Hi Iam new...a newbie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #21

Name: Mitchell
Trailer: Shopping
Ontario
Squeezing an egg thru the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
With small 8" golf cart wheels swapped on, one should be able to get a Snoozy through a 84" (standard 7' door) door opening. I presently do this for my Scamp, and have ruled out the Park Liner because there is no way to make it through the 7' opening.

I measured and with a removal of some wood I can get the door opening to exactly 84" . Otherwise its a big job raising the lentil and removing bricks and losing most of my loft in the garage.

What is your Scamp factory height spec you have. I assume no a/c. What is exact height of your door opening? How much clearance do you have from roof to top of garage door?

This website is a wealth of knowledge.
RETIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another way to lower the trailer is to add weight inside to lower it on it's suspension. You could use sand bags, barrels of water, etc.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #23

Ontario
Last resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Another way to lower the trailer is to add weight inside to lower it on it's suspension. You could use sand bags, barrels of water, etc.

That is a last resort. I don't think I will do it but its a idea if I need 1/4 inch lower.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile My answers to your questions

1) I did it! See:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-35986.html

(Go to post #10 for some photos.)

2) Eggsactly! We get 22 mpg.

3) Our Subaru Outback is also rated for 2000#. Our Trillium loaded for a two month trip weighed in at Quartzsite at 1840#. Go by the rating in your TV documentation. If the dealer is willing to give you a greater rating IN WRITING, go for it. Otherwise:

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!

4) I like the Trillium for obvious reasons. Go here:

Ignore the contact information on the video. Instead go here:

trilliumrv.com

I do think that Scamps have wood floors exposed on the bottom.

Good luck in your search, whatever you get.

BTW my wife and I are also retired.

Roger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Michell, my garage door opening is exactly 84", and when I had the stock worn out Scamp axle on the trailer, I could leave the tires on the 8" golf cart wheels and just get the scamp through the opening. I then added a fantastic fan and found that I had to remove the cover to just clear the opening. I now have replaced my axle with a flexi-ride axle that allows adjusting the ride height of the trailer. My problems began with this change, as I changed from the leading control arm set-up, to a trailing control arm configuration. This should have had little change to the factory ride height, HOWEVER, the shop that made the change for me and beefed up my frame, did not follow my instructions that I had gotten off FGRV postings, and they added approximately 4 additional inches to the ride height. This now forced me to remove the tires from the 8" wheels in order to fit through the door opening, but I do NOT have to remove the fantastic fan cover anymore.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
1) ..........Otherwise:

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!..........Roger
I can't believe that you are still posting this piece of undocumented scare mongering.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #27

Ontario
That's great

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Michell, my garage door opening is exactly 84", and when I had the stock worn out Scamp axle on the trailer, I could leave the tires on the 8" golf cart wheels and just get the scamp through the opening. I then added a fantastic fan and found that I had to remove the cover to just clear the opening. I now have replaced my axle with a flexi-ride axle that allows adjusting the ride height of the trailer. My problems began with this change, as I changed from the leading control arm set-up, to a trailing control arm configuration. This should have had little change to the factory ride height, HOWEVER, the shop that made the change for me and beefed up my frame, did not follow my instructions that I had gotten off FGRV postings, and they added approximately 4 additional inches to the ride height. This now forced me to remove the tires from the 8" wheels in order to fit through the door opening, but I do NOT have to remove the fantastic fan cover anymore.
That's great to hear that!! With golf card rims and rubber you can get it in the garage. That stops the driveway from being all marked up. Two more questions. What was the original factory height specs of your Scamp? About how much originally clearance was there to top of garage door with 8" rims and tires?

This great news now I can serious start looking probably for a Scamp and most likely a new one.The Scamp I like because usually one and occasional two will use it. Looks like I will get a 13 ft. even thou I could put a 16 ft. in my garage. The Scamp I noticed also comes with a toilet and shower...perfect.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #28

Ontario
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
1) I did it! See:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-35986.html

(Go to post #10 for some photos.)

2) Eggsactly! We get 22 mpg.

3) Our Subaru Outback is also rated for 2000#. Our Trillium loaded for a two month trip weighed in at Quartzsite at 1840#. Go by the rating in your TV documentation. If the dealer is willing to give you a greater rating IN WRITING, go for it. Otherwise:

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!

4) I like the Trillium for obvious reasons. Go here:

Ignore the contact information on the video. Instead go here:

trilliumrv.com

I do think that Scamps have wood floors exposed on the bottom.

Good luck in your search, whatever you get.

BTW my wife and I are also retired.

Roger
Well I was forced to retire from work due to artritus (sp) but money wise I am well off (not that well but no problems paying bill or buying and all is paid off with $$$ in the bank) I am 61 now. Money is the least of my problems. I have bad balance walk poorly but I can drive like I stole it...hehe.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Keep in mind the David wrote: "Michell, my garage door opening is exactly 84", and when I had the stock worn out Scamp axle on the trailer.." not likely you will find the "worn out" axle on a new or newer trailers you are looking at - you may need to start looking at trailers over 15 years or so before you will start to see the difference in height cased by an old axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #30

Ontario
My best door opening

I figured out my max garage door opening. Garage door opening is exactly 84" at best with minor changes. With a 90" tall egg on 175/80R-13 wheels with 7- 7 1/4 " hubs. I see it is best/easy to use 8" (plus 1/2" rim lip all around) golf cart wheels with no rubber. Now the egg height works out to be 82.5". This is close and I hope the total height of egg includes roof fan. If I get the lip on the rim removed I will gain another 1/2". That might do the trick.

I now have to find specs on a new egg I wish to buy.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED View Post
I figured out my max garage door opening. Garage door opening is exactly 84" at best with minor changes. With a 90" tall egg on 175/80R-13 wheels with 7- 7 1/4 " hubs. I see it is best/easy to use 8" (plus 1/2" rim lip all around) golf cart wheels with no rubber. Now the egg height works out to be 82.5". This is close and I hope the total height of egg includes roof fan. If I get the lip on the rim removed I will gain another 1/2". That might do the trick.

I now have to find specs on a new egg I wish to buy.
My 1990 Scamp is shorter than the new Scamps, as after their fire destroyed the molds, their new molds were designed to be a few inches taller.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #32

Ontario
Thanks Bob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Don't know if I have ever seen an FGRV with a shower and a porta-potty. Unless someone took out the original loo, by the time they get a shower they usually have on board black & gray water holding tanks.
I have seen pop-up tent trailers with showers and cassette loo's though.

Any yes, the Scamp is all fiberglass, but the 13' is very, very tight for more than 2 with the bathroom/shower option.

As mentioned, the Hunter Compact series as well as the Campsters were all designed to fit in a garage as-is. Our Compact-II has a bathroom and an outside shower panel, but again, is suited for no more than two.
Thank You Bob Miller.
I now see Scamp offers a shower/toilet. What I want and I believe Scamp will do custom work is only a shower. In shower I will put in a portable potti. Store it there and you also get privacy. The porta-potti is easier to handle (no tanks, easier to clean). This is all in a 13 ft. egg.

As for the number of people using the egg. Usually 65% of time one person occupancy (not in toilet..hehe). 30% of time 2 people and no more than 5% of time 3 people.

Now if the Scamp website worked then I can see the floor plans. (Someone tell them the website is not 100% functional).
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRED;378467=
The porta-potti is easier to handle (no tanks, easier to clean).
I disagree.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Be aware, the 13' Scamp with a bathroom is really small inside for 2 peeps. That's the primary reason why we sold ours...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I disagree.
Me too! I would much rather deal with the dumping a black holding tank than a porta potty. Been there done that.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #36

Ya... But(t).... The holding tank on the Scamp bathroom is soooo small that it sometimes has to be dumped in as little as 2-3 days, a real pain in the tush when you have to either find a dump site or move the trailer just to dump. And wheeled totes are even messier than many porta-potty tanks.

I find both the Dometic and 3 gallon tank on the Bi-Pots easy to deal with, and you don't have to carry that extra tongue weight.

But this sounds like a Guys vs. Ladies issue.....

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ya... But(t).... The holding tank on the Scamp bathroom is soooo small that it sometimes has to be dumped in as little as 2-3 days, a real pain in the tush when you have to either find a dump site or move the trailer just to dump. And wheeled totes are even messier than many porta-potty tanks.

LOL Bob the key word in the above is "Sometimes" With only one or two people using the trailer I can get by for *much* longer than 2-3 days without having to drain mine off to a tote. Have actually only had to drain it off to a tote a few times in six years of camping an average of 130 days per year - sometimes more. Would rather only have to drain it off once or twice a year than as frequently as a porta potty needs to be done - daily? Small totes can be dumped in the same fashion & place as a porta potty so no need to move the trailer. Having the correct tote may be the key. Have found that having one with the correct fittings and a size I can easily handle doesn't make it any more messy than I recall from the days of dealing with a porta potty.

Yup it does sound like a girl vs guy thing though!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #38

FWIW: This post is intended for general consumption...

I agree that the old (and even some newer) Porta-Potty (brand) units were undersize in capacity and a mess to drain.

But Porta-Potty design has come along way over the years.

With a 3-5 gallon tank and pour spouts for dumping, newer designs offer significant improvements, as well as take up very little space in smaller rigs. With the 3 gallon tank, the Bi-Pot fits perfectly (by 3/8") under the front couch on the Lil' BigFoot.

Although my Hunter Compact-II has a 6 gallon holding tank in its factory loo, I am going to take that out and replace it with a Dometic porta-loo, again because we find it more convenient than having to look for (and often pay for) a dump station.

BTW: Most of our overnights are in more primitive c/g's and on desert & forest BLM sites, where dump stations aren't common.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have no issues with dumping the black tank. I generally need to buy more beer anyway.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
cadet for sale in Ont

you might want to check the classified saection on this site.....someone has a cadet for sale in ON.....I beleive with the poptop it may fit inside a standard gargae door opening
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote