Hi, I'm Aaron! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Aaron, I sent you a private message regarding the tow rating on your Subaru Legacy.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #16

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Scamp
California
My son and DIL use my 2014 Scamp 13' no bathroom, no air. wife and 16 month old sleep on the double bed. My son sleeps on the bunk. When the baby is older, he will sleep on the bunk of course.

Mine is wired for air...I may install it someday. I didn't want a bathroom because I don't want to deal with black water, etc. yuck.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #17

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Welcome to FGRV camping friend! I have a scamp 13er. Have slept my 24 year old daughter in dinette bed with me while 6 foot son sleeps on sofa. All good. They just stay in bed while I make breakfast-lazy bums!

I too use a 70's TV tray table for sitting on bunk during inclement weather to eat. If everyone needs to come in, just undo the bed to dinette again and watch movies on TV I installed.

I know this may sound weird, but I like the challenges of living small. You learn how to organize really quick and enjoy simple pleasures. Porta Pottie works great for midnight calls as I shower and all other stuff in campground facilities. Do have a gray water tank, also enough for me. No interest in black tank stuff.

I bought used. Keep your eyes peeled here and use search tempest to get all of craigslist. Or buy new, but I understand Scamp has a wait.

Either way, I just think you can't go wrong with an egg and you'll be just tickled to get off the ground, out of a tent and into your little trailer. I'm sending you good vibes to find the camper you want. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #18

Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Thank you all for your great input! I look forward to the search. I gave my wife my login last night so she could ask any questions that I may have forgotten. In you opinion, how big is too "big" for a small unit?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
That's a loaded question, Aaron... We have a name for it: "2'-itis," or the "just a little bigger" syndrome. It's easy to succumb to the lure of a bigger trailer, and in some cases it's warranted- an increase in family size, a change in travel style (say from weekend use to extended travel in retirement).

So how big is too big? One is when you outgrow a right-sized tow vehicle, so that you end up driving a monster to work everyday just so you can use it to pull a trailer a few weekends a year. Two is when the trailer becomes such a burden to clean, maintain, store, prep, hitch, and tow that you find yourself using it less.

What's going to be right-sized for you? Only you can say.

I did pull up the owner's manual for a 2011 Subaru Legacy/Outback, and it confirms that the Legacy version only has a 1000 pound towing capacity. So for now pretty much any molded fiberglass trailer is going to be too big. Are you considering an upgrade?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #20

Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
We have been considering a small SUV for a while now, so I think we could not worry too much about the tow vehicle being the Legacy.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 AM   #21

Arizona
Registry
That's good, and it opens up a lot more options for you. If you can handle being around a "mature crowd" , you might consider visiting a fiberglass egg rally this spring. You could see many different makes and models in one place, both vintage and newer. Many have an "open house" time, but if not most owners love to show off their eggs. The "More" tab at the top links to a map with information about events all over NA. Event hosts can tell you what would be best in terms of a visit.

Or if you think you might be ordering something new, you can contact the manufacturer and they may be able to set you up with a local owner willing to demo their trailer. Most have an owner referral program.

First-hand experience trumps all the well-intended advice in cyberspace when it come to choosing the right trailer.