like to get out at night to find a Bathroom, and I have mounted and A/C window unit to help with the sleeping temps in summer.
Lots of good ideas. Welcome.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
The guy we bought our 03 Casita 17'er from, towed with a Dodge Caravan.

He used a WDH, and said it was necessary due to trailer tongue weight. Otherwise the Caravan worked well for him. 😊
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote