Hi, I'm Jennifer. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Hi, I'm Jennifer.

Hello. I bought a 2003 13' basic model (sight unseen!) but it all worked out. So far so good. We just spend our first two nights in the trailer. My 9 yr old son fell out of the front bed (a home made extra tall unit, ouch) so looking for advice on that.

I just wanted to say hello and to see if anyone has any "dos" and "don'ts" for a first time owner.

The Scamp is a basic unit--no A/C, icebox, no fan even.

It has a tiny front window. It looks like it may originally have had a toilet. My friend thought I should have a larger front window installed for light and airflow, but I'm not in a rush to make upgrades. The interior is in great shape, but the outside needs a bit of fiberglass repair, a rivet job and maybe paint.

Glad to be here!

Jennifer
Jennifer in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Jennifer!

Glad to hear your son was not seriously hurt. It does sound like yours was built as a front bath model. Some had only a toilet, and some were left empty as a privacy closet for a porta-potty. In your case the partition was removed by a PO and a homemade bunk substituted.

Surprisingly, even the factory bunk set-up lacks any kind of safety rail. That was the first thing I added. You can see what I did if you click the "Registry" link under my profile at the left.

Since yours is a custom set-up, it's hard to advise on how to add a safety rail. If you post a picture of what you've got, I'm sure you'll get some great ideas. See post #7 in the thread Forums 101 for how to add pictures.

The large front window on non-bath Scamps is fixed plexiglass. Installing a large operable window on the front of a Scamp is difficult because of the curvature. Operable windows require a flat mounting surface, so fiberglass work would be required.

An alternative solution to increase ventilation would be a 12V Fantastic Fan in the roof. Combined with the small tip-out window, that should create some airflow in front. Light is another matter... We do enjoy the view from the big front window during the day (ventilation comes from the screen door). At night we put up the rock guard to darken the trailer. A 12V roof vent is on my wish list...

Enjoy your "new" Scamp!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Jennifer, as your son is nine, he just needs a bit of a reminder where the edge of the bed is as apposed to a rail. Try putting a sheet over the "mattress" and tucking a swimming noodle in at the edge of the bed. That little bump is often enough for the body to not go past.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Hi Jennifer, as your son is nine, he just needs a bit of a reminder where the edge of the bed is as apposed to a rail. Try putting a sheet over the "mattress" and tucking a swimming noodle in at the edge of the bed. That little bump is often enough for the body to not go past.
Both responses are good. You can also do a "Search" in the "Search" button at the top of this forum, drop down to "Search Site/Google" and enter words like "bunk bed railing" and you will find previous responses to the similar questions.

Claire, I like your idea of posting your travels in the "Other Information" section of your Registry listing!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Colorado
Your safety rai is great and does give me ideas. I am considering getting a Scamp front bench/bunk and ditching the POs custom unit.

I also like your bin solution for the closet. Figuring out a way to use that space effectively is quite challenging.

(Oye. That was supposed to be a reply to Jon in AZ. I'm not good at this)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, I'm Jennifer.

The bins do work great. Trick was finding the right size. These came from Big Lots, and they connect with a positive latch (a good thing in a trailer). No idea if they still carry them. I've seen lots of other ways to build out the closet. A Google site search on "closet shelves" should turn up some good ideas.

Installing the factory bench and bunk may be harder than you think. It requires a fiberglass lip along the front shell to support the outer edge of the bench and a fiberglass-encased wood ledge under the window to support the upper bunk. Bathroom models lack both of those attachments. You may be better off working with what you have for now, and after you've used the trailer a while, you can decide what to build that will suit your needs even better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:03 AM   #7

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in Denver View Post
Your safety rai is great and does give me ideas. I am considering getting a Scamp front bench/bunk and ditching the POs custom unit.

I also like your bin solution for the closet. Figuring out a way to use that space effectively is quite challenging.

(Oye. That was supposed to be a reply to Jon in AZ. I'm not good at this)
Welcome! We loved Jon's closet solution and borrowed the idea for our Scamp 13 as well! I couldn't find the bins at our Big Lots, but the Container Store had a set of four on sale for around $20-25 that fit perfectly!

Not sure where you are in Colorado, but we are in this lovely state as well, and if you'd ever like to see how the front bunk comes from the factory, I'd be happy to show you ours!

Happy Camping!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Jennifer,

Wishing you and your son many happy memories in your new to you Scamp 13. Laura and I started out looking at Scamp 13s last fall but ended up with a Casita 17 (love it). The Scamp 13s are great trailers. Have fun making it yours!

Look forward to reading about camping adventures.

Take care,

Dean
Old 07-08-2016, 05:42 AM   #9

Colorado
Thanks everybody. Great ideas and advice. A lovely welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TV: 2013 Subaru Forester
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Welcome! We loved Jon's closet solution and borrowed the idea for our Scamp 13 as well! I couldn't find the bins at our Big Lots, but the Container Store had a set of four on sale for around $20-25 that fit perfectly!

Not sure where you are in Colorado, but we are in this lovely state as well, and if you'd ever like to see how the front bunk comes from the factory, I'd be happy to show you ours!

Happy Camping!

Thank you! I may take you up on your offer when I get back.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:51 AM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The bins do work great. Trick was finding the right size. These came from Big Lots, and they connect with a positive latch (a good thing in a trailer). No idea if they still carry them. I've seen lots of other ways to build out the closet. A Google site search on "closet shelves" should turn up some good ideas.

Installing the factory bench and bunk may be harder than you think. It requires a fiberglass lip along the front shell to support the outer edge of the bench and a fiberglass-encased wood ledge under the window to support the upper bunk. Bathroom models lack both of those attachments. You may be better off working with what you have for now, and after you've used the trailer a while, you can decide what to build that will suit your needs even better.

Ah. Thank you for the heads-up. I have some ideas...