Hi, I'm Brian - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Hi, I'm Brian

I live in Portland, OR and put down a refundable deposite on a 13" Scamp. I'm debating all the pros and cons of spending 12 thousand dollars on it. Should I? I read the thread on theft and it bothered me a bit.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Where is theft not a problem?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

Oregon
True, but is it more of a problem in campgrounds?
Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Brian
As a long time camper we have never had anything stolen while camping....on the other hand have had our home broke into
The best info I can offer is just use common sense .... Lock your trailer and tow vehicle when away from site
and don't leave any valuables lying around in plain view
Get out camp & enjoy life and take the fear mongers comments with a grain of salt

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
While camping with a trailer, I'd say you're no more vulnerable than with any other form of travel, and in many places, less so. Common sense, reasonable precautions, and heeding local warnings (for example, generators are a high-theft item at the CA beach spots we frequent, and signs are posted conspicuously)- you'll be at least as safe as at home. I'm actually more concerned about what could happen at home while I'm gone than what might happen while camping.

My greatest concern is theft of the whole trailer, which is probably more likely at home or in storage. Insurance often does not recognize the higher-than-typical resale value of fiberglass eggs. I have gradually added some additional layers of deterrent when stored.

You have to keep things in perspective. The most dangerous thing you do is to get in your car and drive. Do you worry about that? Does it stop you from driving? So, get out and camp, if that's what you really want to do.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

Oregon
It's spending the money on it that I'm debating the most to myself. I doubt anyone on here has ever regretted the purchase.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
...Lock your trailer and tow vehicle when away from site and don't leave any valuables lying around in plain sight...

When I'm leaving camp for an extended time I leave one curtain open that gives a clear view of the inside- so they can see all the valuable stuff we don't have!
Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
It's spending the money on it that I'm debating the most to myself. I doubt anyone on here has ever regretted the purchase.

If spending $12K on a new or near-new one is giving you pause, an alternative you might consider is an older used one as a starting point. If you buy carefully and it doesn't work out, you don't stand to lose much. And it it does work out, you can also sell it and buy the new one with greater confidence.

Whatever you decide, the current strong market for small fiberglass eggs is in your favor.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

Oregon
A little off topic, but how do you prevent floor rot? I live in the pacific NW and it rains a lot. Do you apply wood sealer underneath every year?
Old 06-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Not off topic… these are apprehensions we all have when getting started.

Almost all floor rot comes from above, not below. Scamp coats the bottom of the floor, so moisture from below is unlikely to be a problem.

Prevention means keeping windows and vents sealed and dealing promptly with plumbing leaks. Check windows and vents every so often during heavy rains. Inspect inside the benches and cabinets near windows when you do spring and fall cleaning. To put it in perspective, my Scamp is 7 years old, and so far, no leaks anywhere. I do have one rivet that is allowing a slight seepage (due to my own failure to replace the plastic cover when needed), so I'll have to deal with that. No issues with windows, and I test them at least once a year with the pressure wand at a commercial car wash.

Mildew, more than rot, might be a problem in the NW when the trailer is stored for periods of time. There have been some discussions in past threads, but, honestly, I didn't pay too much attention since it's not a problem in my dry climate. I know there are solutions.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'm 20 miles from Portland. Dri-Z keeps the humidity down in winter/fall if you don't have power. I stick a dehumidifier inside (with a hose that runs down into the sink drain so I don't have to empty the tank.)

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #12

Oregon
Thanks for the information. I am leaning towards jumping in and buying it.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
In that case, I wish you the best in your new venture, Brian. Is this a brand-new one or a late-model used one?

We bought ours used, and it seemed like a lot of money at the time, but the experiences we've had in it and the time together we've spent together as a family have been priceless.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #14

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome Brian. We've been camping for over 50 years all over the United States and so far nothing has been stolen. I may have been very lucky because I'm a very trusting person and most of my camping stuff has been drug around so much a thief would probably want to leave me something out of pity. Seriously don't let it bother you just take normal precautions and you will be ok.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #15

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Brian, like the others who've responded, we've been camping for many years all over the western parts of the united States and into British Columbia and Alberta in Canada. We've never had anything stolen and most of the time I feel just as safe, if not safer, in a campground than I do at home. Let common sense be your guide and you'll be OK. Fiberglass trailers hold their value well so remember even if it doesn't work out you'd probably be able to sell your trailer after giving camping in it a try for close to what you paid for it. As for mold and mildew, yes, the PNW can be a bit rough on things. We keep dehumidifying crystals in our trailer over the winter and store our cushions in the house. If you have a place to park it where you can access electricity, you can keep a small heater in it set on a very low setting to help keep the damp out.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #16

Oregon
It's a 2015 13' Scamp.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #17

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Brian, I'll add my two cents. I've camped for over 40 years. Started in tents moved to a pop-up and now a fiberglass trailer. I too try to store things out of sight ie. Behind the trailer , under the trailer. I have on several occasions left Colemen stoves, lanterns etc out in the open on picnic tables, I have never had one thing stolen. Good luck with your decision but I wouldn't be overly concerned about theft.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
It's a 2015 13' Scamp.

Nice! When is it due to be hatched?
Old 06-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #19

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1981 Burro 13'
North Carolina
Welcome Brian. I concur with the "don't worry about it" philosophy. In checking the archives of my internal hard drive, brain, I can't remember ever having anything stolen from a campsite, except by real packrats in the desert. I've seen other campers do a lot of stupid things, but don't remember theft being one of them. If you've got the money, go for it! If it's questionable, as others have suggested, find a good used one. I'm very happy with my 1980 Burro 13', though in a year or two when I have a bigger truck, I'll move to a 16 or 17' before venturing on a year long USA/Canada trip. The resale value holds well on the FGRVs. Good luck and happy camping.