Hi! I'm Dena & hopefully about to become a lil bigfoot owner! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The '7 pin' is the wiring plug on the trailer. It plugs into a receptacle you get mounted on or near your back bumper. Then you put the trailer tongue onto the ball and latch it so it can't come off, and plug the cord into your receptacle for the trailer's lights (and brakes, if you have a brake controller) to work.

The brake controller is a gizmo that a place will install for you. They run wires from it to underneath the dashboard, and also put a wire or two (with a fuse) under the hood, so when you step on the brakes the controller senses it and sends a signal to activate the trailer's brakes. The controller also has a lever, usually, that you can slide to manually activate just the trailer brakes (without touching the brake pedal); this is done if the trailer ever started to sway badly, to slow the trailer down without making it jackknife. The latter event is rare, and is mostly avoidable by making sure you have sufficient weight on the trailer's tongue.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #22

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
just an update,

i asked for a pic of the door side and they just sent a few more photos. does anything look odd or off to you? does that bar across the top mean it had an awning at one point?

Mike - thanks for the little towing lesson, sort of makes sense now
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I would check around that vent in the ceiling. There seems to be a difference in the color on the ceiling near one edge of the vent in that picture. Could just be camera angle/lighting.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #24

Saskatchewan
hi Karen,
sorry,could you explain where you see the discolouration? i want to be sure to check it good but im not too sure where you are referring to.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Well, the thing I see that is alarming is the top and bottom halves of the body shell are different colors. What's up with that?

Also, make sure you actually test the power by plugging into the tow vehicle, then to shore power. Also, hook up a city water supply and really check for leaks.

Finally, look at the axle and make sure it has a slightly upward arc at the center. If it's straight or the arc is down, you may be looking at an axle replacement in short order. The new tires are nice but they could also have been installed to cover up abnormal wear, which a worn axle and/or bearings can cause.

Bring a really good, small flashlight so you can get into every nook and crevice. Be thorough.

Good luck!
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #26

Saskatchewan
thanks mike for your reply. it never even caught my attention that the top and bottom are two different colours. curious as to why now. will be sure to add your suggestions to my to do list
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You will also need to have a brake controller installed since this trailer seems to have electric brakes if it has a 7 pin, The brake controller will activate your trailer brakes when you press on your vehicle's brakes.

7 pin doesn't mean it has brakes. Don't make that assumption.

I ordered my Scamp without brakes but did ask for a 7 pin connector. Why you ask........because my Jeep had 7 pin recepticle.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #28

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
7 pin doesn't mean it has brakes. Don't make that assumption.

I ordered my Scamp without brakes but did ask for a 7 pin connector. Why you ask........because my Jeep had 7 pin recepticle.
Good point, easily solved, I will ask tomorrow if it has brakes or not.

Now I'm really curious, any reasons why it would have two different colours? I can ask them that too but just wondering everyone here's thoughts.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #29

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, if you look at the bottom, someone took of the name Casita off, also on the tire cover. Do you know the year?? Just curious.

The stripe is not what has been used in recent times. I can't recall when they changed the stripe to more of a swirl and also the lettering. I think definitely all of the 2000's and to date have the new swirl and lettering, maybe somewhere in 1990's.

It appears to me that there is biege in spots on the bottom. I'd say someone has done something to the finish. But, if you like the trailer and all the appliances work, I'd say buy it. You can always have it painted and any color your heart desires. If you want the stripe and lettering after painting just call the Casita factory and order a set, or just the stripe or just the lettering. Now consider the stripe and lettering are Blue. Hey , you could have your own made whatever color you desire from some vendor that makes decals for vehicles.

Gave you some food for thought didn't I.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #30

Saskatchewan
Hi joy, The trailer is actually a Lil Bigfoot not a Casita not sure that makes a big difference in your thoughts or not. It is a 1987 model. I have emailed the owners in regards to both the colour differences and if it has brakes or not. Definitely not something that would stop my journey to check it out but just wondering what they could have done to it. I do know from reading posts here that the Bigfoot company is of little help for anything in regards to the older trailers put out by the previous owners of company but I am sure someone here would have the logo and lettering to get done up. This place is my new best friend and I do not even own a FGRV yet
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #31

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Through photos and it's look, price seems to be...fair. But with old model and with it's low clearance off the ground, just make sure the frame and floor bolts are not...rotten/cracked. Bearings are cheap and fun if can diy, but bad frame is a head-ache and expensive, even diy would required extensive, detail works, not mention ab skills...Just my thoughts...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 AM   #32

Saskatchewan
Thanks for your input randy. I am concerned that it might be in need of repairs I am not capable of doing. Hoping to remember everything everyone has suggested to check out. Quite a list I have going. I also noticed how low to the ground it is. I wish the photo was a better angle and showed more but will definitely be checking that all out in person.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Between the ceiling vent opening and the rear overhead cabinet is a good sized spot of fabric that looks lighter than the fabric around it. It may be nothing, it may be someone left that vent open and moisture got in or there is a leak around the vent.

I bought my Bigfoot from an RV dealer (someone had traded it in on a much bigger stick trailer) and when I went to see it the second time there had been a huge rainstorm the night before and I found a wet spot feeling around all the fabric on the ceiling (and inside the upper cabinets). It was easily fixed. Hence my focus on the pictures of your ceiling.

