Hi I am Rachel and now owner of a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #1

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
Michigan
Hi I am Rachel and now owner of a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr

Hello!

My name is Rachel and I just purchased a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr. I was reading on this forum prior to purchase which was really helpful. The previous owner had already done some work but we plan to renovate it and put our own personal touch.

We got it home and surprisingly couldn’t get it through the garage! Maybe I was being naive, but felt stupid for not measuring it out better. I’ve been looking for a camper that could fit in a garage since we live in the suburbs. We had to take some air out of the tires and very careful maneuvering to get it in. I didn’t think we’d have this issue since you’re supposed to be able to fit it in a standard garage. I guess it hasn’t plenty of room once it is in... just need to play a bit of operation to get through the frame if anyone has any other tips or tricks to squeezing in the garage better, it is much appreciated. We have a two car garage.

Thank you!
Rmorriss2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Hi Rachel. Welcome to the forum!

I have squeezed first a Boler 13 and now a Trillium 4500 into my garage with a 7 foot high door frame. Here are things I have done in order of easier to more difficult and more drastic measure:

- Deflate the tires
- Remove the roof vent cover (not an option for Hunter Compact)
- Wedge the overhead door as high possible after disconnecting the garage door opener, then make sure to remove the wedge before re-connecting the garage door opener
- Use bare rims
- Use temporary smaller wheels/tires, such as 8" diameter

In my case, I have a 7' high door frame and an 8' ceiling. I had a wall mount door opener installed together with door roller tracks that raise the door up above the top of the door frame when wedged open ...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Also, would love to see pics of your Hunter!
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #4

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Rachel, I wonder about your axle. My camper has its original drop axle (axle is a few inches below the spindles where the wheels attach). Also, the springs on my camper are attached below the axle. Both of these characteristics result in a lower ride level. Sometimes owners will replace the drop axle with a straight axle. Others may flip the springs to the top of the axle. Both modifications will raise the suspension. Maybe that is why your camper will not easily fit into your garage. Changing the axle and springs is not a difficult thing to do on these trailers, and you might consider that if you are sitting higher than you like.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5153.jpg  
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

Michigan
Thanks for the tips! Here is just a picture of the outside. Once we figure out how to get it back out easier, I’ll post some more with better lighting lol
Attached Thumbnails
14C7845F-DCED-40BA-9FB6-EFEFA007E2BA.jpg  
Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #6

Michigan
Brian - thanks for the tip! Interesting idea. Any idea how much that would relatively cost?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I love the updated side windows! The ride height looks pretty good (from a towing perspective, not garageability).

Hard to say much about the axle until we know what it has now. Is it a straight axle or a drop-axle? Is it mounted on top of the leaf springs or under them? Brian’s photo shows a drop axle (notice the upward bend at the end) mounted on top of the springs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I've read where a few owners have bought smaller tires and rims to use only for garaging. The smallest configuration that will work with the bolt pattern.
I have the same trailer, but your is much nicer looking. I suggest you check the frame for cracks especially In front where it goes under the trailer. It's a common problem and best taken care of before it actually breaks. It can be an easy repair before it actually breaks. Mine is now a second camper so it's waiting for a replacement from having broken on the freeway.
Enjoy your ComPact. We used ours 16 years before age told us to get something with better beds and a bathroom.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Rachel, I removed my axle myself when I replaced the leaf springs. I'm an amateur and it wasn't very hard, taking it slowly. I don't know how much a professional would charge. However, your camper looks like it is sitting at a good height to me. Considering you succeeded in squeezing it into your garage after letting air out of the tires -- well, you might think about leaving the axle the way it is.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Rachel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmorriss2411 View Post
Thanks for the tips! Here is just a picture of the outside. Once we figure out how to get it back out easier, I’ll post some more with better lighting lol
:Just to say nice looking trailer , but to also say if traveling in hot places a white roof would be nicer to keep the sun from traveling into the interior.
Wish it was mine.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

Michigan
We just got the hitch put on and took her for a spin to test it out to get it weighed. Being newbies at this, it is a bit intimidating at first! Hoping to use it this weekend for Labor Day.

I like the idea of getting smaller tires! I get a bit skeptical deflating these tires and what it does to them. We deflated it pretty low to get it out... I think we will remove the top part of the frame weathering strip on and off to help clear it easier. I'm assuming it can't be good for the tires... We bought a small tire inflator and plan to put it back to normal pressure every time we go in and out. Anyone know how bad it is for the tires to deflate it like that?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
One of the threads showed a wheel assembly that attached to the back bumper with very small wheels to go in and out with. They simply removed the road tires, then put it in the garage. Can't remember the thread, but something like that might work, or two small "piano movers" that would go under the axle when the wheels are off. Just an idea.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #13

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Along the lines of Eric's post Harbor Freight has small 3 wheeled dollies that set under car tire so that it can be moved around on concrete by hand. It should be possible to remove the wheels and set the trailer on 2 of them. My brother has a set he uses to move an old van around. The only problem is the wheels are small an can catch in any joints in the concrete making it difficult to maneuver.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
No harm should come to your tires just by deflating to get into the garage. 4x4 enthusiasts deflate their tires for softer rides and better traction. I’ll tow my Lil Snoozy to a campsite with 50 lbs in the Jeep tires (E rated) and run them on the trails at 10 lbs all week-end.
When we had our 13’ Scamp, we would place golf cart wheels/tires on it to wheel it into and out of the garage. Best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Registry
I am imagining the effort involved in removing the wheels and then replacing the wheels each time the trailer is moved in and out of the garage. It would be a lot of work. I hope removing that weather strip as you mentioned will be a good solution for you. My garage opening is 83 inches. I wonder what yours is Rachel? You said you were going to weigh it? What does it weigh?