Hi, I am shopping for a 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: shopping
Ohio
Hi, I am shopping for a 13'

Not new to fiberglass campers or RVing, just new here. My story:

In 2004-06, we had a 13' Scamp which had been gutted, and was basically a dry, warm tent. (None of the plumbing worked.) Then a Lance slide-in camper, hauled on an F350 diesel. Then a 2005 class C, which was totalled last week. Hence the shopping!

We now own a Honda CR-V which lists its max tow capacity as 1800lbs.

If we can find a 13' or 15' fiberglass trailer with a shower (I'm not going back to camping without a shower, sorry, that's backpacking with your own personal bear box) that weighs in at 1800 dry, I'm hoping to pull with the Honda.

Kid is leaving for college in the fall, so our needs have changed through the years (see above).

Open to your ideas, including 'there is no such beast, if you insist on a shower you need a bigger engine'. From what I can tell it's technically plausible to tow with the CR-V, but we'd have to be flexible on location & price. So...we are! Can easily look at anything in AZ, CO, CA, MI, OH, Great Lakes more generally.

Thanks for your tips!
PonyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
welcome Pat... you'll find lots of info on here.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Pat! Good luck in your search!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As far as I know, Scamp is the only molded option with a wet bath and a chance of staying under 1800# loaded. Casita made the Patriot Deluxe, but it typically weighs in well over 2000#. The occasional, rare Trillium Sidekick shows up with a wet bath; I don’t know about weight. Nothing larger than 13’ has a chance. Even with Scamp, it will be close.

Dry weights do not include options, gear, or provisions, so the real towing weight will typically be 400-600 pounds higher in this size trailer. Bath models tend toward the high end of the range. See the thread “Trailer Weights in the Real World” in the General Chat section for data on various makes and models (post #297 links to a spreadsheet).

I’m curious what CR-V model has a tow rating of 1800#. We’re on our second- great vehicles, both- but every one I’ve looked at since 2003 was rated to tow 1500#. I haven’t looked closely at the current generation, though. Because we are four people, we bought a Pilot to tow our non-bath Scamp 13.

If you do consider alternatives to a CR-V, Honda is getting ready to roll out a new model. The 2019 Passport will be a shortened, 2-row version of the Pilot with the same V6 engine. It will be a very capable tow vehicle for smaller molded trailers and would open up a lot more choices.

There are other great choices outside the Honda family as well. The Toyota RAV4 Adventure model has mechanical upgrades giving it a 3500# tow rating. I personally think that's a bit optimistic for a non-turbo 4 cylinder, but it would be perfect for a 13' Scamp. Mazda CX5, Subaru Outback (have to watch tongue weight), and Ford Escape are other compact crossovers with 2000# or higher tow ratings.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I have a wonderful Honda Element, which had the same drivetrain as the CRV, and has a 1500 pound tow rating. It barely has enough power to handle itself. I live in the mountains of NC. So every trip starts and ends in the mountains. So towing anything with my Element, even my basic Trillium 1300 with no water tank and no toilet, is out. Now if I had a Subaru Outback with a 2800 pound tow rating I’d probably try it.

In the meantime, my F150 with a 5.4V8 does all towing duty. Way overkill on the Trillium, nice margin of safety on the Escape 19.

In this internet world I have no doubt someone is towing a trailer over the tow ratings with a CRV. This does not mean it is the right choice for you. I can’t find a CRV with an 1800 pound rating. 1500 is the norm.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hi Pat

Scamp13 Standard, layout 2, has bathroom and lighter weight than the deluxe version that has the wood interior. Would total out at 1500lbs dry weight, with a lot of extra goodies. I believe the Std 13 without bath is around 1200lb dry weight.

Check it out at Scamptrailers.com
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Check with Floyd, he may know of one for you.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #8

Name: Sue
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Have a 13 ft for sale but no shower. Has the standard dinette that turns into a bed, sink/stove top/3 way frig. combo and bunks. Couple of extras if you are interested. Weighs in approx 1285. If you change you mind about the shower, let me know. Good luck in your search.

Sue
chicago911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #9

Name: Gregg
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13ft.
Arizona
Burro owner1982

Have a sweet 1982 Burro.You mentioned Az. as a location you would be able to view potential trailers. Located ion Fort Mohave Az. Take a look
Gregg Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote