Hi I'm Lena, owner of a rotten egg... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Geesh... Every time a general statement is made about reality, there are those that will attempt to disprove the general statement with exceptions. Of course they exist, that's why they are called exceptions.

I was just trying to point out that most newbies have no idea whatsoever of what they are getting into when they start a major restoration project on a fixer and may not have the skill sets $$$ and time to see it through. Add to that, using outside "professionals" will often further push the costs up beyond what most consider to be reasonable. I quoted US labor prices because those are what I know. If Canadians work for less in real $$$ let us all know and we can send work up that way

I have done complete referbs/restorations on more than 9 FGRV's and think that I have a good handle on costs and skill sets involved and have always gave the same advice. Always buy the very best you can as a starting base, and farming out work will quickly eat up any advantages, both and time and money.

I bought my Hunter from a family man who had to sell it because, in the 7 years he owned and worked on it, his family out grew it's capacity. I bought two other FGV "Projects" the same way and reaped a lot of the investment made by others that underestimate the scope of skills needed, and the costs involved.

And BTW: There are lot of 6 cylinder TV's, rated up to almost 6000 lbs towing limit, that will pull both early and late BigFoot 17's up mountains that have paved public hiways.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
We recently sold our 13' canned ham that had more than enlighten room for five. It had a huge, bigger than king bed with a two kid bunk over it.

In a boler, your two youngest could possibly share the lowest bunk for a bit. (It's pretty wide). You could also rig a hammock style bunk over the dinette. I'm ve see that sort of bunk.

This sort of Reno takes time or money...I wonder if you might de better off selling this one and putting proceeds plus a bit more into buying a further along one? One that just needs some elbow grease but the bones are solid? I know just how much time little ones suck...we have a 1 and 4 year old.

Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Oh yah, I forgot. Trillium also had an option for a bunk over the nearly queen sized bed.
Rear Bunks in Trillium 4500?

And by the way, I will not tell you that fixing your trailer is too much. Others have already done that. It is true, if you want to go camping, sell your current trailer, and purchase one that is ready to camp in. They exist, but shopping can be an almost full time job.

When I started on my fleet of six trailers, I had never done anything like this. I knew NOTHING. I asked questions here, and from my very helpful neighbour. I read posts here that informed me of things that I didn't even know that I needed to know.

I have learned lots, and it turns out I love working with fibreglass. I have five kids, four who live at home, so I don't have much time. The work progresses slowly:
My First Belly Band Thread
My Second Belly Band Thread
My first Trillium window thread.

If your like working with your hands, and have the drive to do it, then I say jump in with both feet! The tools are not expensive, and fibreglass is a very forgiving medium. My favourite line is, if you put down too much grind it off. If you grind off too much put more down.

It does get itchy though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Yeah, I was too "down cast"....definitely dive in if you want! We are remodeling a house with our youngsters plus our scamp which is campable but needs some love and maintenance and such...a project for sure. once the floor is done and the shell back on, you could theoretically go camping in it, too....so it could be used as you fix up the decorative a and appiances

Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote