Hi I'm considering a scamp and wanted to say hi! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
Hi I'm considering a scamp and wanted to say hi!

Hello all,
Thanks for letting me join, I've come here to get educated!
I have come across a 1984 scamp for sale. I already have an aliner but I thought I'd consider this one as it's kind of my "fantasy camper" for retirement years - not any time soon btw!

I believe it's the smallest version with a dinette and bunk. I don't know much about what to look for.

Price is $3000 - is that middle range or high or low?

I tow with a Nissan frontier pickup.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Hi and welcome! Price depends on condition. IMO $3000 sounds low-to-middle for one with a few small problems but basically about ready to camp in.

Look on the forum for the 'buyer's checklist'. It will tell you what to check. You want to poke around the underside with a pointy object to look for soft spots in the wood floor. Check for any signs of leaks. See if the torsion axle is worn out (I think you should be able to insert your fist vertically between tire and the wheel well above it). There's more you can look at... use the 'google search' function in the drop down menu to find other threads that have answered this same question in the past.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree. $3000 is in the low-to-middle range price-wise. Better than a project, but not fully camp-ready.

I also agree that the biggest single issue I'd check for is floor rot. I wouldn't just look under the trailer, since most rot starts from the top and results from leaks at windows, vents, and plumbing. Take a flashlight and screwdriver and test the floor inside. Pay special attention inside seats and cabinets near the perimeter of the trailer. If there is any significant floor rot, I'd pass.

Regarding the axle, in addition to doing the "fist test," I'd also check for uneven tire wear and jack up each side of the trailer (a small floor jack on the frame near the axle, never on the axle itself, is best). Make sure the wheels drop down as the frame goes up. Little or no movement means the rubber inside is hardened and the axle is shot. If so, I wouldn't necessarily pass on the trailer, but I'd try to negotiate down the price a bit. A new axle will run $600-800, but it will be a good investment, and you can add brakes, something most older 13'ers don't have and many modern tow vehicles require.

In general, at that price and age, you need to have a "rehab fund" in your budget. There will be issues. Wiring can be problematic. You may need new tires (over 6 years is worn out, regardless of tread) and you'll want to service the bearings. A lot depends on how handy you are.

A link to the aforementioned buyer's checklist is here: Fiberglass RV - Document Center
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 AM   #4

Georgia
Thank you so much for the replies. I will print the checklist.
She has camped in it but I think after a few trips she decided that towing was not for her and she will return to van camping.
I need to see if it will fit in my garage. Probably too tall.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Likely is, if you have a standard 7' garage, but replacing the road wheels with tiny 8" wheels for storage (with or without tires) is one solution that has worked for a number of people. Another person made circular wooden plugs to mount on the hubs, and someone else dropped the hubs onto small dollies. In some cases, just reducing air pressure in the tires and pushing the door up a bit more than usual is all it takes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Thank you so much for the replies. I will print the checklist.
She has camped in it but I think after a few trips she decided that towing was not for her and she will return to van camping.
Early Scamp13s were designed to fit into a standard garage, if you don't have rooftop A/C it should be no problem. When installing a fantastic fan it is best to get a flat top instead of a dome but even the dome will fit with a little maneuvering.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

Georgia
Really? That is encouraging news. There is no rooftop ac
There is a vent - i cant tell from the fuzzy photo she sent if it's a fantastic fan.

Shes going to clean it and we'll have lunch one day so can go look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Early Scamp13s were designed to fit into a standard garage, if you don't have rooftop A/C it should be no problem. When installing a fantastic fan it is best to get a flat top instead of a dome but even the dome will fit with a little maneuvering.

Tags
scamp