Hi, I'm Jane from Colorado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: 13' Scamp ordered
Colorado
Hi, I'm Jane from Colorado

My husband and I have ordered a 13 ' Scamp. We're waiting patiently (or not). In the meantime, any tips from anyone , about anything, would be wonderful. I've picked up a lot of great information just reading through these forums. Thank you so much , in advance !

Jane
Jane K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Jane! I know the excitement you're feeling. It seemed like an eternity before we picked up our Snoozy once we ordered it. I immediately started shopping for little things to personalize it as our own. It really did help with the wait time. I also planned our first shakedown camp near by so we could learn about our camper to see what we needed and didn't need. Your wait time will pass quickly and you'll be picking it up soon!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #3

Colorado
I've already started collecting some items for the Scamp. I have some things in the "cart" on Amazon, both functional and decorative. I just wish I had mock ups for the closet and cupboard spaces. There are so many good ideas for storage , but I'm hesitant to start/get any without having the Scamp in the driveway. We won't get it until end of August-beginning of Sept. I'm finding it hard to be patient.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jane, and congratulations! We love our 13'er.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #5

Colorado
Thanks for the welcome! We're looking forward to having our little egg.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

Name: Karen
Trailer: Big Foot
Michigan
Congrats on your new order. We ordered our Bigfoot Dec 7th and in the same waiting mode as you so I totally understand. Fortunately, the dealer already had a stock floor plan model we wanted on order so we could customize to our liking and look at an April delivery date. Like others mentioned, we are camping near by for the first couple of weekends so we can make sure we understand everything. Good luck with the waiting. I'm hearing Fiberglass is worth the wait!!! :-) We are south of Denver, where are you?
Karen in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #7

Colorado
Hi Karen, We are up in the mountains outside of Black Hawk. It's going to be a long wait for our little Scamp. We have a trip planned for the end of Sept.-beginning of Oct. to the northwest corner of Washington ( Olympic NP, Cascades, San Juan Island, Mt. Rainer NP ) I'm trying to gather as many things for the egg ahead of time so I can concentrate on the storage compartments when we get it. I love all the suggestions on these forums !! So helpful !

Jane
Old 01-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Name: Karen
Trailer: Big Foot
Michigan
Pretty part of CO. Keep us posted on your trip as that is our 2020 trip. :-) Yes, every ounce of space counts. Good luck with the planning.
Karen in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

Colorado
I will keep you up to date. I'm having fun planning for the egg, I just wish I had a mock up so I could do shelving, etc. Happy travels to you ! We just love it up here ! We're at 9300' and get moose, bears , bobcats, and fresh air !! : )
Old 01-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You may want to check out a fiberglass rally somewhat near you this spring/summer to look in a Scamp for ideas. Also, you could post that you would like to see if anyone has a similar layout Scamp near you so you could visit it.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane K. View Post
I've already started collecting some items for the Scamp. I have some things in the "cart" on Amazon, both functional and decorative. I just wish I had mock ups for the closet and cupboard spaces. There are so many good ideas for storage , but I'm hesitant to start/get any without having the Scamp in the driveway. We won't get it until end of August-beginning of Sept. I'm finding it hard to be patient.
You are so correct to go slow and deliberate on figuring out what you will need to pack and how to set your Scamp up so it is right for you. On our first two or three trips both my DW and myself were taking along more than we needed. Then we gradually sorted things out.

E.G: I packed an extra car jack in the Scamp, but then concluded that the trailer is never without its tow vehicle, and the TV always has a jack. Got rid of six pounds right there. On the other hand, a reasonably complete tool box is always handy. As far decorating, that's the other department.

Welcome and congratulations!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Hi Jane, Welcome
We have a Scamp 13 that we picked up at Scamp this past Sept and are having a great time with it. Its the deluxe with bathroom, but not the wood cabinets. did not want the extra weight.
I will get together what I found to be absolutely necessary, plus a few good ideas if you so want and e-mail them to you.
We also waited almost a year for our Scamp and were glad we did, best time of our lives.

Jack & Jo-Ann
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why not just post your thoughts here for the benefit of others?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Sure, I can do that. Its that it may take a while, can't get to it right away. Want to make sure I don't miss anything.
Jack
Old 01-18-2019, 01:45 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Congratulations!

How long must you wait?

Décor: I like those reproduction tin signs for pictures in our 73 Amerigo, "Peanut." Funny ones, cute ones, we have one from Portland (me) and one from Seattle (Paul). But the Amerigo has an inner, paneled hull, so it's easy to use small screws to put things up.

Extra Thought: Speaking of Peanut, have you considered a name for your upcoming egg? There are several threads on this forum alone regarding naming our fiberglass trailers.

BEST

Kathleen
Old 01-18-2019, 02:12 PM   #16

Colorado
Thank you all for your kind words ! I'll take any advice that anyone wants to share. We haven't really named our egg, yet, but we keep calling it "the bubble". We'll see what it ends up being.

Jane
Old 01-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Hi Jane, and everyone here's my list of items I find necessary.

Definite needs: Recommended items in ( )

Electric:
Surge guard 30 amp protector (34830), 50amp to 30amp converter,

Water & waste:
Rhino Flex 15' sewer hose with fittings (39770), sewer [ donut] hose seal, Valterra reverse flush valve (FO2-4350), anti back flow device use during reverse flush at water connection, grey/black water hose (Camco25'), Nitrile gloves for handling sewer hose, (Catch orange)

Drinking water hose (Camco15'), Water filter (Camco taste Pure), 90deg hose elbow, Water pressure reducer/regulator, grey & black water deodorizers,

Set up, leveling:
Beech Lane leveling system, leveling blocks (Camco 4 pack with bag), T-level (Camco 25543), wheel chocks (Camco with rope)

Nice to have items, some are a must have:

Clip on towing mirrors (Fit system Deluxe 3891), propane gauge, kneeling pad; stones can be hard on knees, electric & duct tape, sewer hose supports (Camco), 3 ton bottle jack (Harbor Freight) & block of wood; don't like unit from tow vehicle,

Note! The 10' flex sewer hose from Scamp is useless, along with their hose carrier. Tell them not to mount the sewer hose carrier, You will need to purchase your own carrier for the Rhino Flex 15' hose/fittings. I purchase a 5' length of 5" x 5" vinyl fence post with flush end caps and mounted it to the rear of the Scamp bumper with 14" uv protected black exterior wire ties, from Home Depot. Had to double them up to make the 22" needed. Used 6 center and 2 at each end. Will be adding 4, 1" wide Velcro straps as well.

Mounted the Scamp hose holder at the front section of frame.

Also found the expensive cover Scamp sold us for the kitchen stove burners too heavy and difficult to store. It was suppose to add work space. Instead I just made a cover for the sink out of a 15" x 20" HDPE 1/2 poly board and cut an opening in it to fit around the faucet, also added feet to it.
As for storage we purchased on line from M Design a Fabric 3 drawer storage cabinet to fit inside the large storage space next to the bathroom. Stick on bright LED light now light up all our storage cabinets. We found the best suction cups to mount items on the plexiglass from the Dollar General Store.

Please remember that these are my needs and may not fit everyone taste or needs. I hope I did not leave out anything, if so I will add post.

I am not sure how to attach photos at this time, if I find out I will certainly post photos of certain items.

P.S. Can someone explain how I post pictures?

Thanks,

Jack
Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Go here for illustrated instructions. It's on the Escape forum but same here.
Posting Photos - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 01-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane K. View Post
My husband and I have ordered a 13 ' Scamp. We're waiting patiently (or not). In the meantime, any tips from anyone , about anything, would be wonderful. I've picked up a lot of great information just reading through these forums. Thank you so much , in advance !

Jane
Congratulations! There will be a Casita Gathering May 16-20, 2019 at Lightner Creek Campground, Durango CO. If you have your Scamp by that time, join us. All FG eggs are welcome. If you don't have yours by then, and are in the neighborhood, stop by and check out the FG eggs, browse and ask questions. They are all basically the same, just different names.
Alice L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #20

Massachusetts
OK Glen,

Thanks, I now see how its done.
Jack