Hi, I am Zach Ackerman - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Zach
Trailer: Hunter
Michigan
Hi, I am Zach Ackerman

I am from Traverse City, MI and my fiancee and I just acquired a 1972 Compact II which is being restored for our wedding/honeymoon in August! Our tow vehicle is a 2004 Volkswagen Touareg with the 4.2L V8.

The camper was sitting in my fiancee's family barn for a decade or so and was hardly used. The pictures below show the condition of the RV when we pulled it out of the barn, along with the beginning stages of the restoration project.

Our biggest hurdle in the remodel project so far is repairing the pop-top. the "hat" has been repaired countless times and has a crack running the full width. I will be taking it into a local fiberglass repair shop to get an estimate on repair or replacement, but I cannot imagine it will be cheap. I prefer to DIY, but my experience with fiberglass is limited at best, so has anyone attempted to repair or replace their pop-top for their Compact II?

We also have a quote to replace the vinyl for the pop-top due to its condition. At $700 it may be worth it, but again DIYing is the preferred way to go. I did see a few posts where people used tent material as a replacement... May be worth looking into as we get further into the restoration.

We are excited to make the camper our own and learn new things along the way!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0171.jpg   IMG_0253.jpg  

IMG_0260.jpg   IMG_0262.jpg  

IMG_0174.jpg   IMG_0181.jpg  

IMG_0255.jpg   IMG_0256.jpg  

IMG_0259.jpg   IMG_0263.jpg  

Old 03-17-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Zach, and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

Lots of potential in that old trailer! By looking through the sale ads and archives for old Hunter trailers, you may run across some that have been rehabbed to get some ideas. For specific questions, the "Site Search/Google" function (bottom of the search menu in the task bar just under your log-in information) does a pretty good job of turning up old threads on almost any subject imaginable. I know there have been several on DIY replacement of the boot fabric. Of course, you can always ask away!

For a beginner's introduction to fiberglassing, this is the go-to thread: You Can Repair Fiberglass

Make sure you check the dates on the tires (stamped in the sidewall as WWYY, week and year). If they've been sitting ten years, they should be replaced, no matter the appearance. You'll want to service the bearings, too.

Best wishes!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #3

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Texas
Registry
repair to the material under pop top

Hi - last year I bought a '74 and the replacement had already been done -they used a sunbrella type material without any windows. It works pretty well and was probably a less expensive method. We put in an a/c so we don't leave windows open much but last week-end we did and I think that "windows" in the material would have helped the air circulation. The po used wood to secure the top edge. see photo.Click image for larger version

Name:	inside poptop.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	105478 I guess I don't know how to attach photo. sorry it's sideways.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #4

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
looks like a great project, a friend bought a Compact last year, great trailer
Jan
Old 05-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Name: Zach
Trailer: Hunter
Michigan
Thank you macmarilyn and Jan! I apologize for not responding sooner, but I am hoping to have a big work weekend on the camper starting today.

I ended up cutting out a section of fiberglass in the pop top because the fiberglass had cracked and deformed. A new patch will be put in this weekend. My mother and I are working on seeing new rip-stop nylon for the boot around the pop top based on suggestions from other posts I had read.

The project ended up beating a frame-off restoration after I noticed a cracked weld on the frame. So the next step is to reunite the freshly painted frame with the old body and get to work on rebuilding the interior.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcackerman View Post
Thank you macmarilyn and Jan! I apologize for not responding sooner, but I am hoping to have a big work weekend on the camper starting today.

I ended up cutting out a section of fiberglass in the pop top because the fiberglass had cracked and deformed. A new patch will be put in this weekend. My mother and I are working on seeing new rip-stop nylon for the boot around the pop top based on suggestions from other posts I had read.

The project ended up beating a frame-off restoration after I noticed a cracked weld on the frame. So the next step is to reunite the freshly painted frame with the old body and get to work on rebuilding the interior.
Rip stop nylon is not a great material to use for the pop top. That is because nylon is susceptible to UV sun damage. A polyester canvas type of fabric such as Sunbrella or one of the many variations of that type of outdoor rated fabric is a much better investment. A few dollars more to achieve a longer lasting product. Also be sure to use heavy duty thread that is rated for UV resistance. Otherwise the thread might fail before the canvas wears out.

Sure nylon is used for tents but tents are not typically going to last for as many years and are not kept up except for shorter periods of time. Even the better quality Easy Up shelters will me made using polyester fabric rather than nylon. Nylon fabric color also fades much more quickly because it is not truly UV resistant.