Hi, I'm Aaron! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: In the market
Indiana
Smile Hi, I'm Aaron!

Hello everyone! I have been watching the community of tiny campers for a while now and I am looking to find one to make my own. My wife and I haven't camped since our son was born 19 months ago, but we would like to begin again. All of our prior camping was in a tent, but we would like something a little more "contained". I just wanted to get everyone's input before I go out and buy something. Who is the best? Who is the lightest? All of the questions a "newbie" would have coming in to this. I'm happy to join this group and look forward to talking with everyone!
ag812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Aaron!

There's no "best," only best-for-you. Everyone has different needs in a trailer depending on how you travel and camp. Choices range from bare-bones tents-on-wheels to large full-featured units.

For example, we are four and camp at state parks without hookups but with shower facilities, so a basic 13' Scamp with bunks works perfectly for us.

Since you asked about the lightest, I guess you may have a limitation based on the rating of your intended tow vehicle. That would be a starting point, and the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section has useful information about what various makes and models weigh when loaded for camping. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data. There are a couple of outliers (probably empty) but you can expect about 1300-1500 pounds loaded for the smallest.

Our newer Scamp weighs about 1700-1800 pounds packed and provisioned.

If tell us a little more about your needs, tow vehicle, and budget, I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions. The classified ads and archives here and at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale are a good place to get a feel for what's available and prices.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:02 AM   #3

Indiana
Thanks for the info! Here is a little more about my needs:

- Tow Vehicle is a 2011 Subaru Legacy (not sure on towing ability yet)
- I plan to camp in places with and without hook ups
- Trying to keep the budget low... around $15K if possible
- My wife refuses to consider a teardrop
Old 02-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
With a 19-mo I'd refuse a teardrop, too!

Seriously, though, check your owner's manual. Subarus have a variety of tow ratings, but the one thing they seem to have in common is a low tongue weight limit, like 200 pounds. Since a minimum of 10% is generally recommended for camping trailers, that means you are limited to 2000 pounds or the published tow rating, whichever is less.

That means a 13' trailer without a bathroom. With your budget you could buy a brand-new Scamp, but I think production is booked for the spring and summer already, so you'd have to wait for the fall.

Then there is the Happier Camper HC1. It's an innovative new design. Google it and you should turn up their website. It might go over $15K with options, but it's sure cool!

You might also want to check out Little Joe trailers. They're made in Colorado.

You could also pick up a very nice used 13'er for well under your budget, but it will take some searching, quick action, careful inspection, and possibly a long drive. Use the extra for the inevitable maintenance items and campground fees.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure it has electric brakes.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Indiana
That is all very informative! Thank you very much for all of your help. How old are most of the people camping in these units? Some of the newer companies like Happier Camper seem retro looking but geared towards the younger crowd, while the Scamp seems to be styled for the older generations.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Plenty of vintage eggs are being snapped up by younger folks. You'll be cool in the campground either way... .
Old 02-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #7

Indiana
That's good to know! How often do you use your Scamp? And, my wife wants to know if a bathroom is necessary? We always used the campground ones, but a private one would be nice.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #8

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
We rely on a portapotty

We are new to FGRVs. Purchased our 13ft Scamp in July 2015. A huge step up from a tent, even without a bathroom. We have a portapotty for late night visits and inclement weather. I love that portapotty! It has made a huge difference in the experience and so much easier to clean and maintain than an RV bathroom. Of course, if you will be camping in places without facilities, then a bathroom might be a necessity...I would rather have the sofa since we leave our bed made 100% of the time. This way we have somewhere to sit. Eventually we might put in a front dinette, but first we are trying a folding table to see if that will meet our needs. I found the cutest little, light weight folding table. We will try it out on the next trip, March 4-6.
Julie and Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Usually one longer trip (to a CA beach) and three shorter trips a year. Given the prices of hotels on or near the beach, I figure we've already recouped the cost of our used Scamp.

We use campground facilities. There is a spot for a porta-potty in the Scamp, but my wife vetoed that idea. A bathroom would be nice, but with more than 2 people, you're looking at a 16' trailer and a bigger tow vehicle.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
In my OPINION, a Trillium 4500 is a nice compromise between a 13' and a 16' trailer. Basically a stretch 13'. Nearly a queen sized bed for mom and dad. It typically does not have a bathroom, so a porta pottie is a good thing.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Indiana
Do you have an A/C in your unit? I can do without, but my wife would like one. I know we didn't have one in our tent, but it would be nice if it is possible.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
I don't, and in our area (low humidity, high altitude) and at the beach, it's not needed. But in the humid East and Midwest it might be nice, or even necessary with a little one (i.e., afternoon naps). It's an option on the new Scamps.

Adding AC to an older trailer can be difficult, because it requires reinforcing the roof. Some folks add a window unit in a cabinet and vent it through the shell- but it can be tricky to get the support, air circulation, and condensate drainage right. At one time Scamp did it that way from the factory.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #13

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We love our 13 foot, 1982 Scamp with front bunks and bought it May 2015. Last year we used it on six weekend camping trips in Colorado and Nebraska and on a 10 day trip out to Lake Tahoe, with stops in Nevada and Utah on the way there and back. We LOVE it. Our kids are older, but the front bunk is perfect for them. We don't use a port a potty, just the campground facilities.

Regarding AC, my extended family is in eastern Nebraska where summertime temps and humidity are both high. Over Labor Day weekend, we used a couple of fans with the windows and screen door open overnight and slept comfortably, even though the overnight low was only 82 degrees! Definitely something to try if you find a camper you love without AC and are unsure about installing it.

We tent camped for almost twenty years and could not be happier with our Scamp!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #14

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
No AC for me. I like simplicity. I do have a 12VDC fan that we use. It also helps to start a fire:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...one-57925.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Aaron, I sent you a private message regarding the tow rating on your Subaru Legacy.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #16

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
My son and DIL use my 2014 Scamp 13' no bathroom, no air. wife and 16 month old sleep on the double bed. My son sleeps on the bunk. When the baby is older, he will sleep on the bunk of course.

Mine is wired for air...I may install it someday. I didn't want a bathroom because I don't want to deal with black water, etc. yuck.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #17

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Welcome to FGRV camping friend! I have a scamp 13er. Have slept my 24 year old daughter in dinette bed with me while 6 foot son sleeps on sofa. All good. They just stay in bed while I make breakfast-lazy bums!

I too use a 70's TV tray table for sitting on bunk during inclement weather to eat. If everyone needs to come in, just undo the bed to dinette again and watch movies on TV I installed.

I know this may sound weird, but I like the challenges of living small. You learn how to organize really quick and enjoy simple pleasures. Porta Pottie works great for midnight calls as I shower and all other stuff in campground facilities. Do have a gray water tank, also enough for me. No interest in black tank stuff.

I bought used. Keep your eyes peeled here and use search tempest to get all of craigslist. Or buy new, but I understand Scamp has a wait.

Either way, I just think you can't go wrong with an egg and you'll be just tickled to get off the ground, out of a tent and into your little trailer. I'm sending you good vibes to find the camper you want. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #18

Indiana
Thank you all for your great input! I look forward to the search. I gave my wife my login last night so she could ask any questions that I may have forgotten. In you opinion, how big is too "big" for a small unit?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #19

Arizona
Registry
That's a loaded question, Aaron... We have a name for it: "2'-itis," or the "just a little bigger" syndrome. It's easy to succumb to the lure of a bigger trailer, and in some cases it's warranted- an increase in family size, a change in travel style (say from weekend use to extended travel in retirement).

So how big is too big? One is when you outgrow a right-sized tow vehicle, so that you end up driving a monster to work everyday just so you can use it to pull a trailer a few weekends a year. Two is when the trailer becomes such a burden to clean, maintain, store, prep, hitch, and tow that you find yourself using it less.

What's going to be right-sized for you? Only you can say.

I did pull up the owner's manual for a 2011 Subaru Legacy/Outback, and it confirms that the Legacy version only has a 1000 pound towing capacity. So for now pretty much any molded fiberglass trailer is going to be too big. Are you considering an upgrade?
Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #20

Indiana
We have been considering a small SUV for a while now, so I think we could not worry too much about the tow vehicle being the Legacy.