Hi! I'm Dena & hopefully about to become a lil bigfoot owner! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Dena, the big factor I saw in your pictures was the tongue box. It looks complete and all there. Believe it or not, those are hard to come by. It may not be important to you, but we've had plenty of folks posting wanting one... and they're impossible to find. THAT alone shouldn't make your decision, far from it, but it definitely should be a consideration as far as "how" the trailer has been maintained.

I said before, I'll say it again... best of luck!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You will need to know the height of the coupler on the trailer when it is level. You then measure from the ground up to your receiver on your hitch. You will then need to buy a drawbar that when inserted into your receiver will be at the correct height that your trailer when attached to your vehicle will be level. That can be either up or down, 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 inches one way or another. Once you have that magic number you will need to purchase a drawbar with a 2" ball that when inserted in your receiver will tow the Bigfoot level.
You will also need to have a brake controller installed since this trailer seems to have electric brakes if it has a 7 pin, The brake controller will activate your trailer brakes when you press on your vehicle's brakes.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #17

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Registry
oh my Jim you just hurt my brain lol. ok, being that the trailer is in a small town with if lucky a corner store/gas station this is all stuff i need to do before we leave. do i just need to get them to give us the height of the coupler then go to Canadian tire and give them info and get them to install the needed stuff? ( that's how i roll. lol) or is it something that can easily be done by my mommy who is much more knowledgeable with trailer dealings being a semi driver for over 20 yrs???
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Get the info and then go to Canadian tire, that way if it is wrong you can yell at them instead of your Mom.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #19

Saskatchewan
Registry
iam apparently on facebook too much because i was looking how to "like" your last post. thanks so much for the info, definitely the kind of stuff i need help with. nothing like jumping right in there and learning as you go.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #20

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll let you "like" me
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The '7 pin' is the wiring plug on the trailer. It plugs into a receptacle you get mounted on or near your back bumper. Then you put the trailer tongue onto the ball and latch it so it can't come off, and plug the cord into your receptacle for the trailer's lights (and brakes, if you have a brake controller) to work.

The brake controller is a gizmo that a place will install for you. They run wires from it to underneath the dashboard, and also put a wire or two (with a fuse) under the hood, so when you step on the brakes the controller senses it and sends a signal to activate the trailer's brakes. The controller also has a lever, usually, that you can slide to manually activate just the trailer brakes (without touching the brake pedal); this is done if the trailer ever started to sway badly, to slow the trailer down without making it jackknife. The latter event is rare, and is mostly avoidable by making sure you have sufficient weight on the trailer's tongue.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #22

Saskatchewan
Registry
just an update,

i asked for a pic of the door side and they just sent a few more photos. does anything look odd or off to you? does that bar across the top mean it had an awning at one point?

Mike - thanks for the little towing lesson, sort of makes sense now
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #23

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
I would check around that vent in the ceiling. There seems to be a difference in the color on the ceiling near one edge of the vent in that picture. Could just be camera angle/lighting.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #24

Saskatchewan
Registry
hi Karen,
sorry,could you explain where you see the discolouration? i want to be sure to check it good but im not too sure where you are referring to.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Well, the thing I see that is alarming is the top and bottom halves of the body shell are different colors. What's up with that?

Also, make sure you actually test the power by plugging into the tow vehicle, then to shore power. Also, hook up a city water supply and really check for leaks.

Finally, look at the axle and make sure it has a slightly upward arc at the center. If it's straight or the arc is down, you may be looking at an axle replacement in short order. The new tires are nice but they could also have been installed to cover up abnormal wear, which a worn axle and/or bearings can cause.

Bring a really good, small flashlight so you can get into every nook and crevice. Be thorough.

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #26

Saskatchewan
Registry
thanks mike for your reply. it never even caught my attention that the top and bottom are two different colours. curious as to why now. will be sure to add your suggestions to my to do list
Old 08-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You will also need to have a brake controller installed since this trailer seems to have electric brakes if it has a 7 pin, The brake controller will activate your trailer brakes when you press on your vehicle's brakes.

7 pin doesn't mean it has brakes. Don't make that assumption.

I ordered my Scamp without brakes but did ask for a 7 pin connector. Why you ask........because my Jeep had 7 pin recepticle.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #28

Saskatchewan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
7 pin doesn't mean it has brakes. Don't make that assumption.

I ordered my Scamp without brakes but did ask for a 7 pin connector. Why you ask........because my Jeep had 7 pin recepticle.
Good point, easily solved, I will ask tomorrow if it has brakes or not.

Now I'm really curious, any reasons why it would have two different colours? I can ask them that too but just wondering everyone here's thoughts.

Tags
bigfoot, lil bigfoot