Hi! I just bought a play pac - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
Hi! I just bought a play pac

I haven't managed to get It to my home yet due to flat tires , no title and having been in a barn for 15 years. I am sure I will be back here often to bet advice, because I don't know a thing about it. Aside from the play PAC I have my old 14' Coleman cadet c class that I think I will be selling to finance repairs to the play PAC. feel free to send me any words is advice!!!
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
No title BECAREFUL
A word of caution --> Don't do any remodeling until you get the title.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #3

New York
Registry
Do you know how I might do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
No title BECAREFUL
A word of caution --> Don't do any remodeling until you get the title.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
There have been several discussions about obtaining titles on this site, so do a little searching for various advice. Certainly, you will want to check with your DMV to see what they require for your state. If the trailer has old license plates attached, this might give them the info they need about any previous titles/licenses. You will probably also need the VIN off the trailer (located in various spots on different trailers, so you'll have to search for it!) and the bill of sale from the owner. Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Congrats on your new purchase! Do post pictures even before you start remodeling. We like pictures! Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Meghan
Congratulations on your latest acquisition. I had a 72-73 PlaPac and nearly wept when I sold it. The family outgrew it so we bought a Coleman Pop-Up. I don't think we had the Coleman for much more than two years before we sold that. I have a lot, I mean a LOT of fond memories of my old PlaPac and am looking forward to at least that many when I get my Scamp roadworthy.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Michael
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
Hi, Meghan

Sounds like we've got another no-title-oh-well purchaser!
You may be in luck- or not.
In the state of New York (yours?), no title is issued for vehicles older than 1972.
If your trailer is older than that, you're home free!
If it's newer, park it in your yard.
Without the paperwork including a Certificate of Title, New York won't let the trailer on the road.
Next time, check with DMV before you buy.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #8

New York
Registry
I can't imagine that there is no way to get the title. I am sure it happens all the time. Just looking for the best way to do it.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Searching for the title starts with the individual you bought the trailer from. You need to work backwards from there. It may be easy or can be a real PITA. The question to ask is who was the last titled owner?

And no, it doesn't happen all the time... occasionally for sure when it comes to molded trailers and members here on FiberglassRV. I know in Oregon, titles are necessary and I wouldn't purchase a trailer without one.

Best of luck
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #10

New York
Registry
The last titled owner died 15 years ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Searching for the title starts with the individual you bought the trailer from. You need to work backwards from there. It may be easy or can be a real PITA. The question to ask is who was the last titled owner?

And no, it doesn't happen all the time... occasionally for sure when it comes to molded trailers and members here on FiberglassRV. I know in Oregon, titles are necessary and I wouldn't purchase a trailer without one.

Best of luck
Old 05-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #11

Registry
Like Donna said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Searching for the title starts with the individual you bought the trailer from.
Best of luck
Don't compound the problem by losing track of the only person that you can PROVE to have had at least custody of the trailer. They've got your money and want to keep it- take them with you to the DMV.

That's your best legal option.

Francesca
Old 05-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 1973Playpac&1960Yellowstone
Florida
Cool

Quote:
I can't imagine that there is no way to get the title. I am sure it happens all the time. Just looking for the best way to do it.
Meghan I can get you a title all you need is a notorized bill of sale and a notorized form stating that the serial number.Dont go to the dmv asking a bunch of questions that just gets you in deeper than you need to.I will help out in and way I can Your play pac so far makes 3 that I know of mine and Camilla's and now yours.I am haveing to completely redo mine inside,almost done.Jim&Donna
olhippiejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #13

New York
Registry
How will you get a title? I have been to DMV and the State Police...talked to about 15 people at both places. The answers I get are conflicting. When I am told to do one thing I go to the next step and I am told I absolutely cant do that and they have even threatened to take the camper away.
I think I posted pics in my profile.
I hope to go pick it up on Monday...if I make enough money this weekend to buy new tires...got my fingers crossed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhippiejim View Post
Meghan I can get you a title all you need is a notorized bill of sale and a notorized form stating that the serial number.Dont go to the dmv asking a bunch of questions that just gets you in deeper than you need to.I will help out in and way I can Your play pac so far makes 3 that I know of mine and Camilla's and now yours.I am haveing to completely redo mine inside,almost done.Jim&Donna
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #14

New York
Registry
BTW...where is the serial number???

Quote:
Old 05-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Hey, Ol' Hippie Jim!

Now, that's news we can use!

How about filling us all in right now on how a New York Resident can legally get a vehicle Title with the help of someone in Florida?

Francesca
Old 05-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Hi, Meghan

Looks like your new trailer might be more than "Yard Art" after all!
I thought if we looked hard enough we might find a solution...check this out!
The following is from a site about titling what they're calling "barn finds", which pretty much describes your circumstances.
It's posted for scooter owners, but I can't see why it wouldn't work for your trailer
The site is at Register a barn find - scoot.net

Here's their recommended method for New York:
BEGIN QUOTE
New York
Take ALL of these things down to the DMV, wait in line and hand them all over.
Original Bill of Sale by New York state resident(needs to include price, year/make/model, odometer reading and VIN number and the names and signatures of the buyer and the seller.) A bill of sale from an out-of-state resident may need to be notarized and include additional details about ownership history.
Completed FORM DTF-802 (Statement of Transaction) - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/dtf802.pdf
Completed FORM MV-51B (Statement of Ownership) - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv51b.pdf
Completed FORM MV-82 (Vehicle Registration/Title Application) - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv82.pdf
Verification of the VIN # (tracing/rubbing/clear photograph of VIN or signed statement from a police officer)
Proof of name and date of birth (NYS Driver's license or "six points of identification" found at the bottom of NYS DMV - Identification Required to Apply for a Driver License)
Proof of insurance (original insurance card)
You walk out with a NON-TRANSFERRABLE registration and the TRANSFERRABLE one comes from Albany in 4-6 weeks. Also- it only cost someone $63.00 (and that included the tax they had to pay on the vehicle purchase price!).
If you want historical or vintage (scooter must be 25 years or older) license plates, you must mail or visit the Albany DMV directly. The local DMV office will not be able to handle this - www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv440H.pdf.
(Thanks Tom and Anna, via Stian) For reference: http://www.iscootny.com/faq
[Giving credit where due: This was written and first posted by "Chonky" (Allison) on Gotham Rally board. - Rob S.]
END QUOTE

This all requires full cooperation from the seller, of course.
If you can't find a VIN/serial #, you might have to get a new one of those, too.

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Old 05-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 1973Playpac&1960Yellowstone
Florida
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hey, Ol' Hippie Jim!

Now, that's news we can use!

How about filling us all in right now on how a New York Resident can legally get a vehicle Title with the help of someone in Florida?

Francesca
I have 2 forms that need to be filled out one bill of sales and one proof of serial number has to be filled out and signed by a notary ,police.we use to have to go to alabama or georgia to get title for vehicles before,Florida was loosing a lot of money so they have changed the law if the vehicle was built before 1974.I have copy of the forms and have done it before for old trailers form out of state.if nothing else I could get R Done here and then send you title from fl.so you can get title in your state.not many people knows about this not even the folks at our dmv in our town but I have the main mans name of the dmv in Tallahasse and he can straighten them out over the phone.It can be done.there computers don' t go back far enough to check
olhippiejim is offline   Reply With Quote