hi I am yolanda - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Yolanda
Trailer: 13ft scamp and 18ft serro scotty
Virginia
hi I am yolanda

Hello I'm yolanda and I own a 1979 13ft scamp trailer..and it needs some some work..like replacing the 3 way fridge and sealing the roof vent as it leaks a little.
Attached Thumbnails
20150726_210017.jpg   20150728_114052.jpg  

20150728_112710.jpg   20150728_114247.jpg  

20150728_114836.jpg   20150728_112842.jpg  

20150726_210122.jpg  
yolivi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Yolanda and welcome to the group. First tell us what's the problem with the refrigerator and what has been done to troubleshoot the problem.
And... BTW, I don't think that the refrigerator standing outside your Scamp will fit...LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Virginia
1979 scamp

Hi bob..I bought this not too long ago and I took it camping already and camped in it for 3 days..and I noticed the 3 way fridge wasn't working I bought the nostalgia fridge before I got the camper lol. .I wanted to switch it out with the old one..but I don't know how to do that. .and I also noticed the roof vent was leaking a little when it rained really hard the other day..so I need help on what I can do to prevent any water coming in..thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

Hi Again...
If you don't have a manual for the refrigerator, just Google the Make and Model number followed by "Manual", they are all over the internet and you can print one out for free. If you can't find a manual, post the info here and someone will find a link for you.

Did you try the refrigerator on all 3 sources?
Sniff around for any ammonia like smell, if you can smell ammonia it's a terminal case and will require major repairs or replacement.
FYI: The Boiler Cover is the tall square or curved upright part on the back of the refrigerator. You will have to take off the outside vent covers to proceed.

First and most important, it has to be level
Then check that the vents on top of the boiler cover are clear, just a spider web or two inside the boiler vent tube can keep it from working.

Then try 120VAC setting and let it sit overnight. Be sure you have 120 power to the trailer.
The boiler cover will get warm. If it doesn't you can usually unplug the refrigerator from it's outlet and plug it into an extension cord and try again.
If it gets cold on 120 VAC the rest can be fixed.

Even if it still doesn't work, try the LP next, it may have a bad heating element. Again try to light it and keep it on overnight and see if the cover is warm and the inside is cold(er)

Most often they will work on 120 VAC, but the LP section needs cleaning.
If it is hooked up for 12 volt operating you can also try that, but the trailers cord will have to be plugged in over night to keep the converter running or the battery will just run down.

Next let us know what happens

Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Virginia
1979 scamp

Hi Bob thanks for all the information. .I will have my husband try all that and see what happens. .and I will let u know ..
Old 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Hi, Yolanda, that is a super cute Scamp you have! Great looking little fridge also.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Be aware that RV fridges don't cool down quickly, and usually they can only get about 35 degrees cooler than ambient temperature. Also they need to have stuff inside the fridge to really hold the temp; an empty RV fridge will warm back up fast on a summer day.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Virginia
Hi Pam. .thank you. .I really love this fridge..the color fits perfectly with my Turquoise blue accessories in my scamp.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Virginia
Yes I noticed that..this is my second scamp..my old fridge from my first 1983 scamp didn't work either..I guess when it's old and haven't used it they stop working. .
Old 07-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #10

Name: RoseMarie
Trailer: 1983 Scamp and 1981 Scotty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolivi75 View Post
Yes I noticed that..this is my second scamp..my old fridge from my first 1983 scamp didn't work either..I guess when it's old and haven't used it they stop working. .
You told me it works when I bought it. That's upsetting.

I had logged on to say "hi" when I saw your name. Then I read what you said about the frig.

--RoseMarie
RoseMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #11

Virginia
Hi Rosemarie it supposed to work I used it once and it didn't get too cold..that doesn't mean it don't work..I think old fridge needs maintenance that's all..and u got a good deal from this scamp..hopefully u figure out how to use it..it is a 3 way fridge I only tried the electric..supposed to work propane and battery and electric. .
Old 07-31-2015, 03:54 PM   #12

Propane refrigerators that work at all will usually respond to some service. Ones that don't cool well often have a poor fitting door gasket and/or a dirty burner and gas jet orifice. Even mine, that was working very well for over a year suddenly gave me problems on a recent trip, but a good cleaning and a new jet got everything going again. About all that damages them is being operated out of level and ammonia leaks.

But the 40 y.o. one originally in my Huinter still worked fine and I sold it for a restoration job and put in one that had better storage for our needs.

The manual for the refrigerator outlines cleaning and periodic maintenance procedures.