Even with what everyone has pointed out or suggested, I would be excited to go check out such a cute Lil Bigfoot!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All said, unless the floor is really rotten, this is a steal at $2500.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #35

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Everyone has been very helpful in giving you things to look for as you make your visit. However, just like in a golf swing with multiple things to remember, you need to file all of those things in the back of your mind and decide how you "feel" about the trailer when you first see it. Like Thomas said, unless the floor is truly rotted through, everything is fixable: new axle, window leaks, exterior paint, etc. What are you comfortable with? If it's truly beyond your capabilities and funds, walk away. Just remember that many repairs can be made with the money you seem to be saving at this price. Best of luck to you! It looks much better at the time of sale than either FG trailer we've owned.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #36

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I seldom see this much nitpicking on newer trailers, much less one that is being offered at a give-away price.

Again, if it rolls, buy it. This may have a few more after-purchase expenses but, unless your feet fall through the floor, hook up and go.....

When are you going to go and buy it?????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #37

Saskatchewan
Heard back from sellers today. The hitch needs to be 12 inches off ground. (So it pulls level. ) Trailer does not have electric brakes as it is Under 1000 pounds. Awning... No longer around. Cloth on it was ripped And thrown away. The last owners before them painted the bottom half..... So they Had the front storage compartment painted At an autobody shop to match the last owners Bottom paint colour. Which explains why you can see bits of the top colour on the bottom. Why on earth would someone do that though??? They also mentioned it was a single axle. Men's nothing to me but I'm sure my mommy will understand the importance lol

Karen- I see now the area you are meaning. Will give it closer inspection. Thank you.

Tom - I think the trailer is adorable and do think 2500 is a steal.

Kevin - thanks for your post. It helped ease my nerves. I will definitely go with my gut instinct and whatever hidden surprises will deal with them along the way.

Bob - I suppose there is so much input because I asked for it, lol. I truly appreciate each and every thing pointed out to me as I would never probably have seen it or thought to question it. It has not scared me away or made me less excited to view, just more comfortable with the whole situation. We were supposed to view on Saturday but due to permit/plate restrictions we have moved it to TOMORROW!!

Just for clarification, if the floor is bad it will be soft, like saggy? I know there can be damage that isn't visible without actually looking but really bad damage would result in soft bendy floors. Right????
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by denabear View Post

Just for clarification, if the floor is bad it will be soft, like saggy? I know there can be damage that isn't visible without actually looking but really bad damage would result in soft bendy floors. Right????
Soft saggy floors are the long term effect of water intrusion - usually from leaks. The best way to spot it is from the bottom. Take one of those plastic blue tarps, slide it under the trailer then slide underneath with a screw driver. Poke the floor anywhere it is a different color. The screw driver tip should only make a very slight dent. Tap on the floor with the handle. Listen for a different sound. It should have a sharp rap sound not a dull thud.

A localized rotten spot can often be fixed with a saturating resin like GitRot. Large areas would need to be replaced, especially near the edges where the floor provides support to the rest of the structure, especially the door hinge area.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #39

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Looking at the rest of this trailer, I would be VERY surprised to see a rotten floor. It looks like it has been well cared for. However, as Thomas says, small squishy areas can be treated without a lot of fuss. I know our VT creaks a bit in the area in front of the door, but I can't find any softness under the trailer. Maybe I'm just too heavy? Let us know when you get the trailer. ( I just know that you will!!)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #40

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Hi Dena

I have a 93 Lil Bigfoot. My wife and I are so happy with it. The ceiling fabric is made up of rat fur on the sides and a smooth vinyl covering down the center. The way the shell is constructed the roof is far stronger than my sisters boler. There can be leaks at the front and rear windows. Easy to reseal. Our back plastic window was badly scratched, wiped down when covered with dust, and or dirt, easily replaced, The boler widow was far harder to get back in place. When we bought our egg a few years ago, the actuating shocks, (Spring loaded, device to open, and hold the rock cover in place.) we needed to replace them, easily done, with new units, if they don't work, can be held open with a stick to the ground, until fixed. Make sure all doors open and that the catches work, easily and cheep to fix. We converted the closet, to a pantry. Check that the water tank holds water, not cracked. Check that the water pump works. I had to replace the water lines, to the sink because they were green, look under both compartments under the rear seats. check that the convertor works on both 12 volt and 120 volt. this my be impossible if power is not close at hand. Our pod at the front had no battery, couldn't check if the lights worked. The door dragged badly at the bottom, and was out of square. I took it apart cut it to be square, replaced the wood core, that was rotten. (totally) The screen was misaligned and was dragging the bottom. Door and screen have aluminum frames and were easily taken apart and squared to fit the opening, or unsquared to fit the misaligned opening. Rocks can damage the front of the fiberglass where the frame goes under the eggshell, and at the front bottom edge of the door opening, where the body shell is shaped out to fit the inset door. The repair can be done easily by someone with glass experience. The fridge may not work, if so it will cost close to $500. to $750. more or less to replace. ours was replaced. Our unit has electric brakes, love them. The brakes and backer plates were replaced. They come shoes and the backers as a set for the best price. ours were badly rusted and shoes cracked. Tekonsha 90195 P3 control is what we use it plugs it to a receptacle under the dash, no wiring to connect, and solder, it is very nice. At the wheel well, our trailer is 22 inches from ground to the bottom of the curve, the top of the ball on the hitch is 14.5 inches, trailer runs quite level. Correct or not ??? We paid $6000.00 for ours, I think for the price it is a steal, work needing to be done, should not make you feel bad, it will make you so happy. Many people here on the forum to give you ideas. It looks so good!!!
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot, lil bigfoot