Hi, I'm new - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Hi, I'm new

Tom here... I have 1022 days (about 2.75 years) until I retire and hit the road. By that time I will own a F-250 Diesel with all the bells and whistles. Finances will not be a problem once retirement day hits. I have been investigating Casitas and have just now begun researching Oliver's out of Tennessee. I definitely want a fiberglass trailer and zero interest in slide outs. I want a simple, long lasting trailer. I am learning many things thru forums like this. If you are a Casitas fan or an Oliver fan I would love to hear why. I realize the price difference, but Oliver offers a full 6 foot longer tandem axle. Anyway, I am certain you folks know tons more than I do at this point. Feel free to offer any information.
Oh yeah, thank you FiberglassRV for making the registration process so simple and thanks to anyone offering info to a relative newbie like myself.
tstorm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome and best of luck in your search! We recently bought a 28' fiberglass Bigfoot Silver Cloud and really like the dual axle setup and ample inside space. I hope you find something to your liking!
Kevin A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Tom,

You might also like to explore Escape. There are 36 members in the Texas Owners Group on the Escape Forum ( not owned by Escape ).

Escape Trailer Owners Community
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 2.05.57 PM.png  
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Thank you, I will be searching the web and trying to find what I think will make me happy. I'm a no frills kind of guy but know I will need more than a tent and camp fire to keep me happy. Have now added Bigfoot to my list of research material. Again, thank you.
tstorm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Tom,
With your TV, you can pull just about anything in the fiberglass trailer world. We love our Casita 17SD, but the Oliver is a step up, especially when you compare the interiors. The Escapes and Bigfoots are also nice, and both come in larger sizes. The Casita factory is in Rice, TX - you should consider a visit. Also lots of owners all over Texas.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
We have a NTU (new to us) Casita 17, which we're still adjusting to. I wish it were larger, but we can carry our outdoor camping gear in our Ford Expedition.

Here's an hour-long video wherein a new owner goes over all the goodies, inside and outside, of the Oliver:

It's really a gorgeous piece of equipment, and if I could afford one, I'd certainly consider it.

But I'm coming to the conclusion that the ideal personal towing setup is a fifth-wheel rig, because the hitch is directly over the truck's rear axle, hence fewer problems of sway and weight distribution; your F-250 should handle one easily. Escape, Bigfoot, and Scamp all make molded-fiberglass 5th-wheel models. The Scamp is less money.

If you have a full-size bed in the truck, Bigfoot makes a line of slide-in truck campers, too.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
...Escape, Bigfoot, and Scamp all make molded-fiberglass 5th-wheel models...
With Bigfoot it's "made," as in past tense. They haven't manufactured a fifth wheel for quite a few years.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
With Bigfoot it's "made," as in past tense. They haven't manufactured a fifth wheel for quite a few years.
Oh, right. My mistake. Thanks, Jon.

That leaves Escape and Scamp, I guess.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bigfoot trailers are wider than most which makes it nice when I'm inside the trailer but I have to pay extra attention to the width when towing in tight situations. As far as the other brands you mentioned, I would say YES to Oliver, Escape, and Casita if I was thinking of making a change. If you are looking for a used trailer, it's best to be flexible and consider all brand options.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome Tom. When you retire if you have time come on over to Florida for a visit. Florida has many state parks and like the ones we stayed in in Texas they are all nice. I would tell you July and August is not the best months but with the heat in Texas in those months you already know that. I hope you find the perfect trailer for your retirement.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Look at Parkliners in NC and Lil Snoozy in SC also. They have the bottoms of the rig engineered to reduce turbulence and do away with the need for sway bars. Lil Snoozy offers the convenience of being all electric also.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Lil Snoozy offers the convenience of being all electric also.
That's one way of looking at being tied to the power grid.