Hi, I'm Frugal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we were looking for a Casita ,there were few in our area . The closest one for viewing was over a 100 miles away. The price between a used Casita in good shape and a new one was only 2K ,so the price difference was not enough to be a factor for us. You can continue
to price shop but at some point it going to cost what it costs. We have a very short camping season in Northern Wisconsin so waiting for a good price usually means loosing a whole season or two of camping , not a good bargain in our book.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I would also suggest for consideration the fact that a well maintained FGRV can be sold later for decent money, therefore the expense for the years of your use is the difference. It is an investment, and most of it can be recouped when selling it. I expect that when I can no longer get good use out of mine, I sell it for nearly the same $$ as I paid for it. (It was 9 years old when I bought it.)

As far as the size of the bed, look at the Scamp 19 (not Deluxe), which has an open sleeping loft with the bunk in front of it, so that tall people can sleep front to back, instead of across. The upper bunk extends the bed. And besides, you already have a truck to pull it with.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #23

Name: RV
Trailer: Casita SD17
Florida
Paul O. It appears new is the way to go. I just priced a new Escape 19. In Canadian Dollars: $26,300 options including AC about $2,000 for a total CDN $28,300 convert to US dollars x 0.8 = $22,640. Why buy a used one?
Fun Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #24

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Ways View Post
Paul O. It appears new is the way to go. I just priced a new Escape 19. In Canadian Dollars: $26,300 options including AC about $2,000 for a total CDN $28,300 convert to US dollars x 0.8 = $22,640. Why buy a used one?
For the Escape, the reason to buy used is that you either have to pay delivery, pick up in BC, Canada and wait till July 2016 to pick up.

Production schedule:
Production Schedule
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Compared to BC, Backus, MN is less than half way from Florida!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #26

Florida
Yes the production schedules are why used ones sell at such high prices. You can't just go buy a new one.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #27

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Post #20

WOW... if one could find the exact Casita described, and if it was available for $15,000, one would have to be on-site, with cash in hand, within the first 15 minutes after the ad appeared, and would have to be a lot faster than moi, because I could just flip it for $3-4k more. LOL

As many before have learned, trying to apply any kind of formula to FGRV's for depreciation can be a dead end march. Supply and Demand are two basic criteria and, as you have seen, supply is very limited and demand is very high.

About all that "New" price means is that's what a new one will cost (plus shipping etc of course)

Many a buyer has realized that waiting upwards of 12 months for delivery is also denial of 12 months of that persons enjoyment/retirement plans, and some have often paid full retail, and even above, for 1-3 y.o. units. And looking for a 25% price reduction on a 3 y.o. unit just isn't something often seen, especially in the peak part of the selling season.

We sold our then almost 10 y.o. Scamp three summers ago for about 85% of the then current price of a new one, not to mention that being well above it's original selling price.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #28

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
My wife and I are both recently retired and had the same concerns and dilemma as Mrs Frugal. Long story short, we had been looking for months and months for a used Casita Spirit deluxe. Every time we found a used one, we were too late as it had been sold. We finally figured out you have to almost be on the different sites constantly as the FRG's sell very fast.

We just happened to find a used 2013 Casita SD, fully loaded with every single factory option except the electric jack. The owner had already made several expensive mods and additions also, including a WDH, sway bars, tinted windows, custom mattress. They were also retired and had to sell it due to health reasons. They posted the sale at 11:45 AM and we called within 30 minutes and closed on the deal. We ended up driving from St Louis, Mo to Sun City,AZ and paid them just what they had asked....$16,500. I feel we had a win-win deal....a fairly new, fully loaded SD with lots of owner added amenities. He offered us a generator and BBQ grill but we declined as we already have one. (guess that isn't a short story after all).

If you find what you are looking for at a fair price, act quick or it will be sold.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #29

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
RE: Post #20

WOW... if one could find the exact Casita described, and if it was available for $15,000, one would have to be on-site, with cash in hand, within the first 15 minutes after the ad appeared, and would have to be a lot faster than moi, because I could just flip it for $3-4k more. LOL

As many before have learned, trying to apply any kind of formula to FGRV's for depreciation can be a dead end march. Supply and Demand are two basic criteria and, as you have seen, supply is very limited and demand is very high.

About all that "New" price means is that's what a new one will cost (plus shipping etc of course)

Many a buyer has realized that waiting upwards of 12 months for delivery is also denial of 12 months of that persons enjoyment/retirement plans, and some have often paid full retail, and even above, for 1-3 y.o. units. And looking for a 25% price reduction on a 3 y.o. unit just isn't something often seen, especially in the peak part of the selling season.

We sold our then almost 10 y.o. Scamp three summers ago for about 85% of the then current price of a new one, not to mention that being well above it's original selling price.
Here is an example of one that I missed . . . 2013 barely used for $14,500 Casita Liberty Deluxe travel trailer
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #30

Yep, that's an exception, and a real steal if not a scam, and is an excellent example of how long they last. Funny though that the seller didn't have a phone number posted and didn't take the ad down after it was sold, they must enjoy lots of emails.

I'd almost bet that one, if real, will show up again at a higher price. We see that all the time. Sometimes the flipper will even use the same pics when they resell, and concoct a story about the title and registration being in a family members name.

Here's a more typical example: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/5118736898.html

Old 07-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #31

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
After ordering a new Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe from the factory, having realized it was the only safe way to buy sight-unseen, and dreading the drive from MN to TX and then making the necessary mods, up popped an ad on Escapees' forum, of all places, for exactly what I wanted, with mods, for less money. Just 1.5 years old and in Illinois! I immediately sent an email saying I would buy it, period. I have it now and I couldn't be happier. The point is, follow every possible forum that has classifieds, including Craigslist, eBay, the Casita forum, the Escape forum (different from Escapees), etc. You just never know. The reason my Casita came up on Escapees, which is usually for owners of much bigger stick-built trailers and motor homes, is that that's what the sellers used to own before they downsized for health reasons. I did lose $200 for canceling my factory order, but the mods on the 2014 version more than made up for that.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #32

Florida
Thanks Wendy! Send me some of your luck. That's typical as soon as you put a deposit on a new one, the perfect used one shows up. I hadn't completed my research when the $14,500 one, a couple hundred miles from me, was posted. A day later after doing my research, it was gone. Now that good deal is going to haunt me as I await another.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
PM sent
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #34

Florida
Just toured my first FOR SALE Casita! It was an extremely clean 1996 SD in good shape for its age in my opinion. Its for sale in St. Petersburg FL for $9000 on CL. Pictures and contact here: 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe The owners are really nice people and enjoyed showing me their Casita. I told the seller up front I was looking for something newer, but they encouraged me to come look. I was impressed with the SD model. I liked the side table. I fit "acceptably" tight in the double bed. I fit a little less acceptably tight standing in a Casita, crouched, but not like I had to get on my knees. Overall was impressed. I'll bet it will sell fast to someone looking for a sub $10k Casita. It was CLEAN, but did show its age.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #35

Florida
It sounds like a good starter Casita. I think, but don't personally know, that you could take it or whatever you get to Quartzsite in January and trade up. Or over.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:30 PM   #36

Florida
Wendy, I decided to pass on this one due to its age. I want something nearly new or new. I wish Mrs. Frugal could have come with me to see it. She had a busy day at work and I didn't want to wait in case it sold, so I went alone. Those jobs sure are inconvenient!
Old 07-20-2015, 04:44 AM   #37

Florida
I purchased a "like new" 2013 Casita SD 17 on Thursday! It was purchased from its original owner at below my target price formula from post 20. It is in immaculate condition, no wear or even signs of use. It had all the hard to add options from my wish list including vinyl flooring, load D tires, high lift axle, refrigerator vent, and outside Shower. It also has the flatscreen DVD TV, cable wiring, aftermarket microwave, sink cover, LED lights, and sway bar. I had to travel quite far to get a great deal, but we made an adventure out of the trip. We drove straight through to pick it up and came home slowly with a layover at a beautiful campground in Pensacola FL. Mrs. Frugal and I are elated with our new Casita!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 AM   #38

Getting 20% (?) off on a 2 y.o. FGRV is a good buy and the best part is that it won't go down that much in future years. Good luck with your new-to-you Casita.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #39

Florida
Congratulations, Frugal Family! I went back to post #20 and saw it included negotiating on the price. Assuming you did, that suggests to me that people may compromise even before the season is over! You definitely did good.

WendyW
Old 07-20-2015, 11:33 AM   #40

Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Congratulations on your new rig! Of course the real measure is cost per night. You better get busy.....

Regards, Steve
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote