Hi, I am ... pre-trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
Hi, I am ... pre-trailer

Neither the wife or I have been interested in RVs because they are big boxy money-pits - from our perspective. Friends and family have had those things and with the amount of maintenance they do, we have never been interested in the waste of time or treasure.

But we ran across a couple in a campground/RV park with a little Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe - bathroom and captains chairs - and we both really liked the look of it. Marshmallow on wheels.
She talked herself into a quick tour and I discussed maintenance (or lack thereof) and we both came away interested. Two weeks later we went to the Casita factory in Rice and checked out their model differences.

So our first step is obviously a tow vehicle. Cherokee or Grand Cherokee most likely since my brother is a huge Jeep guy. He'll help out there.
And since we have never RV'd before, I'd rather get something used and see how it fits us first. I can do the handy-man stuff and have already got some ideas from this forum on how things work and how to improve them.

Probably be a year or two, but we'll see ya'll out there!
rhodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Welcome, good luck in your search. Have fun with it.

My story is just starting. We got our 2019 Scamp last month and had a great maiden voyage. Taking it out again next weekend for some local hiking. My wife had no real camping experience and mine was limited to Boy Scouts both in my youth and with my son.

We wanted a used one, but learned that unless you can get to a nice unit quickly, you have no hope of buying it before someone else does. We placed our order in November, for a 13 foot standard Scamp with a bathroom. I’d rather have the 16, but our Subaru Outback couldn’t handle the 3500 lbs max weight of the 16. The 13 axel can handle 2200 lbs, which works fine with the Outback. Anyway, I’d still like the 16, but will have to wait a few years. The 13 is still great.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Good luck shopping.

Keep on top of the forum want ads and Facebook pages; eggs usually sell in less than 2 days and aren't all that cheap compared to ordering new unless you're talking 10-15 years old and/or problematic.

My 8 year old Casita 17LD sold in 11 hours after posting it on the Casita Forum. It took me almost a year to find that specific model online and I had to fly half way across the country to inspect it. Did that next day after contacting the seller and closed the deal at his bank with a wire transfer.

Then I had it brought home on a flatbed in the dead of winter over the Rocky mountains from Denver to Portland Oregon.

So, it can be done if you work at it.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I highly recommend you go to a few rallies in your area in the interim. You have seen a Casita, which is good. But there are a lot of other brands out there too. You might just find an Escape, or a Scamp, or whatever, suits you even more.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome to the forum Carl and have fun in your search!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome!

The Casita 17 models are very popular and a good place to start. They’re fairly easy to find used and very stable towing. One thing, though- they’re somewhat heavy on the hitch, typically between 400-425#. Look for a tow vehicle rated for at least 500# tongue weight.

As said, there are other molded fiberglass trailers out there with similar construction and advantages. While you wouldn’t do wrong with a Casita, it couldn’t hurt to explore other options. Rallies are one way to see many at once. Or just keep your eyes open as you shop for a used one.

In addition to this site, check out www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, which reposts scam-filtered listings from Craigslist and eBay as well as direct owner listings.

Best wishes in your “egg hunt”!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Texas
Thanks all. I am still new to this and we have only really seen Casitas up close so plenty of research left to do. Never really noticed the 'egg' trailers before.

Hmmm... A Scamp 13, with a bathroom, sounds interesting and could be towed by the wife's CRV, saving a tow vehicle purchase. Meaning quicker to playtime.

We'll have to see one though since she cannot visualize things without them in hands reach. Floorplans and pictures don't work for her like they do me.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Caution... a Scamp 13 bath model will weigh around 1800# loaded for travel, well over the 1500# tow rating on a CRV. A CRV is good for a basic, no-bath Scamp, lightly optioned and loaded, but not much more.

We love our ‘06 CRV (190K miles, nothing but scheduled fluid changes, tires, and batteries). But with four people and gear, we tow with our Pilot.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
Enjoy the hunt! There are several models of Casita 17’ that are each wonderful in their own way. We had a 2004 Casita Spirit Deluxe for 5 years and it was super easy to tow, set up, and maintain. Once grandchildren entered the picture we moved to an Escape 21. Escape makes a wonderful 17’ model, lighter hitch weight than Casita, worth looking into if that is an issue. They are harder to find in your area, though. Whenever you decide what you want, do as advised by others about moving quickly! Good ones go fast! We sold our Casita in 2 hours after listing, had another 17 people asking to have a shot if the deal fell through.
After years of stick builds, fiberglass was amazing. We will never have anything else!
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodyne View Post
Thanks all. I am still new to this and we have only really seen Casitas up close so plenty of research left to do. Never really noticed the 'egg' trailers before.

Hmmm... A Scamp 13, with a bathroom, sounds interesting and could be towed by the wife's CRV, saving a tow vehicle purchase. Meaning quicker to playtime.

We'll have to see one though since she cannot visualize things without them in hands reach. Floorplans and pictures don't work for her like they do me.

Carl, when we first started looking we had considered a Scamp. I just could not visualize how big/small the actual box was. So my husband took some chalk and drew one on our driveway. That really helped me visualize the size of bed, bathroom, kitchen counter etc!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
...my husband took some chalk and drew one on our driveway. That really helped me visualize the size of bed, bathroom, kitchen counter etc!
If I had done that, pretty sure I’d not be a happy Scamp 13 owner today!!

I was just certain a Scamp was way too small for our family of four. After all, it was 20% smaller than the 8x10 tent we were then using! Too small... until I stepped inside one and was amazed at how roomy it actually felt.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #12

Texas
Huh. My wife constantly surprises me.

I mentioned that a Scamp can be had in a smaller size than the Casitas we saw but we'll have a tougher time checking them out because their home is in central Minnesota. Her response?

