Hi I am Simon Says - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: Sunny
Trailer: 1978 Fibre Stream
Texas
Hi I am Simon Says

I was gifted a 1978 Fibre Stream two weeks ago. I am a total novice, don't even own a hitch LOL! The trailer came with manuals on the appliances but I have no clue as to the generator, electrical, plumbing etc. I am having all kinds of ideas for the interior ( the whole thing is in great shape though) and just where my dog and I will go. Any info on where I can get owners manual would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
simon says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Sunny!

Sounds like you have a treasure. We'd love to see pictures! Directions are here (post #7).

The Document Center is a great resource. I checked, and it doesn't look like there is a general owner's manual for a Fiber Stream, though. We have several Fiber Stream owners on this site, so perhaps they will be able to help.

Even if not, RV systems are pretty generic and work similarly across a spectrum of makes and years. Appliances change, of course, but you said you have those manuals. Google is your friend. You can google things like "how to winterize an RV" or "how to reseal RV windows" and pull up helpful information and even videos.

And if you're still stumped, ask away!

First order of business is to get this set up to tow safely. According to the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World your trailer will likely weigh 2800-3200 pounds loaded for camping. You will want a tow vehicle rated for at least 3500 pounds to pull it with, and you'll need to make sure it has any towing related upgrades required by the manufacturer. Read the towing section of your owner's manual carefully. You'll want a Class III hitch with a 2" receiver.

I also noticed in the weight data that Fiber Streams have a tendency to be light on the tongue. Most sources recommend 10-12% of the total trailer weight on the tongue, so if your trailer weighs 3000 pounds, there should be at least 300 pounds on the hitch. Less than that can make the trailer unstable, more likely to sway in crosswinds or when semis pass. Not good! You'll want to be careful how you load the trailer.

The trailer should be equipped with electric trailer brakes. You'll want to make sure your tow vehicle is set up with 7-blade wiring and a brake controller. Make sure the trailer's brakes are adjusted properly and working.

You'll also want to make sure the trailer's tires are less than 5-6 years old and have good tread (age is more likely a problem than tread; the date of manufacture is stamped in the sidewall as WWYY, week and year). And the wheel bearings may need to be serviced- generally 2 years or 5K miles.

You can see there's a lot to think about and expenses to anticipate just to get this rig on the road safely. You might see if there are some experienced RVers in your area who can guide you and perhaps recommend a good shop to install hitch, wiring, etc. U-Haul shops are one option, but they are independent franchises, so quality varies.

While you're working on the tow set-up, some driveway camping can help you learn how the trailer systems work.

Remember, though… safety first, function second, cosmetics last.

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Texas
Hi Jon and thank you for the quick reply. I have no intention of hitting the road until I am convinced that all systems are go. I have lake property that will be my first adventure, but alas the road is washed out, so there presents another obstacle to over come. Life itself is an adventure, right??
Old 04-18-2016, 05:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Fiber Stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon says View Post
I have no clue as to the generator, electrical, plumbing etc... Any info on where I can get owners manual would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I also have a 1978 Fiber Stream. Here are some links:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ory-24099.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...igh-24896.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-25142.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-26365.html
As Jon reported, there is no general Owner's Manual for the trailer as a whole. You also mentioned a generator; which did not come with the trailer from the factory.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Texas
Thanks Frederick. Interesting that there was no original generator, my sister gifted me Simon and she said they never used the generator at all because of the noise and they always had power. Ok so what would you say to removing the generator completely? Also I'd like to do away with the propane and just use a microwave for cooking, is propane used for anything else? Water heating for instance. I am thinking of removing the oven and using that space for the microwave. Simon had been under cover for years and now is in the open, it has been raining and I can see where a few of the figerglass repairs are needing some patching, what is your suggestion to having that done.
Thank you for your time and interest!
Old 04-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Interesting that there was no original generator, my sister gifted me Simon and she said they never used the generator at all because of the noise and they always had power. Ok so what would you say to removing the generator completely?
I would say that if you wanted to do as your sister did, and aren't interested in "boondocking" (a.k.a. dry camping) then yes, go ahead and remove it.
Quote:
Also I'd like to do away with the propane and just use a microwave for cooking, is propane used for anything else? Water heating for instance. I am thinking of removing the oven and using that space for the microwave.
Propane is used in the following appliances:
  1. the Duette Range/Space Heater Combo Unit was factory installed
    12 volts D.C. from the battery powers the blower fan for the heat function
  2. 2-Way Refrigerator
    120 volts A.C. from "shore power" is the 2nd way the fridge works
  3. Water Heater
    120 volts A.C. from "shore power" also operates the water heater
I WANT TO BUY YOUR DUETTE RANGE/HEATER!!!
Quote:
Simon had been under cover for years and now is in the open, it has been raining and I can see where a few of the figerglass repairs are needing some patching, what is your suggestion to having that done.
I would have to see the areas in question to give you a better idea. Got Pictures?

From Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon says
I was just looking at the pictures and the story of your '78. Several things caught my eye. The interior of Simon is different than yours. For instance I already have a folding burner cover on the stove, looks to be factory. My dining area is completely different. There was a 4 chest drawer rather than the pedestal table, the table slid into slides on that chest. And where you had a 'childs bed' I have sliding door storage. I have since taken down one of the drawers to lower the chest and provide a flat area to eat or whatever. I have also removed the two upper open shelves on either side of the ' living area' to open up and allow more light. Were both of ours altered before we got them or were there different models made in '78? I have a window unit vs the top ac unit.
Fiber Stream only made one "model" but offered several "options" at extra cost. Mine was just as the factory produced it when I bought it, however my "Child's Bed" was an option. Your sliding door storage was standard, although the open shelves were either an option, or a PO's (previous owner's) modification. Roof air was an option, but I installed Air Conditioning after-market. Mine came with a 12 volt D.C. evaporative (swamp) cooler. It worked "OK" (but not well) in the desert but was useless in Arkansas.

Your chest of drawer's with the removable table sounds like a PO's modification to me. I have never seen/heard/read about that feature before now. My little shelf under the front window I made myself.