Hi I'm Jonathan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: In the market
Missouri
Hi I'm Jonathan

Hello everyone,

I've decided that an V8 vehicle is not necessary for my lifestyle, but camping is. I spent my camping youth wrestling pop-ups with my brother and parents. My independent camping experience has been in tents and the back of my X-terra SUV. My long-time girlfriend and I are sick of all that.

After many months of detailed research, we have decided that the 13' Scamp (floor plan 2 w/ bathroom) may be the best choice for us. So, I may be posting a want ad soon. Our plan A is to order one from the factory, but I had a few questions about that as well. I'll post some here, but I'll re-post elsewhere if they're not getting read.

-Has anyone elected to delete the toilet option on their scamp? We usually have at least an outhouse available, and we'd like more room in the shower. I'm 6'0, can I stand in the shower and would deleting the toilet give more space?

-Wondering why the awning option is more expensive than the roof A/C unit? Is there a cheaper after-market awning? I was also thinking about not getting the roof ac and buying a portable ac unit instead. (roof seal integrity/ease of replacement/more headroom for me and scamp) Has anyone considered this or know if this may be a bad idea?

Thank you to anyone who reads this post. I'm sorry for the length and any irrelevance of my questions to you, just kidding. But really, thank you and have a great day!

-Jonathan
jonospinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jonathan! And you've asked some very relevant questions.

Toilet... The front bathroom is pretty roomy, and the shower pan sits in a separate, recessed section of the floor. I don't think the toilet will be in the way. If you're going to get the bathroom, I'd say get all of it. If anything, I'd delete the sink, not the toilet, as it does protrude into the shower space..

AC... I vote for the roof A/C. Portable A/Cs are a bother to set up and not as effective.

Awning... your call. Bought mine used without an awning and a $100 10x10 FirstUp works for me. I like being able to set it up away from the trailer for the best shade or view. We set up an outside kitchen under it, and I like to have some distance between my kitchen and bedroom. But lots of folks love their attached case awnings in spite of the high cost- always there, always ready. I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions on that. If I ever add an attached awning, I'm leaning toward the Shady Boy. Folks in buggy areas seem to like the freestanding Clam shelter.

The question you didn't ask... If you order new, you should at least consider the big bed option. My wife and I find the standard 45" wide dinette bed very confining. The big bed option trades some galley and closet space for a 54" wide dinette bed. You can see it on Scamp's website.

Best wishes!
Jon(athan) in AZ
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonospinach View Post
Hello everyone,

-Has anyone elected to delete the toilet option on their scamp? We usually have at least an outhouse available, and we'd like more room in the shower. I'm 6'0, can I stand in the shower and would deleting the toilet give more space?

-Wondering why the awning option is more expensive than the roof A/C unit? Is there a cheaper after-market awning? I was also thinking about not getting the roof ac and buying a portable ac unit instead. (roof seal integrity/ease of replacement/more headroom for me and scamp) Has anyone considered this or know if this may be a bad idea?

Thank you to anyone who reads this post. I'm sorry for the length and any irrelevance of my questions to you, just kidding. But really, thank you and have a great day!

-Jonathan
Jon,
Like you we graduated from years of tent camping to a 13' scamp and are delighted with the change. We initially thought we wanted the front bath and the wider bed but at the last minute changed our order to eliminate both. After two years we are very happy with the decision. For us the extra few inches of bed would not have been worth the loss of counter and storage space. A 13' is small in any configuration and without the bath it feels less constricted and more open and light (the big front window is lost with a bath). We have a porta-potti and normally have access to a campground bath or outhouse so lack of an on-board bathroom has not been a serious issue.

Not sure about the price of the awning vs AC but we did opt for the factory awning install and don't regret it. We use it often and it is so quick and easy to deploy that even if just stopping briefly en route for lunch, we'll frequently have it out for a bit of shade. I will admit to preferring the aesthetics of the scamp without the awning however.

In the end all of these are trade-offs and the right answer is one of personal preferences, a matter of figuring out what features and functions are most important to you. Good luck.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Jonathan, we have had two 13' Scamps over a 20 year period, 1st standard floor plan with couch/bunks in the front with porta-potty under it, but we out grew the narrow bed. The 2nd was a deluxe model with the wide bed, but in place of a couch/bunk there was an "L-shaped" counter top with storage under it where a porta-potty was also stored. We really liked the larger bed, but with retirement upon us Paula wanted a real bathroom. We ordered our Lil Snoozy with a porta-potty in the shower in place of a permanent mounted toilet, so it could be removed by just pulling one clip mount. This really opens up the shower area and makes it easy to wipe down the walls and floor with an automotive synthetic chamois. I have seen many posts by others with Scamps who elected to do away with the sink in the shower.
We elected not to get an awning this time as here in the southwest (Az,Co,Ut) the winds kick up without warning thus requiring diligence to quickly stow one away. Many campers have given high praise to a "Clam" portable shelter for ease of use and being able to withstand 70mph winds.
Good luck, hope you and your girlfriend will get what each wants.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:15 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Hi Jonathan and welcome. We bought a Boler 2 years ago which had front bunks and the standard bed. My wife and I wanted a bath so we renovated it (work in progress) and put a shower and porta pottie in. We like being able to remove the porta pottie for cleaning. We ditched our shower stall (utility sink) and shower curtain as it was to much of a pain and I am currently converting it to a wetbath. I am 5'9" and can barely stand in it, but as a wet bath could sit on the porta pottie for more room when showering. The Scamps may be taller. We also opted to make our bed wider and permanent, sacrificing the kitchenette but made a bunk there for our son. We.put a 5000 btu unit under his bunk which works great at night in the middle of summer but not so good during the heat of the day. A 7000 or 8000 unit would be better but chose the 5000 as it fit under the bunk. Many here install them in the closet or under the front bunk. We too are searching for a good deal on a clam. Good luck.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Johnny raises a good point for taller people. Bolers, Casitas, and early Scamps are shorter, about 5'10" in the center. A Scamp factory fire in January 2006 led to a change in the molds to make them taller, about 6'2", starting model year 2007. The change only affected the 13' model; the 16' and 19' were already taller.

You really need to get inside one and see for yourself whether it will work for you. Scamp has a referral program in which they sent you up with a local owner for a demo. The owner gets a small stipend if you order, so it's a win-win-win.

Scamp's deposit is small and cancellation policy very generous, so if you're thinking about ordering new, get your deposit in soon to secure a build date. I'm guessing they're already booked through most of the summer... If you change your mind or find the perfect used unit, the deposit is fully refundable up until they start building your trailer. You can make changes in the build specs during the wait as well. (Policies subject to change without notice, of course, so verify with Scamp.)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
ordering Scamp

Jonathan, I ordered a new Scamp over a month ago and at that time my PU date is Sept 25th. I agree with previous reply, order now to get on the build list.
My wife used a porta potty when we Van camped, we now ordered a bathroom in our Scamp. I figure we will spend most of our waking hours outside. I ordered the awning from Scamp, I would also like to have screened walls, but the addition from the awning manufacturer is over $800. The portable screen canopy may be the way to go for us.

We have already made some changes in our order and as you read and talk to other Scamp owners, you probably will too. I guess you could say that is an advantage of the long lead time. There are also some really decent used Scamps that come up occasionally. They go FAST!

Welcome,
Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Jonathan, Welcome to FGRV.

It's really a good idea to find an actual trailer in at least the same footage as what you're thinking of buying and getting inside. We looked at a Scamp, a Bolert, a Hunter Compact, Jr., and one other brand/model before we settled on our amerigo FG16. The littler trailers were too "tight" for us, particularly me, as I am horizontally gifted. We're not tall, so at least that wasn't an issue. Sounds like you are--it is an issue with some fiberglass trailers. Not all.

Welcom again.
Happy hunting,
and Happy Trails!

Kai
Old 02-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #9

Missouri
What a response!

Thank you everyone for your answers, suggestions and experiences. You all have been just as helpful (probably more) than all of my other resources combined.

After the sharp and painful realization that the Scamp may not work out for us, we've decided to fall back to a different option. The interior height of 6'2", made even shorter by a roof mounted A/C would force me to be ducking around. For me, this is the deal-breaker. I mentioned getting a portable A/C, but Jon from AZ is right-on with his prediction of inconvenience with such a product.

Our first and current consideration for a TT was the 6x10 "Rambler" model from "Eureka" campers. We understand that comparing this trailer to the Scamp is impossible. I know it isn't fiberglass, but I've heard this trailer mentioned here before (as an alternative). I was hoping somebody out there may have owned, or knows someone who owned one of these in the past. I cannot find any information about these, other than what's available on their own site, FB and the one thread here.

-Pros:
weight (about 1000lbs)
bathroom (portable toilet)
a/c tiny wheels
interior height over 6'1"
$price$

-Cons:
a/c is mounted to back or front (hopefully back, but is it a con?)
?? Durability ??
tiny wheels
exterior/portable grey water tank

Thank you again for all your help, this has been one of the most frustrating searches of my life.

-Jonathan

ps- current completion time at Scamp is the week of OCT 16th 2017
Old 02-21-2017, 01:02 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jon, before you rule anything out you really need to personally see and get inside any trailer you may be considering. A rally would be the place to try on FG TTs for size. Good luck with your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Jonathan, I agree about at least trying a Scamp on for size. There are quite a few 6+ footers who manage just fine. But not all.

I looked up the Eureka Rambler you mentioned. Functional but not pretty- an aerodynamic brick...LOL! I see they are aluminum framed, a plus. No propane, as far as I can tell, and the fridge is electric, which means you'd need hook-ups. That limits where you can camp a lot. I'm not seeing a bathroom or shower, either. It appears to be a small, independent operation, which I like.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Hello everyone,

-Jonathan
At 5' 11" I find my 2013 - 13' has plenty of headroom. Its not often I am standing up in the Scamp anyway. The toilet doesn't interfere with showering and actually aides by allowing sitting down at times, but the sink does a bit; still would keep it.

I think were I to order again I would delete the toilet and add a portable in its place. Easier to dump in outhouses, easier to clean around. Wouldn't be without a toilet in any case. The Scamp's toilet sits up on a 6 inch shelf so you couldn't stand there anyway.

We don't often carry an awning or AC. We try to avoid hot weather and often camp thru the Winter traveling to warmer climes and head to Lake Superior in the Summer. We do have an EZ up and a portable AC for the back window. We use the AC for our July 4th family reunions. 5000 BTU seems plenty. I can't remember ever using the EZ up, though there have been a few times I would have enjoyed its mosquito protection.

A Scamp provides decades of useful life and shocking high resale value, even after 30 years. Other non-fiberglass makes not so much.

Good luck, john
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #13

Missouri
w/o obstacles

I agree with everyone saying i need to get in a scamp before we decide. While I may still consider this, the dealbreaker is more of a "for the money" scenario. (For the $14,000 I'd rather have plenty of headroom rather than 1" to spare around the interior of the a/c unit.)

At the same price point, we could get into a 12' bobbie from Taylor coach which would allow plenty of headroom w/ less weight. This is another of our considerations.

Only problem with everything outside of Scamp, is the durability question.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions, please let me know if you have any more!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
My Humble Opinion
(I have so much to be humble about!)

When I was "researching" what we were going to do for travel, I came across an estimate from RV manufacturers that most aluminum trailers have a 10-year expected lifespan. Seems very short to me, and I bet it really depends on the care and covering you give it. I know our frequent camping, next-door neighbors (we've been here 17 years) are on their third aluminum rig now since we've known them. They had a number before we met them. They literally wore them out, traded them in for cheap, and bought new time after time. (Nice, if you can manage it!)

Many people keep their aluminum trailers longer--but some end up being disintegrating interios: mold on wheels.

The fiberglass ones sometimes have a lifespan of over 40 years (ours did have to be completely redone inside and out, as do many that old--but not all!).

What time frame are you looking at/planning for? The fiberglass often have excellent resale value. In 10 years odds are fairly good we can get our original purchase price out again, making our camping cheap! Not likely to get original value out of an aluminum rig unless it's top of the line and very well maintained and lightly used.

BUT resale was hardly a top priority. For us it was the interior configuration--some space. With a 16' Amerigo, we got some space.

At first it seems like you'll never find any of these to actually go into, but keep looking, they'll pop up. Be ready to drive a bit to go see 'em. Make that your "travel" and "vacations" for a while. Don't jump too fast to buy. LOTS of options will show up over time.

Wishing you good hunting
and Happy Trails!

BESt
Kai
Old 02-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #15

Missouri
re:

We'd love to spend the money just once or twice and get a fiberglass rv. Only problem is weight (for 16') and vertical space (13'). Thank you Kai for the lifespan estimate on aluminums.

My ideal buy (in any situation) would be to buy the one that will last. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any fiberglass campers that stand over 6'2 or 3 and weigh in under or at 2000 lbs.

I'm hoping that we can find the most suitable/cost effective camper that may hopefully last us 10+ years. Maybe by that time there will be better options out there. The whole thing just sucks, because Scamp (and similar makes) trump the aluminums by a wide margin. FG is my obvious choice, but my genes just wont let it happen!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've decided that an V8 vehicle is not necessary for my lifestyle, but camping is. I spent my camping youth wrestling pop-ups with my brother and parents. My independent camping experience has been in tents and the back of my X-terra SUV. My long-time girlfriend and I are sick of all that.
Wondering why the awning option is more expensive than the roof A/C unit? Is there a cheaper after-market awning? I was also thinking about not getting the roof ac and buying a portable ac unit instead. (roof seal integrity/ease of replacement/more headroom for me and scamp) Has anyone considered this or know if this may be a bad idea?
Jonathan
There are many V6s out there that will give you a good tow and decent MPG.
As for the price of an awning.....anything for RV or marine use is 3xs normal .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
FG is my obvious choice, but my genes just wont let it happen!
Maybe give a fgrv a try out. Thousands of folks seem happy in teardrops and no one can stand it those. ;-)
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Will you be towing with the Xterra? Is the engine a 4 or a 6?

There are a couple of molded-FG trailers with taller interiors. Eggcamper and Lil Snoozy come to mind. Probably about 2500 lbs, but I must point out that a 2500 lb egg shape or rounded clamshell will tow easier at highway speed than a 1500 lb square trailer of conventional build. I had a 16' x 7'W x 99"H square trailer, KZ Spree Escape E14RB, and got about 11 mpg. Towing a FG trailer, that mpg is more like 14. Wind resistance is a huge factor. Weight comes more into play when you start, stop and climb grades.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #19

Missouri
My tow vehicle is an xterra, 4.0L v-6. Towing cap. is 5000lbs for the motor and tranny, but the short wheelbase and under-sized rear suspension make it more like 3,500 for long distance.

I didn't want to be driving around at capacity all the time, so I dropped the number to 2000+gear (for my own comfort). MPG means less to me than transmission health. I figured more weight would lead to more wear. Of course I dont know that for sure either.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
For what it's worth, I've been towing my 17B Escape for eight years with a 2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 with a 3,500 / 350 tow and tongue capacity. Most trips involve climbing over the coast mountains of BC.
I have a transmission fluid cooler and I've had every service done on time. Transmission fluid has been flushed and replaced twice, according to the maintenance schedule. There has been no sign of issues with the transmission or the engine.
I think you can relax some.