Hi! I'm a new user and new to me 1979 Boler 1700RG owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-23-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: Birgit
Trailer: 1976 Ventura Monarch towing with RAV4 V6 2008
British Columbia
Hi! I'm a new user and new to me 1979 Boler 1700RG owner

Hello!

I have loved Bolers since I spotted them on the roads as a kid. SO cute and just awesome looking.

Last week, I became the ecstatic owner of a 1979 Boler 1700 RGH in almost all of it's original glory and in fantastic shape. We're towing with a 2008 Rav4 V6 (whoa, our mileage was halved), but it towed well. We maintained 2700 RPM's most of the time at around 95 km/hr. No sway or difficulties,.... mirrors would have been nice to have right away and not 400km later,... didn't think of that.

New windows and seals. Esolite insolation in amazing shape, just figured out it's actually the original - can't believe the condition, just awesome.

Wiring original and almost perfect working order! Powertron converter must have a sticky relay. We are unable to charge the battery with shore power and the receptacles don't work without shore power, but that's no biggie, we can charge with our tow vehicle and don't need receptacles for anything when away from power, we live simply. All the lights work off the battery, water pump off the battery, and an after market Fantastic Fan also works off the battery. Not without the battery, though, on shore power,... that's the relay thing in the converter, I think.

Water system has been pressurized and works A-OK. Toilet flushes with unusual charm. lol. I love it. Reeks, but flushes well.

The oven lights up easily and appears to never have been used. All 4 burners light like little beauts and also appear to have been never used. Spotless everywhere. The fridge cools very well on shore power, but has yet to operate on 12 Volt, I think this must be because of the converter. Also, we have not managed to light the pilot for gas operation, but I expect a cleaning or a new burner head type thing might be the fix for that as well. Thanks to this site and the many threads, I have poured over everything in the last week.

The cushions have been reupholstered with vinyl, but the originals were included and are in fantastic condition too. ! Thrilled. I just covered the vinyl with the originals, they look so much better.

We'd love to modify it, but honestly, the original condition is so nostalgic, interior decorating past new blinds and curtains is just not a priority; maybe some painting of the cupboard doors.

We bought the camper with the understanding the furnace doesn't work. Any thoughts? Should we have it tested? Serviced? Just buy a new one?

Our first project will be to replace the axel with a new one, though it appears fine, as does the frame, hardly any rust at all. Also, brakes and maybe leaf springs and wheels and bearings. We plan to go off the beaten path, so I'm thinking that making sure this part is bomber, is a good first step.

One day, when I've recovered from the event of sending thousands of $'s to a stranger for a camper I have never seen and then picking it up and bringing it 800 km home with no tow experience and many other exciting ups and downs through it all, I will write a juicy story on how (not) to buy a camper. However, satire aside, we freaking scored in the end, not sure how that happened,.... we bought our baby for $8500. Seems we could have paid more, seems we could have paid less. However, nowhere have I seen one in it's original glory like this one, and that counts for something with me.

I'll post some pics soon. Love this forum for the support and info - wowza's!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Birgit, congratulations. It's nice to see someone who appreciates original and who will preserve this nice piece of history......now go out and make memories.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #3

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Congrats on the Boler. I fully understand your enthusiasm, enjoy your trailer!
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Congrats! The first Fiberglass trailer we saw in person, was a 13 foot Boler and we were smitten, even though we ended up with a Scamp! Sounds like a great find!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Sounds wonderful, we would love some pictures
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #6

British Columbia
PICS!

THanks to you all, for stoking my excitement with yours! It really is a little gem.

Not sure if my upload worked,.... We'll see here.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

British Columbia
Interior shot

I'll get more pics up once I figure out multiple uploads,....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 08:45 AM   #8

British Columbia
One more

I wanted to show the ceiling, more than the floor. The floor is nice and clean with Lino, but the ceiling is amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

British Columbia
Regarding old threads,...

I would love some thoughts regarding my converter. I've done some searching and reading. The most relevant thread is not really related, started by someone looking for wiring support. Is this a case of starting a new thread or should I jump into the old one?

Thanks,...

Tags
boler