Hi Im ken - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Member
 
Ken Jr's Avatar
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Posts: 84
Registry
Hi Im ken

We have recently retired and was thinking of down sizing from our 28-ft 5th. We have friends and family that have eggs. Just not sure about snow birding from Alaska with a small trailer. Would like any thoughts on the subject. Ken
__________________

__________________
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
reeves99's Avatar
 
Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Posts: 472
Registry
Welcome Ken. We have ordered a 13' Escape and plan to snowbird in that, so anything is possible! I warn you: these little eggs are addicting.
Best Wishes,
Phil


Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrak60 View Post
We have recently retired and was thinking of down sizing from our 28-ft 5th. We have friends and family that have eggs. Just not sure about snow birding from Alaska with a small trailer. Would like any thoughts on the subject. Ken
__________________

__________________
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
I know others don't seem to mind extended stays in the little eggs, but my wife has informed me that two weeks at a time is the longest she ever wants to stay in our EggCamper. (So far the longest we've been in it is six nights.) I suggested a three week trip to the western national parks this fall and she wouldn't go for it. YRMV
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Hi Ken, welcome to FiberglassRV. You'll find lots of friendly people here!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Member
 
Ken Jr's Avatar
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Posts: 84
Registry
My wife has suggested that we park the 5th some where down there and use the egg to go back and forth from Alaska and in Alaska. What is a good tow rig for an egg. My dually might be over kill
__________________
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Member
 
Ken Jr's Avatar
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Posts: 84
Registry
Thanks Ken
__________________
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrak60 View Post
My wife has suggested that we park the 5th some where down there and use the egg to go back and forth from Alaska and in Alaska. What is a good tow rig for an egg. My dually might be over kill
That's more like it. And, if you ever needed to get away...you would have a handy place to be by yourself.

Yes, the dually would probably be overkill, but overkill is better than underkill, (is there such a word?).
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Egg for two

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrak60 View Post
Just not sure about snow birding from Alaska with a small trailer. Would like any thoughts on the subject. Ken
We've been traveling for 11 years, starting in a motorhome and graduating down to an egg for the last four years. We moved to small trailers for a number of reasons, to let us go places only small rigs can go like Chaco Canyon, Labrador or Dunkin Donuts, it costs less, you don't take as much stuff, and it's easier. We went down from a 32 foot class A with infinite storage to a 16 foot trailer with limited space. It takes a change in thinking.

We average 7 months a year but have done up to 10 months in a 16 foot trailer, this year we'll do 9. We have no trouble living in a small space. It requires a little different routine but the benefits of travel are just amazing. We're always being stimulated by all the things there are to see and do, just amazing and exciting.

Our intention is to travel until we can't. We are so free on the road, free of the stress of normal life, really free of the stress of all those that normally surround our life. As well our physical health is better, we do more, eat less and feel better. Our minds are more stimulated by all there is to see and learn, so much is fresh compared to staying home. We feel like kids on summer vacation.

I know our style is not for everyone but there is much in the life style that is not obvious. It takes a reorientation, an opening of one's mind like a child. When you were a kid on summer vacation, you sought adventure. You still can. The RV is a tool for doing it.

Travel Safe,

Norm
__________________
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Posts: 699
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrak60 View Post
My wife has suggested that we park the 5th some where down there and use the egg to go back and forth from Alaska and in Alaska. What is a good tow rig for an egg. My dually might be over kill
I have some friends from Canada who do something similar. They are retired teachers and spend every winter in the U.S. using a permanently situated mobile home in Alabama as their base of operations. They travel back and forth from Canada, and extensively while here, with a large cabover camper on a diesel dually.
__________________
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I need a LIKE button for Norm's post above!!!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Member
 
Ken Jr's Avatar
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 84BigFoot 5th 2002 travelaire 5th wheel
Alaska
Posts: 84
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842

We've been traveling for 11 years, starting in a motorhome and graduating down to an egg for the last four years. We moved to small trailers for a number of reasons, to let us go places only small rigs can go like Chaco Canyon, Labrador or Dunkin Donuts, it costs less, you don't take as much stuff, and it's easier. We went down from a 32 foot class A with infinite storage to a 16 foot trailer with limited space. It takes a change in thinking.

We average 7 months a year but have done up to 10 months in a 16 foot trailer, this year we'll do 9. We have no trouble living in a small space. It requires a little different routine but the benefits of travel are just amazing. We're always being stimulated by all the things there are to see and do, just amazing and exciting.

Our intention is to travel until we can't. We are so free on the road, free of the stress of normal life, really free of the stress of all those that normally surround our life. As well our physical health is better, we do more, eat less and feel better. Our minds are more stimulated by all there is to see and learn, so much is fresh compared to staying home. We feel like kids on summer vacation.

I know our style is not for everyone but there is much in the life style that is not obvious. It takes a reorientation, an opening of one's mind like a child. When you were a kid on summer vacation, you sought adventure. You still can. The RV is a tool for doing it.

Travel Safe,

Norm
Thanks Norm, your words make me want to get on the road. The wife and I planed for this retirement for many years and being snow birds. The only thing we could not plan for was the change in price of fuel and way of life. Our first thought many years ago was a rig about the size of a big semi truck pulling trailer,boat and a car of some kind and now we are trying to be more real Ken
__________________
Ken Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
theresa p's Avatar
 
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Posts: 1,382
Registry
hi ken---we have travelled in our 13' outback for 10 weeks---our longest trip---and the only time we wished we had more space was when it rained for a number of days on end and we were visiting friends and had hoped to reciprocate their hospitality by "having them over for supper"...not easy to do with our bed permanently made, so no 4-person table available..and it being too wet out to sit outside at a picnic table. i guess if that is our biggest problem, we really didn't have a problem at all! instead, we took them out to a restaurant. and...no clean up required!
__________________
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Night Sailor's Avatar
 
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Posts: 963
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by widetrak60 View Post
My wife has suggested that we park the 5th some where down there and use the egg to go back and forth from Alaska and in Alaska. What is a good tow rig for an egg. My dually might be over kill
I have a dually myself and when towing a light boat trailer last year, I nearly destroyed my boat and trailer--it was bouncing off the ground like a ping pong ball and I could not even feel it in my pickup. An egg is much heavier though. It might be good to try towing one. Towing with a dually, I think you would want some tongue weight and a load in the bed too. Take this all with a grain of salt, because I have not done it.
__________________
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Member
 
Redguitar's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Former Serro Scotty and Toyota Motor Home owner
Alabama
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've been traveling for 11 years, starting in a motorhome and graduating down to an egg for the last four years. We moved to small trailers for a number of reasons, to let us go places only small rigs can go like Chaco Canyon, Labrador or Dunkin Donuts, it costs less, you don't take as much stuff, and it's easier. We went down from a 32 foot class A with infinite storage to a 16 foot trailer with limited space. It takes a change in thinking.

We average 7 months a year but have done up to 10 months in a 16 foot trailer, this year we'll do 9. We have no trouble living in a small space. It requires a little different routine but the benefits of travel are just amazing. We're always being stimulated by all the things there are to see and do, just amazing and exciting.

Our intention is to travel until we can't. We are so free on the road, free of the stress of normal life, really free of the stress of all those that normally surround our life. As well our physical health is better, we do more, eat less and feel better. Our minds are more stimulated by all there is to see and learn, so much is fresh compared to staying home. We feel like kids on summer vacation.

I know our style is not for everyone but there is much in the life style that is not obvious. It takes a reorientation, an opening of one's mind like a child. When you were a kid on summer vacation, you sought adventure. You still can. The RV is a tool for doing it.

Travel Safe,

Norm
Okay, you two are officially my heroes. That's exactly what I wanna do. Now, if I could only sell my business and my house...
__________________

__________________
Redguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 20' 1963 Ken-craft Travel Coach (California) halffull27 Misc: Buy | Sell | Trade 11 09-28-2012 02:57 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.