Hi! I'm Dusty Girl and I'm New! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: Kristin
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Hi! I'm Dusty Girl and I'm New!

I'm new to the trailer world, just purchased a 16ft Spirit Deluxe Casita. I'm LOVING everything about it...except the bed. I should've researched this a little more thoroughly (please don't scold me).

Has anyone ever modified the inside of the trailer (ie gotten rid of part of the galley and twin bed/table set up to accommodate a larger bed? The trailer is in such good shape I'd be willing to spend my budgeted money on a better nights sleep.

Any info or stories would be wonderful, thank you!
Yogabella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm guessing that the bed isn't wide enough? Or is a question of mattress comfort?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogabella2 View Post
...just purchased a 16ft Spirit Deluxe Casita. I'm LOVING everything about it...except the bed...Has anyone ever modified the inside of the trailer (ie gotten rid of part of the galley and twin bed/table set up to accommodate a larger bed?...
Bed size is an issue on many fiberglass trailers. I'm pretty sure the larger bed is the main attraction of the 17' Casita over the 16'er but it comes at a high price in weight.

One accommodation that does not involve modifying the trailer is to sleep head-to-toe. That's what we do in our 13' Scamp, which has the same size bed as yours. It works better when you use tapered or mummy-style sleeping bags, so you don't have your bedmate's feet right in your face.

As far as modifications go, there really isn't much galley to begin with- can't imagine doing much there. Some people build an extension that slides out into the aisle at night so you can sleep longways, i.e., heads at the back of the trailer, feet sticking out into the aisle. If the side dinette seats are at the same level, they could be used to expand foot room. The problem is the partition wall. It is structural (helps support the roof), so you can't cut too much out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
There are many, many postings on bed comfort and modifications on this FGRV site. Simply go to the "Search" tab on top, go to the bottom of the pull-down menu to the "Google Search". Enter the words, "bed", "bedding", "bed modifications", "bed comfort", etc. You will find a ton of hints and ideas. One that I don't see very often is to put a genuine sheep fleece mattress topper on top. I have read that these are super comfortable and natural. I just came back from New Zealand but was not easily able to find one. I will probably purchase mine from these folks for my home mattress https://warmthingsonline.com/wool_fleece_mattress_pads.

My bedding is at posting #21. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-54289-2.html. Feel free to send a PM (private message) if you have any questions.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote