Hi, I'm Frugal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #15

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Frugal
A dealer near me has a single axle Escape 5.0 SA for sale. I looked at it and it is a nice trailer. It has a short Queen bed but it looks like by blocking the top step you could extend the bed quite a bit. It's at Dodds RV in Portsmouth Va. I would guess about 800 miles from you.
Eddie
For Sale 2013 Escape 5.0 $26,500 US Dollars - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Ways View Post
Thanks for finding this one for me. I'll check it out. It looks like its in great shape. That is what I am looking for, like new condition 2010 or newer. Anyone know what its really worth?

Exactly what someone is willing to pay for it....

FGRV's do not have real "Book" values and are sold, basically, on what the market will stand. About all you can do is compare other ads for similar trailers. DO NOT attempt to use NADA or other book values for FGRV's, they range from low to ridiculously low.

While new units will drop a small percentage for the first few yueasrt, they quickly bottom out by 5 years and then start to increase in value all over again.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You might want to check out a new model FGRV now in prototype stage on Happier Camper | Ultra-light Travel and Utility Trailers. They are creating the HC1, a camper shell with a totally modular interior. It is most intriguing and might fit the bill for you.

Also, the Lil Snoozy has been talked about frequently on this website Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites .

Although not a FGRV I was very impressed with the Alto trailer made in Canada. It is pricey but has a roomy bed area and is beautiful.

For discussion of any of these trailers search them on this FGRV website under the "Search" button. Go to the bottom of the dropdown menu and search in the "Google" button.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Check out this recent discussion on FGRV, "The Difference Between Fiberglass and Traditional". As alway, Norm shares some sage advice and you'll get opinions of others. Difference between fiberglass and traditional campers
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #19

California
Maybe if the O.P. (Frugal Ways) posted some estimate of the budget they are working with we could provide more useful suggestions. I somehow think that new units are not under consideration.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #20

Name: RV
Trailer: Casita SD17
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Maybe if the O.P. (Frugal Ways) posted some estimate of the budget they are working with we could provide more useful suggestions. I somehow think that new units are not under consideration.
Good point Bob. I'm a relative-value buyer. So I look at what a new one will cost, then deduct for age, condition and missing options.

Since Casita has been on summer break, I'm not quite sure what that my new cost will be. Here is my option list: Casita 17 LD Load D tires, LED lights, vinyl flooring, micro wave, awning, generator. So when I know what the new Casita 17 LD costs, I'll know what my budget is. Let's assume $22,000. Then I would deduct 10% for being "not new" plus about 5% for each model year. Let's say I find a 2013 lightly used one without a generator. That would be $22,000 (new) - $2,200 (used) - $1,000 (generator) - 3,000 (age) = $15,800. Therefore, I think $15,800 would be a fair price. Then Mr Fugal likes to get a deal, so he'd offer $15,000. If that is not realistic, I'd just go buy a new one.

Now let's branch out to an Escape 19. Since those are probably pricier than a Casita 17 LD, I would want to buy a really nice used Escape 19 for the maximum price of a new Casita 17 LD. But then I may still want to buy the new Casita over a used Escape, so let's just put the maximum budget at $20,000 for a used rig.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
When we were looking for a Casita ,there were few in our area . The closest one for viewing was over a 100 miles away. The price between a used Casita in good shape and a new one was only 2K ,so the price difference was not enough to be a factor for us. You can continue
to price shop but at some point it going to cost what it costs. We have a very short camping season in Northern Wisconsin so waiting for a good price usually means loosing a whole season or two of camping , not a good bargain in our book.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #22

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I would also suggest for consideration the fact that a well maintained FGRV can be sold later for decent money, therefore the expense for the years of your use is the difference. It is an investment, and most of it can be recouped when selling it. I expect that when I can no longer get good use out of mine, I sell it for nearly the same $$ as I paid for it. (It was 9 years old when I bought it.)

As far as the size of the bed, look at the Scamp 19 (not Deluxe), which has an open sleeping loft with the bunk in front of it, so that tall people can sleep front to back, instead of across. The upper bunk extends the bed. And besides, you already have a truck to pull it with.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #23

Florida
Paul O. It appears new is the way to go. I just priced a new Escape 19. In Canadian Dollars: $26,300 options including AC about $2,000 for a total CDN $28,300 convert to US dollars x 0.8 = $22,640. Why buy a used one?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #24

Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Ways View Post
Paul O. It appears new is the way to go. I just priced a new Escape 19. In Canadian Dollars: $26,300 options including AC about $2,000 for a total CDN $28,300 convert to US dollars x 0.8 = $22,640. Why buy a used one?
For the Escape, the reason to buy used is that you either have to pay delivery, pick up in BC, Canada and wait till July 2016 to pick up.

Production schedule:
Production Schedule
Old 07-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #25

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Compared to BC, Backus, MN is less than half way from Florida!
Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #26

Florida
Yes the production schedules are why used ones sell at such high prices. You can't just go buy a new one.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #27

California
RE: Post #20

WOW... if one could find the exact Casita described, and if it was available for $15,000, one would have to be on-site, with cash in hand, within the first 15 minutes after the ad appeared, and would have to be a lot faster than moi, because I could just flip it for $3-4k more. LOL

As many before have learned, trying to apply any kind of formula to FGRV's for depreciation can be a dead end march. Supply and Demand are two basic criteria and, as you have seen, supply is very limited and demand is very high.

About all that "New" price means is that's what a new one will cost (plus shipping etc of course)

Many a buyer has realized that waiting upwards of 12 months for delivery is also denial of 12 months of that persons enjoyment/retirement plans, and some have often paid full retail, and even above, for 1-3 y.o. units. And looking for a 25% price reduction on a 3 y.o. unit just isn't something often seen, especially in the peak part of the selling season.

We sold our then almost 10 y.o. Scamp three summers ago for about 85% of the then current price of a new one, not to mention that being well above it's original selling price.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #28

Name: jon
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
My wife and I are both recently retired and had the same concerns and dilemma as Mrs Frugal. Long story short, we had been looking for months and months for a used Casita Spirit deluxe. Every time we found a used one, we were too late as it had been sold. We finally figured out you have to almost be on the different sites constantly as the FRG's sell very fast.

We just happened to find a used 2013 Casita SD, fully loaded with every single factory option except the electric jack. The owner had already made several expensive mods and additions also, including a WDH, sway bars, tinted windows, custom mattress. They were also retired and had to sell it due to health reasons. They posted the sale at 11:45 AM and we called within 30 minutes and closed on the deal. We ended up driving from St Louis, Mo to Sun City,AZ and paid them just what they had asked....$16,500. I feel we had a win-win deal....a fairly new, fully loaded SD with lots of owner added amenities. He offered us a generator and BBQ grill but we declined as we already have one. (guess that isn't a short story after all).

If you find what you are looking for at a fair price, act quick or it will be sold.