Hi I'm Miriam: traveling with 2 kids by myself - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #1

Name: Miriam
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
Hi I'm Miriam: traveling with 2 kids by myself

Hi I'm Miriam. I live in rural Northern California with my husband and 2 kids (1.5 and 6). My husband is committed to a job that takes him away for 3 months every summer. I want to travel with the kids and figured small fiberglass trailer is the perfect way for us to travel and have beds and kitchenette available. I want my children to have lasting memories of the days when their mom took them around the country in a 13' trailer.

I am actively looking for a 13 footer with bunks. No preference on year or make but prefer everything to be in working condition. I go to bed thinking about scamps and Bolers and burros. Oh my!

Living in a rural town had increased my appreciation for all types of community organizations. I actively participate in online forums like this one and locally in my town with several nonprofit groups. I hope to learn and share with you.

I just posted a referral for a scamp that doesn't fit out needs but will make a great egg for someone else.
Thank you for including us in this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Ruralredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

Name: Nichole
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arkansas
Hi Miriam! I found your post about the 13 foot scamp in Nevada. I am going to look into it! I am in the same boat; traveling with my munchkins. Who are about the same ages (2 and 5). I really LOVE the one you found; and am debating figuring a way to reinstall some bunks on it. Good luck with your search!
aquathlete13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Miriam,
Have you looked here?
Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 02-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Miriam!

When I was a kid, we traveled all the way across the country to visit grandparents. Due to work, my Dad could only travel with us one direction. So for two or three weeks it was Mom, four kids, and a pop-up trailer. Wonderful memories!

A Scamp will be perfect! Best wishes finding the right one for you.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome Miriam
Sounds like a great plan. Spring is coming so more trailers will be coming up for sale but the good well priced ones do go fast so you will have to be ready to jump
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Late thought, Mariam... One thing to look for when you're shopping is trailer brakes. CA requires them over 1500 pounds, which includes most 13'ers once you load them up. Some older units lack them.

To allow a margin for adequate performance in our mountainous, high altitude West, I would personally want a tow vehicle rated for at least 2500 pounds and 250 pounds of tongue weight. We use a 3500 pound-rated Pilot to pull our 13' Scamp bunk model.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

California
Registry
You are not going to believe this; within about an hour of posting this intro, someone responded to a want add I had posted locally about a month ago. We drove about an hour and scooped up a 2002 13' scamp with bunks. It needs some minor work but she will be camp ready in no time. I hitched her to my 4-runner (6500 tow capacity) and home she is. I am overjoyed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #8

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
That's awesome Miriam! We would love to see some photos.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #9

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
No way, you are so lucky.
Congratulations. We need pictures!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
Wow!!! You work faster than I can type! Congratulations! Tires and bearings first...
Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I also vote for pictures. Don't skimp. Outside, and inside.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Well done and congratulations. Love having you and your enthusiasm in the FG community.

Walt

PS: pics yes, preferably with munchkins.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
miriam--i was a single mom with twins. every summer, the 3 of us borrowed grandpa's truck camper and just went!best times of my life.
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Wow ! Great post Miriium. We were both school teachers, and spent many summers hauling our two 'yung-uns' all over this continent in various 'camping experiences'. They're grown now, and often relate how advantaged they both felt that they were exposed to 'everything' by our adventurous traveling. We continue, now, in our retirement, while they plan the same for their next generation. There is so much to see and experience throughout Canada and the USA. 'Keep on Campin'.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Miriam, this is wonderful! Please post pictures soon. You'll find that people here are very helpful with any questions you have!

I live in Northern CA also, and it took me months to find my Lil Bigfoot!
Old 02-17-2016, 04:41 PM   #17

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
Yay Miriam! That's so exciting. You will have so much fun. I once rented an RV and drove from Winnipeg to Disneyworld with my 3 sons and a nephew. On the way back we stopped at Niagara Falls (Canadian side). What an adventure that was and the boys still talk about it. They even had fun dumping the porta potty. Later on my hubby and I had a 14' Glenella which I drove to London, Ontario taking my elderly parents with me. Hubby flew out and drove home with us. We now own a 17' Boler which needs some minor repairs. We brought it home on Hallowe'en and will be doing some summer travel with it. We are empty nesters now and are able to camp with our children and grandchildren. We borrowed our friend's 13' Boler for a couple of years, but he wouldn't consider selling it to us so we found a gem of our own. We are so excited to be a part of the FRV'ers and are looking forward to hitting a few rallies and just generally enjoying the new addition, warts and all.
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #18

California
Registry
First Photo

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the great comments. I feel very supported and encouraged that this is going to be a great adventure. I only have one picture for now, but rest assured there will be many more to come. I already have questions so I will scour the threads and post if I can't find the answers. She needs a little TLC and there are a couple of non-standard things in our camper that I would love some Scamp detective work on. For now, I leave you with our first family picture (I know she is riding a little high. I need a 4" drop on my 4-Runner). Thanks again for including me in this community and I look forward to sharing more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	92696
Old 02-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Niced pic.
Happy adventures to the four of you.

Walt
Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #20

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Miriam,

Just read this thread. Very nice! And, your picture says it all.

Congratulations,

Dean