Hi I'm Elizabeth J. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Elizabeth
Trailer: Airlight/in the Market
British Columbia
Hi I'm Elizabeth J.

Hello, my husband and I have been actively involved in the vintage trailer movement for a number of years. We've owned 1968 Streamline and a 1967 Airstream Caravel. We restored a 1948 Aero Flight (and beauty!) and we're currently working on a 1955 Airtight. Unfortunately the Airtight is more of a project than we anticipated, and we want to go camping this summer. So we are planning to get a smaller fiberglass trailer, ideally vintage, that will be our second trailer (or primary for this summer). It must be capable now, but we're OK if it, in the longer term, needs work.
ejunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #2

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Have looking i would go with 16' or bigger
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site, thanks for joining

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What trailer did you have in mind?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

British Columbia
We'll, we're not entirely sure. Condition is very important. Next is sleeping- my husband and I don't sleep well in a full size bed- we need something wider or two beds (our Airtight has two twin beds which is fine). We don't need much storage because we'll be towing it with a Ram 1500 with a canopy.
Any suggestions??
Old 03-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #6

Alberta
Registry
Well, I am rather fond of Trillium 4500's. 1300's are nice as well, but the 4500 is 15' vs 13'. But neither has a bath room. Actually rarely they do, but at the sacrifice of the front of the trailer, where my most desired feature would go. I want a front dinette version of the 4500:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-57533.html

There is room for a porta potty, but otherwise no bathroom. My preferences. I really don't know what you are looking for.

On Edit: Here is the front bathroom version:
www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f53/1978-trillium-4500-7-500-00-a-66437.html

The only other major variation is that the front has what is known as a gaucho. This is a couch that the back pulls out and up from the bottom of the cushion. The top of the back cushion has a piano hinge, just below the front window. A couple of poles are inserted to hold up the back of the couch making a bunk bed. I don't get the impression that you need to sleep four people.

The front bath can sleep two people.
The front dinette can sleep three people.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi I'm Elizabeth J.

A Casita Liberty Deluxe might be worth a look. It has a flexible bed arrangement that can be set up as twins or even a long-wise king. You can see the floor plan on their website. Not as common as the side dinette model, but I've seen a few for sale already this year.

Don't think it exactly qualifies as "vintage," though. We don't tend to make as much of the distinction here because many of the newer ones are still being made using 40-year-old designs. My 2008 Scamp is not much different than a 70's-era version.

Problem you'll run into is a lot of the true vintage units lack bathrooms and have very small beds.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thank you for your responses. Interesting views regarding "vintage", they make sense.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hi and welcome to the forum. I would recommend either a Trillium 5500 ( 18 ft ) or a Big Foot 17 gaucho model. The Trillium has a full bath with a dinette up front which converts to about a double bed and a rear dinette which converts to about a queen. The Big Foot has a front dinette converts to about a small double and the rear gaucho makes about a small double so each trailer would meet your needs for sleeping. The bad news both are somewhat rare and can be difficult to find. I have owned each of these trailers and both are very well built. You just might find you prefer them to any other trailer. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Actually, there are two 5500's for sale in Canada:
Trillium 5500 - 17 ft | travel trailers, campers | St. Albert | Kijiji
Trillium 5500 Fiberglass Trailer | travel trailers, campers | City of Toronto | Kijiji

There are also several Bigfoot 17'
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...ationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-rv-motorhome/...ationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-traile...ationFlag=true
Old 03-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Here is a few photos of an early (1980) 17' Bigfoot with some modifications we have made. Two beds and vintage cabin-like interior.

Lake Bardwell, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The trills have a distinct vintage appearance to me, maybe a bit more than the scamp & boler family of shells which have a somewhat different form of vintage look to them. I believe it is called Classic Elegance and Beauty :-)

Because they don't change over the years (decades actually) the Scamps and Bolers are very easy to give a retro look to. With use of paint color the way Happier Camper sometimes does, or with interior décor. And then there is going with a pink flamingo and 50's decorations which can also be a nice glamping look. Have also seen the Jimmy Buffet look and Grateful dead look. They are a white canvas with George Jetson version of modern fiberglass interior. Easy enough to go to the pink, white & black color scheme that is retro or ..... whatever floats your boat and makes your toes curl.

The actual older scamps have a smaller bed and a little less head room. I can't recall the year of the factory fire but after that they picked up a few inches of both. Maybe someone will weigh in. 16 ft. makes a whole lot more sense for a floor plan with a full bathroom. But people do have them in 13 & 15 ft.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:35 PM   #13

British Columbia
Thank you- nice trailer
Old 03-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #14

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Elizabeth, I second Lee Senn's recommendations. We have a 17' Bigfoot with the gaucho bed. It has a full bath which is nice. Because both the dinette bed and the gaucho are really only about the width of a twin bed when they are set up, my husband takes the gaucho and I take the dinette bed. We love our queen bed at home, but sleeping crammed into a bed that's only about 42' wide is just not very comfortable for us! We also like having the gaucho as a "lounging around" place during the daytime. I don't know how old of a trailer you'd like to get to stay with a vintage look. There are mid-80's Bigfoots around, but for something older I think you'd have to go looking for another brand, like a Trillium, Boler, etc. I see you are in B. C. so you should have some Bigfoots and Bolers to look at. I love the vintage-y look of the Bolers, but I'm not familiar with all the floor plans they came in. Maybe a Boler owner will chime in.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Casita 17 and a 2012 Ram 1500 with a cap. The Ram pulls the Casita real good. The Casita is supposed to be the Liberty Deluxe, has rear bed and side dinette that also can be a bed. Saw another Casita 17, don't know the model, but it had like twin beds, one on each side. The owners had made extensions to widen them.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote