Hi, I am ScribeWithAStylus from Northern Virginia - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #15

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
KC, do you have thoughts on how to install one of these? We have carpeting on walls and ceiling (and this trailer has no rivets at all, so I'd hate to add any).
You can't just wish it into place and have it stay up there because of that pesky thing called gravity

After hanging around the forum as long as you have you already know the answers of how to attach things to the fiberglass walls. That answer is you have to use mechanical fasteners or you have to use adhesives and install some blocking into which you put mechanical fasteners.

So that means modification. The rivets are the easiest solution which will result in the most headroom being conserved.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 PM   #16

Name: Gnuu
Trailer: Sprinter
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Sorry, I did not see the posting where you describe that you know the RQ could work. However, if you do consider the Bigfoot camper, your larger Sprinter would be on the low end of the power you would need to tow.

CindyL
CindyL,
Thank you for the suggestions and warnings. Looking at the Bigfoot web site, the 7500RQ currently weighs 4750, with 90 gallons of H20 at about 8 pounds yields 5500 pounds. With 500 pounds of options (a guesstimate), not in the listed trailer weight, and 300 pounds of "carry on luggage"this yields 6,300 pounds. The 3500 Sprinter has a 7500 tow capability. This would leave about 1,200 pounds of margin for towing. Is that dangerously low or does it just mean that we should tow at lower speeds? We have not towed travel trailers before and do not know.
Walk in His Peace,
ScribeWithAStylus

Old 12-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #17

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
It sounds like you have quite a cushion to work with, and not many tow with so much water weight.
Dave & Paula
Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Scribe, I think you mean the Bigfoot 25B25RQ.

Unless you're heading out into the desert for an extended stay, you probably wouldn't need to carry 45 gallons of fresh water, and certainly not 45 gallons of grey water (and 45 gallons of black water!). Can't imagine why you would have all three of these extra-large tanks full. Then, I'm sure others can. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribeWithAStylus View Post
CindyL,
Thank you for the suggestions and warnings. Looking at the Bigfoot web site, the 7500RQ currently weighs 4750, with 90 gallons of H20 at about 8 pounds yields 5500 pounds. With 500 pounds of options (a guesstimate), not in the listed trailer weight, and 300 pounds of "carry on luggage"this yields 6,300 pounds. The 3500 Sprinter has a 7500 tow capability. This would leave about 1,200 pounds of margin for towing. Is that dangerously low or does it just mean that we should tow at lower speeds? We have not towed travel trailers before and do not know.
Walk in His Peace,
ScribeWithAStylus
I had best leave that question up to the experts. We have an Expedition that tows our Silver Cloud with no issues. The Bigfoot Silver Cloud weighs about 4200 to 4500, I think I remember hubby saying. I will say that we had bad sway when we first got it, but we bought a ProPride hitch and that took care of it. However, the Silver Cloud is from the 80s, and I am sure they have a better design now.

CindyL
Old 12-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #20

Name: Gnuu
Trailer: Sprinter
Virginia
Corrected Model Number of the Bigfoot is 25B25RQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Scribe, I think you mean the Bigfoot 25B25RQ.

Unless you're heading out into the desert for an extended stay, you probably wouldn't need to carry 45 gallons of fresh water, and certainly not 45 gallons of grey water (and 45 gallons of black water!). Can't imagine why you would have all three of these extra-large tanks full. Then, I'm sure others can. . .

/Mr Lynn
Thank you for the correction. It is indeed the 25B25RQ that we were looking at. However, due to availability, we may have to start with the Casita, maybe the Independence for its twin bed configuration as we are retired and getting up in the middle of the night more then we used to.

With regard to the water, we are trying to be conservative in our estimates to minimize the chances of making mistakes.

Walk in His Peace,
ScribeWithAStylus
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #21

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScribeWithAStylus View Post
Thank you for the correction. It is indeed the 25B25RQ that we were looking at. However, due to availability, we may have to start with the Casita, maybe the Independence for its twin bed configuration as we are retired and getting up in the middle of the night more then we used to.
There was a lengthy discussion a while back on the problem of climbing over one's bed partner to get to the potty. Can't find it now, but perhaps someone has the link.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote