Hi, I'm definitely a newbie here and to this concept of camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Hi, I'm definitely a newbie here and to this concept of camping

Hello and welcome to my state of confusion. My wife and I have kicked around getting a travel trailer or motorhome for years and just never made it. She passed last year and now I'm retired (as of 5/31 anyway) and plenty of time on my hands. Don't need a big behemoth. I like the FG trailers from what I've seen. The problem is it appears most are sold direct so how in the devil do can you determine what fits you just right?

Don't need a lot of space. I'm used to cramped quarters having spent 20 years in the submarine service. Don't need things (except my computer & cell phone). Thinking about a 13'er or maybe 16'. Needs a toilet/shower since I plan to full time in it. Browsed the internet looking at Casita, Scamps, Burro's and not any further ahead of the game. I'll be towing with a 2008 GMC Acadia with tow package so I don't think any of those will be a problem.

Perhaps I should actually post this someplace other than the Welcome area but just trying to get some direction.

Hey, thanks in advance and I'm liking what I see here.

Hope to soon be on the road.

Cheers.
Nick
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
The problem is it appears most are sold direct so how in the devil do can you determine what fits you just right?

Browsed the internet looking at Casita, Scamps, Burro's and not any further ahead of the game.
There are several strategies you might employ:
  1. All of the current manufacturers maintain lists of past customers who agree to show their trailers.
  2. Drop in on any of the rallys that are on the calander. Anyone is welcome, even if you don't have a fiberglass trailer.
  3. I'm sure others will jump in this discussion with ideas for you
Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If your looking for a toilet/shower then you will find that is more common to the 16'.
As suggested attending a meet is a great way to see a lot of different trailer makes all in one place. The closest one to you I can see posted is being held July 15 -17, 2011 - Mid-Atlantic/Pocono Egg Fest at Delaware Water Gap KOA. The other thing is to look for used ones for sale in your area and just start going out to look at the various ones before deciding which works for you. I can tell you that in the case of the Scamps there is not a whole lot of difference between a new one and one built in the the 90's. The trailer register at the top of this form is also a great way to take a look at the different trailers as a number of people have added interior photos to their register.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #4

Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Drop in on any of the rallys that are on the calander. Anyone is welcome, even if you don't have a fiberglass trailer.
2011 (8th Annual) Oregon Gathering

July 14-17, 2011

Bullard's Beach State Park, Bandon, Oregon

Saturday is usually "Open House" where everyone goes to look at everyone else's trailer
Old 04-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I thought Albany was upstate NY.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Gezzz now I wonder. I thought of Albany NY first as well but Frederick is correct there is an Albany in Oregon as well........
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #7

Registry
Talking There are 34 Albany's in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I thought Albany was upstate NY.
There are 34 Albany's in the world. It's a rather common name.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Gezzz now I wonder. I thought of Albany NY first as well but Frederick is correct there is an Albany in Oregon as well........
And it is Oregon. My profile didn't pick up the state so I added with the City. I'm actually pretty much in transit for a bit. Heading to California mid-May to Mid-Jun then to Wyoming for a couple days then on the Pennsylvania for a bit before heading down to Branson, MO to arrive there in Mid July probably. Jeez I could use that trailer now. Oh well.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #9

Name: buddy
Trailer: bigfoot b17/13 boler/15trillium
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
And it is Oregon. My profile didn't pick up the state so I added with the City. I'm actually pretty much in transit for a bit. Heading to California mid-May to Mid-Jun then to Wyoming for a couple days then on the Pennsylvania for a bit before heading down to Branson, MO to arrive there in Mid July probably. Jeez I could use that trailer now. Oh well.

Thanks everyone.
We are new at this too. Just packing up our 17ft Bigfoot for a trip to Branson May 8th The bigfoot has all the things we need Good luck on your plans
buddy hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ah Nick, dang it. Had we met you a week earlier we would have invited you to the NOG at L.L. Stub Stewart SP just west of Portland! We had a gathering of eggs last weekend and you could have viewed first-hand a bunch of different brands/layouts. Shoot. My suggestion is to call Scamp and Casita and Escape and get a list of people who are willing to show you their trailer. Look at as many as you can, even the layouts you THINK you may NOT be interested in.... knowledge is power!

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #11

Texas
Well Donna I did know about that, and was invited up, but was out of the area so wasn't able to attend. Good suggestions here though so going to shoot e-mails off to those folks and see what I can see before I hit the road again.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Nick, are you thinking about new or pre-loved?

A quick search revealed a used Scamp 16 at Larry's RV in Bend OR. 3 hours' drive? At least you could sit in it and see what it's like.
http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/2351970392.html
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Nick, are you thinking about new or pre-loved?

A quick search revealed a used Scamp 16 at Larry's RV in Bend OR. 3 hours' drive? At least you could sit in it and see what it's like.
http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/2351970392.html
I'm thinking whichever works out. I'm certainly not opposed to "pre-loved". I can always give it a bunch more. I'm also not opposed to driving a bit to get it. After all I'll probably have to drive to pick up a new one somewhere too.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

Texas
Quote:
I'm thinking whichever works out. I'm certainly not opposed to "pre-loved". I can always give it a bunch more. I'm also not opposed to driving a bit to get it. After all I'll probably have to drive to pick up a new one somewhere too.
Just read the rest of your post. Bend would be a little tough for me to get to right now. I'm in the process of packing and getting ready to move all my stuff to my sons, but still working for another 3 weeks. Thanks for the heads up. If I get a chance I might give them a call to see if they still have it and drive over. Nice drive this time of year.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome

You LIVE in Albany? Please tell me you eat at Novaks:

Novaks Hungarian Restaurant - Albany,Oregon

We just love it and try to stop there every chance we get.

Our condolences on the passing of your wife, but life must go on.

I think you would be happy in a 13' even with a head (a little nautical term there) because you are only one person, especially with what the gas prices are doing.

We traveled for 7 weeks at a time in our 13' with a porta potti and the front dinette. We like the oil filled radiator type heater. If I didn't have the porta potti, a cassette type has some appeal to me. I don't think I would like handling that "Stinky Slinky" to empty a black water tank.

BTW, Thank you for your service. Subs, eh? I think I am too claustrophobic for that!

We have some members living in or near Albany.
ATTENTION ALBANY, OREGON MEMBERS:
Hey, guys, how about helping a newbie out and showing him your rigs?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #16

Texas
Thanks for the warm welcome Roger.

I've not eaten at Novaks but have been meaning to give it a try. Might have to do that before I leave Albany in 3 weeks.

Thank you for the condolences. Yes life must go on and that's why I'm setting out full time. Something we had talked about doing quite often.

I'm leaning more toward 16'er with a side dinette. Will then leave the bed made up in the back full time. But will be looking at the 13' as well. I don't need much space but definitely want the "head". Hey when you've gotten up in the middle of the night and wandered into the "head" on a submarine and ignore the sign that says "blowing sanitaries" and then absent-mindedly open the ball flapper to flush, a little "Stinky Slinky" ain't no big thing.

Thanks for the call out to the Albany folks. I'm here for 3 more weeks.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a 13' Scamp with front bath, in Seattle: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pnw-46002.html and less than $5,000 !
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Nick,
their is a 1990 16' Casita at Affordable truck and RV sales in Medford, Oregon. Here is their site, good luck, Jay

1990 Casita CASITA 16 Travel Trailer : Affordable Truck & RV
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Re: Novaks, sleeping and moisture

We saw the sign on I-5 for Novaks and just had to try it. (My wife is half Hungarian.) But we only have what amounts to appetizers for two reasons, we can't eat as much as we used to and we have no way to keep leftovers.

We have the dual, rear and front, dinette. We have a single piece foam mattress for the rear where my wife sleeps, and we erect the table as needed in the front where I sleep. We found the 3/4 rear bed is just too small for two persons, as well as the getting up during the night for the person sleeping in the rear, and the claustrophobia. Of course, you wouldn't have that problem.

We place sheet plastic over the cushions to avoid the moisture going through the cushions and condensing at the cold fiberglass causing mold. (There is a thread dealing with moisture problems elsewhere in this site.) Being a former submariner, you probably have a lot of experience with moisture in closed spaces. Of course nuclear subs are probably much more civilized than the old diesel electric.

If you get up our way, feel free to contact us for a tour of Homelet.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #20

Texas
Wow talk about helpful people. Can't remember a site I've ever been on for any reason where the people were so helpful. So much appreciated.

I'm not in the market right this instant for a home. I have to haul a u-haul filled with my last belongs to PA to my sons first and will probably look in the midwest for something. I still of course am very much interested in taking a peek at your abodes if near enough. With only 3 weeks left before heading out with a different type of trailer probably won't get much looking done.

But, that doesn't mean I'm any less interested in your input by any means.

Thanks Roger for those helpful tidbits especially regarding the mold. Lot's of moisture for sure in the subs but mold was not an issue. We were far more concerned with keeping the moisture on the outside where it belonged rather than in the people tank.