Hi I'm Kyle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 01:03 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Kyle
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe 1998
Washington
Hi I'm Kyle

My husband and I recently retired and purchased a 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe. We have enjoyed fixing it up and taking it on trips in the west and southwest. Our favorite places to go are Cedar Mesa and Comb Ridge Utah (been there 3 times already!) We have 2 grown sons and an adorable Boykin Spaniel named Annie who travels with us. Love to sew, sew on the road and recently started sewing curtains for Casitas - did not like the mini blinds that came with our Casita (I have a site on Etsy). Sitings of Casitas, or fiberglass trailers of any kind, are somewhat rare in our part of the country (eastern WA) so we are always excited to see one, and interested to see what people have done to fix them up!
KDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Name: Herb-in-FL
Trailer: looking to buy
Florida
Greetings

Hi, and welcome. I think you will thoroughly enjoy this forum and maybe find benefit too, from all the good advice and ideas that other members have to share.
Herb-in-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Welcome Kyle, I have a Casita Freedom Deluxe also. Does your have 2 water tanks under the floor like mine does? I cracked one last summer and I fiberglass it and it held water but I was concerned with the weight of the water in the tanks while traveling so I just spend a cold day today in Maine putting a piece of 1/2 plywood, Pressure treated, under the tanks, supported by 1/4 rods hung off the frame with "C" clamps.

Wish I could post pictures but I have tried with no luck

Don't understand why I get a HTTP box to add Pictures???
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Washington
Ours has 3 tanks - 1 fresh water, 1 black water and 1 gray water. We have not had any issues with any of them thus far as far as cracking. Did they crack due to freezing temperatures? We are having an unusually cold winter here.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #5

No as mentioned my tanks are hanging under the camper, in the back and I think, Due to the fact that the camper had no mud flaps on them and all road grime had dust just "sand blasted" the lower corner of the exposed tank.
Last year I filled both 10 gal. tanks, they are hooked together, and drove to my site. After getting set up I heard this loud "Crack" and went outside and saw a stream of water running out from under the camper.
The corner of the tank, which is about 12 inches behind the camper wheel had split.

As said I repaired it with fiberglass and it held water but I figured I would give it extra support and for sure before this years camping season I will have mud flaps on the camper.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Washington
Oh I see. No we don't have any exposed water tanks like that. I asked my husband about it and he thinks they must have been added on. Ours is under the dinette. I hope your repair works!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #7

I am sure it was an add on. Yes it is under the dinette area... I too am hoping the repair works. Many here on FGRV have told me fiberglass will not work but as said, after the season I repaired it and I filled it last summer and it held water.
So keeping fingers crossed.