"Roadtrip!"

I had to double check it but she wasn't kidding. "Another excuse for a drive" is how she sees it.

Of course she wants to do more than drive 19 hours to look over some trailers, maybe add in a few other stops or interesting things but...how can you not love that attitude?

So. Anyone know of any other egg-type trailer makers between central Texas and Minnesota?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Contact the manufacturers and most have a referral program with relatively local owners in your area. Better yet is a rally or two. Depending on the campground, you can often rent a cabin.
Easier for me to schedule a roadtrip than make most of the gatherings. I work every other weekend and the only one I can make this year is the tailend of "Pineknot" near Fort Davis. And we'll probably do that since her brother lives in the mountains out there and we rarely visit. Heh..another roadtrip.

Didn't know about the referral thing. I'll check into it.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Escape has an owners map on that forum. You can also check out scamps for sale on their forum without joining. https://www.scampowners.com/forums/member-trailers-sale

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Oliver is built in Tennessee, but that's it for mfrs 'along the way.'

Even so, you can see many brands of 'egg' trailers if you ever attend a rally.

If you head to MN, I highly recommend the area north of Duluth up to the CA border. Many state parks with waterfalls, trails along the river, shoreline, and a few high overlooks.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
there's really only 5 major in-production brands of fiberglass now.

1) Scamp, makes 13, 17 and a small 5th wheel. some have baths, some don't.

2) Casita, makes 16, and 17 (used to make a 13 but dropped it). Casita 'Deluxe' models come with shower, toilet, and air conditioning. A/C is optional otherwise.

3) Escape, from British Columbia, makes 17, 19, 21, and a 5th wheel. IMHO a step up in comfort and design from Casita or Scamp. They are a foot wider, also taller.

4) Bigfoot, only one sold through RV dealers (rest are sold direct from the factory, often with 6 month lead times on an order). even wider than Escape, and in sizes up to 25' long.... most pretty much require a superduty/heavyduty pickup truck (F250, 2500HD, etc) or at least a large SUV (Tahoe, Expedition).

5) Oliver, double hulled, good for extreme weather, very expensive. also heavier than most of the above.

there is also Eggcamper, they mostly make electric-only 'eggs' in 17', but they aren't really in volume production right now. then there's a bunch of fringe companies, HappierCamper makes an all electric, where the interior is like lego blocks, and you can customize, cute but IMHO, fairly useless without propane. and, Airstream has their new Nest, I dunno much about them, they look pretty but are very expensive.

there's a bunch more historic brands, Parkliner, Boler, and various vintage small things long out of production, you buy a shell of one of these and do a total rebuild and end up spending 3X what a new Casita costs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:21 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
there's really only 5 major in-production brands of fiberglass now.

1) Scamp, makes 13, 17 and a small 5th wheel. some have baths, some don't.

2) Casita, makes 16, and 17 (used to make a 13 but dropped it). Casita 'Deluxe' models come with shower, toilet, and air conditioning. A/C is optional otherwise.

3) Escape, from British Columbia, makes 17, 19, 21, and a 5th wheel. IMHO a step up in comfort and design from Casita or Scamp. They are a foot wider, also taller.

4) Bigfoot, only one sold through RV dealers (rest are sold direct from the factory, often with 6 month lead times on an order). even wider than Escape, and in sizes up to 25' long.... most pretty much require a superduty/heavyduty pickup truck (F250, 2500HD, etc) or at least a large SUV (Tahoe, Expedition).

5) Oliver, double hulled, good for extreme weather, very expensive. also heavier than most of the above.

there is also Eggcamper, they mostly make electric-only 'eggs' in 17', but they aren't really in volume production right now. then there's a bunch of fringe companies, HappierCamper makes an all electric, where the interior is like lego blocks, and you can customize, cute but IMHO, fairly useless without propane. and, Airstream has their new Nest, I dunno much about them, they look pretty but are very expensive.

there's a bunch more historic brands, Parkliner, Boler, and various vintage small things long out of production, you buy a shell of one of these and do a total rebuild and end up spending 3X what a new Casita costs.
No Happier Camper does have a propane option for the HC1 and the soon to be released 17 foot HCT. With over 300 HC1 sold in its first 2 years and a growing waiting list for the new HCT Happier Camper in poised to be one of the largest little trailer manufacturers in North America.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #18

Name: Nigel
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
One more small manufacturer you might want to add to the list is armadillotrailers.net
We we’re very impressed with their quality, fit and finish. Better insulated than most and no rivets. Small operation building a couple of hundred a year and each one is custom. They told us no two the same so far.

I have no affiliation with them, just a potential customer.

Nigel
NigelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
No Happier Camper does have a propane option for the HC1 and the soon to be released 17 foot HCT. With over 300 HC1 sold in its first 2 years and a growing waiting list for the new HCT Happier Camper in poised to be one of the largest little trailer manufacturers in North America.
a Buddy Jr portable propane heater, and a standalone propane stove isn't quite what I had in mind by propane (these both use the disposable 1 lb 'coleman' style propane bottles).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a Buddy Jr portable propane heater, and a standalone propane stove isn't quite what I had in mind by propane (these both use the disposable 1 lb 'coleman' style propane bottles).
No John the HC1 can be equipped with a 5 pound propane tank mounted on the folding tounge for use with our Truma forced air furnace if someone desires and yes while our portable butane is what HC offers I can assure you I can cook the same as you in the trailer and I can also cook outside as well ,or if I don’t feel like cooking I can just leave it at home and hope my neighbor cooks for me . Not having to drag a permanently installed stove around that I may never use makes sense to me and a lot of HC1 owners.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote