Hi,I'm Dachia.. in the market for a Scamp or Burro, I think - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I just found this tip on another site, sounds like two great ideas.... especially the phone number, but you will be giving up some privacy.

"We had a decal from ASPCA which let people know there was an animal inside our rig and I also wrote our cell phone no. on it in case of emergency. Fortunately we never received any emergency calls..."

Old 05-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #16

Name: Dachia
Trailer: in the market for a Scamp or Burro
South Dakota
Bob, agreed about the generator.
Jon, thanks. I had read that these little guys can be not too bad in the heat... Still reading. Lots to figure in... or out.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #17

South Dakota
Bob, just saw your other message. That is a great idea. I had seen those decals in mobile home parks, I hadn't thought of putting it in my RV. I had thought of putting handwritten notes on all 4 sides, giving cell number. ASPCA decal might seem a bit more "not trailer trash" ;-)
Old 05-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #18

South Dakota
A friend just posted a video that is a great find.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #19

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
The white shell certainly helps.
You will need a minimum of a fantastic vent fan.
I would install low-e reflective window tint / insulation (Only reflective, no R value) to keep the solar gain low. The main reason a car heats up so much in the sun is the huge windows. Cars also have no insulation what-so-ever in most cases, and more often than not, the car isn't white. Keep the sun off of the interior of the trailer. Keep the vent fan on and the furthest possible window cracked open, and it will not get much hotter than ambient temp.
Also try not to park on hot black tarmac if you can avoid it, and always look for shade to park it. Not possible to park in shade? That brings me to the next suggestion.

I highly suggest getting a 100 watt solar panel to keep the fan running at all times. You would then be able to rest assured that it will operate so long as the sun is shining (which is exactly when it needs to be working!) without damaging your battery. You can mount the panel on the roof horizontal and it will still be plenty efficient to run a fantastic fan vent.

Window film;
Gila LES361 Heat Control Residential Window Film, Platinum, 36-Inch by 15-Feet - Weatherproofing Window Insulation Kits - Amazon.com

Solar panel that is EXCELLENT;
Amazon.com : Renogy 100W Mono Starter Kit: 100W Solar Panel+20' Solar Cable+30A PWM Charge Controller+Z Bracket Mounts : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This panel is a small price to pay for peace of mind. Not to mention that it will allow you to keep your furnace operational for the chilly nights you may experience as well as charge electronics etc. You said you will often be without hookups, so I think it will be invaluable. Each panel has the added benefit of shading part of the roof from the sun. They should be mounted up above the surface.

Depending on what your budget / need is, you can install enough of these panels to actually run an AC reliably. If you want to go the AC rout without spending nearly this much money you can use this generator;
Amazon.com: Earthquake IG800W Model 11613 Portable 800-Watt Inverter Generator with 40cc 4-Cycle OHV Viper Engine (CARB Compliant): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Along with a 1500VA Uninterruptible Power Supply to run a ~5,000 BTU AC.
The UPS handles the surge load. When the compressor kicks on it trips the overload on that little generator, which then switches to battery backup. The generator auto resets, which then triggers the UPS to switch back to it. That generator can run a 5k BTU all day even in extreme heat. It only fails to start the compressor since that requires a large surge of power.

Good AC for this;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJYGQLQ/...I2R55JG47S21M5

It has flash memory so there is no worry that it won't come back on after a power interruption. Up until these more recent models I avoided digital AC units for this exact reason. Ferrets HATE heat, and I can't be having them roast because of an AC not turning back on!

That's the lowest cost and most simple method of having AC you can count on for your dogs. That generator has a vacuum diaphragm powered fuel circulation pump so it will not vaporlock in hot environments.

Because your animals lives are on the line here, I would suggest a monitoring system that will send an alert to your phone should the system fail for any reason.

One more idea! Evaporative cooling can be made to run on that solar panel extremely easily and cost effectively. This will only work in dry climates. However, if that's what you are dealing with then you can easily keep the trailer at 70 degrees even when it's 90 out.

If you have any questions about the suggestions I have made, or anything else let me know. I am more than happy to help.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #20

South Dakota
Kenji (very cool name, BTW) wow, wow and yet again wow. This is GREAT information! Thank you so much!!! I'll be reading this a few more times and checking out your links. I saw a video where they used a solar panel, but it looked so big I thought it might be too heavy for the roof, but maybe they come in different sizes and I could distribute them across the roof. I had not realized there was a monitoring system that could send me an alert. Brilliant. The main two days I"m concerned about will be in Ohio, so I think pretty dry. While I have done many roadtrips with the dogs in the minivan, there are a couple changes now... hence thinking about the RV... but I also might just do this full time. I love roadtrips and spend a lot of time on the road... so all your ideas are great for the long haul. Thank you so much!
Old 05-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #21

California
Not to be sour grapes here but.....

Those are all interesting ideas, but have you done what's suggested and can you report actual results???
What's being suggested sounds not only like a lot of theory, but a lot of $$$ as well.

BTW: There aren't many FGRV's with roofs physically big and strong enough to support as much solar power as it would take to run even the smallest a/c and running an unattended generator is a no-no anyway.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:18 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Ummm. Well Bob Since 100 w of solar, on a flexible panel weighs 4 lbs.
100W Watt 12V Volt Semi Flexible Bendable Efficiency PV Cell Mono Solar Panel | eBay
"While this solar panel packs 100W of power, it only weighs a mere 4lbs"

500W would only weigh 20 lbs. Given a large enough inverter and battery bank to provide the start-up current, this could possibly run a 5000 btu air conditioner. Six panels are probably required though.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #23

California
The example given was for panels that look like they will weigh a lot more than 4 lbs. each and, at 22"x47" 4 will be a crowd on a small FGRV's roof.

In checking specs for 5000 BTU room a/c's it looks like an average current draw is about 4.5 to 5 amps, that's about 550 to 600 watts meaning, in reality that even 6 panels would not be able to keep up unless you could somehow assure 100% output.

My point was that these are ideas that might work out on paper but, unless someone actually proves the example, it's still just theory and can only add false hope to the needs of the o.p. In some past posts they often read like someone wishing that their idea would get tried at someone else's expense.

And in the op's example, suggesting adding about $1000+ in extra expenses for something that "might" work, without an existing example, just isn't fair.....

This topic is oft visited and, despite all of the knowledge and hype, I've yet to see anyone build such as system on an FGRV. These are vacation trailers, not space shuttles, simplicity and cost are usually paramount.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #24

South Dakota
Thanks Bob and David.... I appreciate your input and advice.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The example given was for panels that look like they will weigh a lot more than 4 lbs. each and, at 22"x47" 4 will be a crowd on a small FGRV's roof.
Hmmm... not sure where you are getting your dimensions. From the linked page:
Dimensions: 41.3 X 21.3 X 0.12 In

I realize we are only talking a 5.7 x 0.7 difference.

Four on the roof would be a crowed, but one on a rock guard, on each end, and two on the roof is not out of line.

Assuming that the numbers are accurate, (it is likely that they are optimistic) these solar cells have an energy density of 0.114 W / square inch. Lets assume that the roof of a trailer is 72" x 120". This is room for 982 Watts. Enough for a 5000 BTU air conditioner, with some left over. Using the established 4 lbs for 100 watts, that would be about 40 lbs spread over the whole roof. Not unreasonable.

The cost would be high. The solar panels would have to be custom made. Several solar controllers would be required. A large battery bank, and large inverter would also be necessary. Hey, maybe even a tongue jack, with a motorized wheel, to keep the trailer pointing the right way. But, it is possible.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #26

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
If you have one with a fantastic fan where you can set the air to be drawn out or in. In the out position it keeps the camper cooler by drawing the heat out.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I've been following Chris and Cherie of Technomadia for a number of years. If they say it's next to impossible to get enough solar to run an A/C, I'm very inclined to believe them. Read the entire story here: The (Almost) Fantasy of Solar-Powered RV Air Conditioning | Technomadia
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #28

South Dakota
Have heard/read about that Fantastic Fan... on the list. ;-)

Tags
burro, scamp