Hi, I am sort of new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Happier Camper
Colorado
Hi, I am sort of new

Hi I have been reading forums on this site for a couple of years and finally decided to join in. I just posted a "Hi I am new" thread, tried to add a photo and accidentally deleted my post instead. So here goes again.

I am newly retired, been a life long backpacker and tent camper but these old bones do not like such a rough life anymore. I bought a Happier Camper last fall and am enjoying it very much although backing up is still a learning curve.

I live in the highest incorporated city in the US - Leadville, CO. It is gorgeous and I love it but the winters are getting too cold and long hence the trailer and plans for traveling more often especially to visit my sister and brother who both live in Florida woo hoo!
Nancy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #2

Name: Amy
Trailer: BigFoot
Alberta
Welcome.
www.directuganda.com
Mountain Moma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Nancy and the backing up will come to you. Even long time truckers have a whoops once in a while.....although they won't admit it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, I am sort of new

Welcome, Nancy! Glad you're enjoying your Happier Camper- they're neat little units.

Posting pictures is not exactly intuitive. See post #7 in the "Forums 101" thread in the Administration, News, and Announcements section.

Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #5

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Welcome! We LOVE camping up near Leadville! So many lovely places near there! Look forward to seeing your travels and adventures with your Happier Camper!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Nancy; have you made plans yet for the Florida trip, route and campground reservations? We have two months all planned out for this coming winter in Florida, including a few days visiting Mary's sister in Fort Pierce. Had to reserve at a campground there as no place to park the trailer in the development where the sister lives. We have found to get campsites where we want in Florida that reservations have to be made many months in advance, so we do ours as soon as the reservation window opens. At a campground in Georgia we are reserved 3 years out. Have a great trip.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

Colorado
I have not made any reservations yet because I am not sure exactly when I will be heading down. My sister has a spare bedroom and we get along great so I just spend almost all my time at her house and take day trips instead of camping down there. I do camp on the way down though and have found almost all campgrounds to be mostly deserted in December/January. I had Clayton State Park in New Mexico all to myself this January.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #8

Colorado
I love living up here (most of the time). There are so many places I take hikes where I don't see a soul. I love that although I do carry bear spray since I hike alone.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #9

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Nancy. I'm in Grand Junction so if you head this way give me a shout. Check out the facebook groups too for FGRV's. You can catch me in the UHaul group.
I'm always looking for camping buddies.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #10

Name: Joan
Trailer: In the market
Arizona
Happier Camper

How exciting for you!!! Please keep us posted on how you like your Happier Camper. I've been keeping an eye on those for a while. Any comments welcome.
Muletrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

Colorado
Ah Grand Junction. I love that area but I have to laugh because remember that snow storm that came mid-May. Leadville was expecting a lot of snow so I figured I am outta here! Colorado National Monument was supposed to be north of the snow storm and it's beautiful so I literally tossed stuff in the trailer and rushed off to get out of the storms path. No such luck though. The snow was coming down thick by the time I got to the monument. It was still gorgeous though.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I love Colorado National Monument, with some of the neatest canyon rim hikes ever, It must have been spectacular in the snow.

Walt
Old 08-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #13

Colorado
It was absolutely gorgeous in the snow. I took a lot of photos but have to check out how to post them first.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #14

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Easy. At the bottom of this Quick Reply window, click on Go Advanced, then click on the usual paper clip icon. That gives you a window with the option for up to 4 attachments.

Walt
Old 08-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #15

Colorado
Well looks like I took more photos of flowers in the snow than of the canyons. I was rather anxious to get to the campground that evening while it was still snowing. The next day was cold but clear.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5903.jpg   IMG_5922.jpg  

IMG_5924.jpg   IMG_5905.jpg  

Old 08-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #16

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy C. View Post
I have not made any reservations yet because I am not sure exactly when I will be heading down. My sister has a spare bedroom and we get along great so I just spend almost all my time at her house and take day trips instead of camping down there. I do camp on the way down though and have found almost all campgrounds to be mostly deserted in December/January. I had Clayton State Park in New Mexico all to myself this January.
Clayton Lake State Park is quite the gem. Our west coast trip in 2003 was when we stopped there in June, on the way back east. A helpful hint on backing is to initially move the bottom of the steering wheel the way you want the trailer to go.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote