Hi, I'm Harold and I have a 1975 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #1

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Hi, I'm Harold and I have a 1975 13ft Scamp

Hello FibergalssRV forum people,

I’ve been lurking in the forums for a bit, and I figure it’s time I introduced myself.

My name is Harold and I bought my Scamp 13-footer about a year ago. (Sounds like a support group introduction.) I’ve lived in Redding, California for most of my 66 years.

I’m almost embarrassed to tell the story of how I acquired this trailer because so many people have struggled – or are struggling – to find the egg of their dreams, and this one totally fell into my lap.

It was a Sunday afternoon and I was heading home after going to a flea market. I took my usual route, an old divided highway that used to be the main north-south artery here in California before the interstate system was built. There are a lot of used car lots, and some areas along the highway are kind of run down. I was driving along and something caught my eye. A Scamp trailer!

I did a quick u-turn at the next intersection and pulled up to the lot. As I was looking the salesman came out. He said he didn’t usually work Sundays and was about to go home, but he would be glad to show me the Scamp.

I spent about one whole minute looking at the 1975 Scamp and asked how much? He said $1,750. (Don’t hate me.) I asked: “Could you take 15 hundred?” … He did, and I put it on my credit card and drove it home. (Really, please don’t hate me!)

The Scamp is a 1975 13 footer, and although it’s 43-years old, it’s been well cared for. It has a bit of wear and tear, inside and out, but the previous owner had recently replaced the rat fur, the carpet, the battery, and the power converter. It has a 2-burner gas stove-top and a refrigerator that works on shore power, 12 volts, or propane. Everything functions correctly. Also included is a pair of new Scamp door hinges, a Sani-Potty that is very clean, some unopened chemical supplies, a brand new clear water hose, a couple of jack stands, and about 6 rolls of toilet paper.

There’s a soft spot in the floor in the under-seat compartment that contains the battery, apparently caused by a leaking water pump, but it’s an easy fix. It doesn’t have the cupboards above the sink/stove unit, nor doors on the sink/stove unit or closet. The previous owner had put curtains there.

Although I’ve had it for a year I have yet to do much to it or take it out. I doubt I’d have any problems with it, but I just haven’t gone anywhere.

I plan on upgrading it with overhead cupboards and cupboard doors and a bunch of little things, including front and rear window panes. I figure with the purchase price and the upgrades I’ll have roughly $2,500 into it. I’m about a week away from placing my parts order from Scamp.

Although the sink and stove work, I’m considering replacing them purely for cosmetic reasons. I also haven’t decided whether to add brakes, and I’ll be looking at the forums for advice for that. I’ll be towing the Scamp with a 2007 Ford Ranger XLT that came equipped from the factory with a towing package. I already bought a sway-control unit that I’ll be installing.

I haven’t been camping for many years, but I’m sure looking forward to Scamping.

All my best,

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
640x480 72ppi.jpg  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Harold welcome to fiberglassrv dot com and congratulations on your acquisition! That's quite a find! Are you planning to purchase the cupboards above the sink/stove unit from Scamp?

-John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:58 PM   #3

Redding, California
Registry
Cupboards

Hi John, thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I think the Scamp cupboards would look best, and would look better than any I could make myself. I plan on getting the three-door unit and doors for it and the closet, and any other cupboards I might buy.

I lived in Kalkaska Michigan for a couple of years in 1967-68, and my brother still lives there, in Hesperia. What part do you call home?

Harold
Old 05-31-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Harold, we are in Northville, between Detroit and Ann Arbor.

To your question regarding brakes, I'm sure others will weigh in. My opinion is that you will probably want to replace the axle if its original, and when you do, order it with brakes.

John
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Redding, California
Registry
Thanks John,

You're in a part of the sate I've never been to. I hope it's as beautiful as the parts I've seen.

I haven't checked out the axle yet. The salesman said the axle had been recently replaced, and there were several receipts for work done, but none for the axle. One receipt mentioned inspecting the axle, and I suspect that is all that was done (if it was done at all).

I've been looking at posts and Dexter axles, and Timbren axle-less systems. I still need to research it more, but I had figured that whatever I get would either have brakes, or I would get something that has the brake flanges so I can add brakes later if needed. Most likely I will just bite the bullet and get something with brakes already attached (as per your excellent advice).

I saw your HOT BRAKE DRUM thread and read the first page, but haven't yet finished it.

Fortunately in another life I was a Certified Journeyman Auto Mechanic, so these issues are not really new to me.

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Harold!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #7

Redding, California
Registry
Thanks much JBB....
Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 PM   #8

Name: Trever
Trailer: Scamp 13
ND
You mentioned your scamp is missing the closet and overhead cabinet above the galley, both of which are important pieces to the structural integrity of the camper. You will notice this mentioned numerous times if you read through several of the other restoration threads here.

It's hard to see for sure from your photo, but if the door is gapping open near the bottom it is likely because the roof/walls have sagged due to lack of support.

Hope I'm wrong though and the door is a perfect fit for you.
NDorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #9

Redding, California
Registry
You're exactly correct, the door sags at the bottom. The closet is there, just not a door on it. I don't think the Scamp ever had cabinets above the stove.

The door seems to fit correctly at the top and sides. I found a pair of brand new hinges in the trailer but I don't think hinges are the problem. (I'll install them anyway.) The gap is way too large to be a hinge problem. It looks to me like the fiberglass at the bottom has just surrendered to gravity.

I've browsed a few threads in the forums and need to browse some more to identify the correct fix.

I appreciate your helpful observations, and I'll pay extra attention to structural issues. It should be interesting sorting out the Scamp's problems.

Harold
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Harold, welcome to FGRV. Congratulations on finding your Scamp; those little eggs are just so cute!

BEST to you on making it your own and getting it to a state you're happy with...and happy camping!

Kai
Old 06-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #11

Redding, California
Registry
Thanks

Thanks so much for the welcome Kai,

I had seen a Scamp or two on the road ages ago and thought they were cute then. Now that I own one they are even cuter! And an Egg sighting is around here is rare and exciting!!

I'm looking forward to fixing it up and hitting the road. I wish other more pressing projects would stop getting in the way.

Thanks again.

Harold
Old 06-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome, congratulations. We don't hate you, but there is a little envy.

I think Trevor may be onto something with his post#8 above. Look at the photo gallery on the Scamp factory site, along with touring and possibly measuring any when you have the opportunity. Notice the metal supports many Scamps seem to have. Here a pair is on the right between the upper and lower cabinets. Click photo to enlarge. Nice find. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_13ft_Standard_Layout1_01-398-672-414-80.jpg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:45 PM   #13

Redding, California
Registry
Thanks

Thanks Tom,

Yes, I've studied the Scamp site as well as looked at many Scamps on the internet. I have that support bracket on my "to order" list as well as the upper cabinet. There is no evidence that my Scamp ever had the upper cabinet and was probably ordered without it.

The very few Scamp interiors I've see that don't have the upper cabinet also don't have that bracket because there's nothing to attach the upper end to. You have to wonder how much money the original owner saved in 1975 by not including that cabinet in their order.

Thanks again,

Harold
Old 06-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #14

Registry
Doctor Harold: $23.72.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #15

Redding, California
Registry
Seems like throw-away money...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Doctor Harold: $23.72.
Wow, seems like throw-away money. 1975 dollars in 2018 calculate to $110.92, which still seems like it would be foolish not to have it installed.

A 3 Door Upper Cabinet from Scamp is going to cost me $129.00, which seems like a good price in my opinion. Of course, I don't yet know what shipping will be.

Harold
Old 06-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #16

Registry
Doctor Harold,

That is a good price...hard to build one for that considering your time and effort and materials and all. Hope shipping isn't too steep! I'd definitely go for the factory-made one--then and now!

Kai
Old 06-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #17

Redding, California
Registry
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
... I'd definitely go for the factory-made one--then and now!
Kai
Oh, Absolutely. Even more important to me is that the factory cabinet looks like it belongs there, and not added on. I plan on ordering factory doors too, although I could do a pretty good job making doors myself.

The list I've compiled of things I'm going to order from Scamp tallies about $1,200 so far. When I talk to them on the phone to order it may go up to $1,500, but it will make my Scamp so much better. I can't imagine shipping to be so high as to be a deal killer.

I am so looking forward to getting all that done.

Harold
Old 06-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
I can't imagine shipping to be so high as to be a deal killer.
Harold
Harold, from what I've heard of their shipping, you may want to be sitting down when they give you the quote.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:25 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Harold, About your door sag. I once read a fix for this problem where as you said gravity and more likely water got in there and broke the door down. Anyway.
Some fellow took 2 pieces of perforated angle iron cut to about 15 inches long. Then attach one piece to about 20 inches up on the door with bolts and acorn nuts the inside, for looks, and the other one at bottom of the door, about an inch from the floor.

He then took 4 pieces of 1/4 inch threaded rod, and used a turn buckle between the top and bottom rods to bring that sag back up into position.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #20

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Harold, from what I've heard of their shipping, you may want to be sitting down when they give you the quote.
I'll do that! Since the items are very bulky I figure it won't be cheap.

Thanks,

Harold

Tags
scamp