Hi I'm Bryan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Colorado
Hi I'm Bryan

Hi! I'm Bryan!

I am considering buying a 1972 Minit trailer for my wife and 18 mo. old son to explore the west in this summer.

I am also determining whether it is within my budget after the state of Colorado (Denver) taxes and fees. But I can't seem to get a definitive or even ballpark amount to determine whether the total cost will be within my range. Does anyone have any experience with registering a fiberglass camper in Colorado or Denver?

Here are a few more questions I have:
-Is a fiberglass camper Class C or D?
-Do I need the original MSRP to register? Minit information is basically non-existent.

Thanks for any help!
Denver 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Bryan. I've never heard of a class D in reference to RVs. A Class A is RV a big motorhome shaped like a bus, Class B is a small motorhome that looks like an oversized van, and Class C is a motorhome that's larger than a class B but smaller than a Class A and built on a truck chassis. To my knowledge a trailer is just a trailer, but maybe someone is more knowledgeable than I am about this. As for the registration question, I'm just guessing, but I wouldn't think you'd need the original MSRP for that. Maybe someone at your local vehicle registration department can help you on that?
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Bryant

Gotta say, unless you are buying a completely restored 1972 Minite FGRV (meaning big $$$) I think that registration fees may be the least of your investment concerns.

Older, non-restored FGRV's, frequently require at least minimal fixing and, if you can't do it all yourself, it will become a money pit.

Some initial concerns would be: Tires,($200) any over 6 years old must be replaced immediately, there is a date stamp on each tire. Appliances: Any that you don't see working yourself usually require repairs. If there is a non-op 3-way refrigerator, and it is original, count on about $600. 3 way refrigerators can't simple be "re-charged" when they don't work. Even a simple thing like a new battery will set you back $100 and, if there are any electrical or plumbing issues, you better have an empty credit card to work with.

If the Minit has what's called a "Torsion" axle, and rides a bit low, that's another big-buck replacement item.

I'd suggest that you find someone that is very familiar with FGRV's to do a total inspection for you and see if you are buying something that is ready-to-go or is potentially a very deep money pit.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Bob is correct on most things, but he is adverse to installing used appliances. A fridge can be obtained, used, for prices ranging from free, to more than new. I have sourced two RM211's for free, and one free RM36. I have never paid more then $100 for a fridge. Some of the fridges I have look almost new.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
NOPE... Not adverse to used appliances at all, in fact I gutted almost all of the appliances out of a 6 y.o. crashed slide in camper a few years back and the RM2193, the NT-16 furnace and the water put from that are all currently in my Hunter.

In an earlier series of threads I did express concern with reusing 30+ y.o. furnaces & stoves in particular though, especially by those that are not skilled in gas appliance service and repair.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:03 AM   #6

Name: Deb
Trailer: 13 ft. Scamp
Colorado
Registered my '84 Scamp in Durango, CO. County tax last year was 56.84. Lic fee 40.27. I think it depends on your purchase price. You don't need original MSRP to register.
Durangodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Just got home from 6 nights Scamping near Vail.
My 2002 S-19 Scamp cost $65 dollars for the Colorado plates.
Colorado uses the trailer value to determine the cost of your registration.
Thom
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #8

Name: Poh
Trailer: currently shopping
British Columbia

Hi, I am Crystal. I have been looking to get a trailer for touring round N. America. Recently work changed and I will be making my travel dream earlier than expected. I am new to camping, thus have a lot to learn.

Unfortunately I bought my SUV just a year ago without thinking about towing a trailer weight capacity. I have Mitsubishi Outlander V6 2013 model and have a towing capacity of 3500 lbs.

Would like any advice on what type of trailer I should be looking for? Since I will be retiring, could like a trailer with a bathroom for convenience. What is the max dry weight trailer I should limit myself to?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Lucky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi I'm Bryan

Hi, Crystal!

I would first encourage you to read everything your owner's manual says about towing. There may be some caveats or specifications of additional equipment that must be installed on the vehicle or trailer.

Second, I would avoid looking at dry weights. It's often hard to know what's included in those figures. In general, any options (such as AC or a furnace) are generally not included. On my Scamp, for example, almost everything is optional! A better source of realistic weight information is the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html. Post #197 has a link to a handy Excel spreadsheet of the data.

All that said, though, you have a fair number of choices that will keep you under your 3500 pound limit. Pretty much anything 16' and under, and possibly a few larger trailers, will be within your limits.

You may want to spend some time looking at the classified ads (and archives of past sales) on this site to get some ideas of what's out there.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote