Hi, I'm "new" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Name: Kerri
Trailer: Currently shopping
Oregon
Hi, I'm "new"

Well, I am new, but have already been reading and even posted a couple times. I am in western Oregon, moving from the blissful coast to the Valley inferno for a while to help care for my mom. I am going to be living in a 25' TT ('98 Komfort)...that is another whole story...in my sister's rural driveway.
Yesterday my starter FG trailer arrived. Delivered by the nice biker dude who bought it 6 mo ago and decided it was too small for his 6'4" 350? lb frame...I traded him straight across for a canvas pop-up motorcycle trailer I bought years ago, and he had borrowed in the past.
I do not know what this trailer is, possibly a Boler, although it doesn't say that. It says Venture Industries, Canada, and on an owner-applied plate in front "ROBS BO BO TRAILER"....I will attempt to ad photos.
It is a BASKET CASE, and looks like very little original stuff. Sigh. When I first read this message board I kept wondering why all the people were taking their trailers to "reno" ...I now understand...I have not looked underneath yet. It just looked so sad I had to rescue it. ...photos to follow, but like they say, those who have weak stomachs may want to avert their eyes...
Kkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #2

Oregon
photos, I hope

oops...oh, I think it worked
Attached Thumbnails
141.jpg   138.jpg  

142.jpg   155.jpg  

Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We've seen far, far worse! Except for the side slider windows, it sure looks like a Ventura, at least that's how it's listed among our legacy manufacturers. Not sure about "Venture" vs. "Ventura." Definitely no direct connection to Boler beyond size and Canadian origin. Unlike Boler, I believe the interior is built out conventionally in wood. That, combined with the flat walls and square corners, should make renovations somewhat easier.

Best wishes with your project!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

Oregon
thanks!

When I actually get into it I will have a millions more questions (and put them on other thread), but I will just throw out one now...outside the (NOT original) door there is a metal plate/vent that says Coleman, but it has a solid back..perhaps the furnace used to be behind there...but the question is:in most of the FG trailers I have seen pics of there is a structural cabinet just to the left of door entry. This only has a short cabinet. Does this trailer not need the structure for roof, or did some uniformed person remove it when they took out furnace?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

Oregon
Ventura

Ok, So I looked at a lot of the Ventura info on the site. It sure looks like one of them. My confusion is the plate that says it was made in 1981, when the Venture Industries info says they were in production from 1972-77
Old 08-24-2017, 12:39 PM   #6

Oregon
ummm

...sorry for going on & on, but I just noticed the ID number and the 1981 plate are both put on with the same pop rivets as the ROBS BO BO TRAILER (sic) plate....maybe it was originally built in 70's and "Rob" rebuilt it, and covered over the original numbers and date... I am going to try and contact the person that the person I got it from got it from...thanks for any input !
Old 08-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It's possible someone else acquired the molds after Ventura ceased production and produced a knock-off. There was a lot of that going around in those days. We have some pretty knowledgeable historians on the site. I hope one of them will jump in soon. I'm curious now, too!

No idea about the closet, but I think your guess very likely. Whatever you do with the interior, some strategically located floor-to-ceiling support is a good idea.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #8

Oregon
Thank you. I am looking forward to finding out what it really is. And, they have taken out all upper cabinets, so I'll need to figure the support issue out...hope roof isn't too damaged. ....later
Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #9

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Straight out trade of a motocycle popup for an egg? Dang you've got a talent for barter.. or people!!! Probably the later. This looks like a great start to an in-too-deep renovation. ☺️. Good fun.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #10

Oregon
Ha! It is a pretty sad little trailer right now.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 PM   #11

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
TLC

Just needs a little TLC -- have pics of the interior?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #12

Oregon
Yes. It is a disaster
Attached Thumbnails
148.jpg   153.jpg  

149.jpg   145.jpg  

Old 08-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Not sure what you are seeing that makes it a disaster. It may take some cleaning, but everything looks in good shape from the pix. I'm guessing that "disaster" is a relative term! Anyway, welcome to the fiberglass world!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #14

Oregon
Thank you Kevin. I guess I see what looks like damage to trailer...not too concerned with decor or dirt....like the removal of the structural cabinet by the door that perhaps used to house the furnace; same with upper cupboards above sink that are missing, or, as suggested, perhaps someone built it themself and didn't put those cabinets in originally.
I am thrilled to have all the archival, and new, information here to guide me as I go!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I like the square-ish look to it. It does make for somewhat more room inside and a bit easier renovation. Wall panels can have flat sections--it's a bit like our 73 amerigo.

When you say disaster...you meant? Rotted floor? Rotted door frame? Door missing, missing hardware, or simply won't shut? Broken lines everywhere? Non- working appliances? Stink? Rot? Mold? Must? Cushions that go flat when you sit on them? Ripped fabrics? Um? for a small space, smaller than an average bedroom, it can take a LOT of work to renovate these things!

I'm hoping for your sake it's not a disaster, but only a moderate mess...I know for a fact that your photos don't show enough detail to tell us what the problems are--I do believe you!

Last photo--interior BEFORE renovation--looks pretty cute, doesn't it? Looks solid, nice, decent, usable--but it was not. Top photo shows where the interior battery box was, with hole right through the fiberglass--the whole floor was rotten, the wall panels disintegrating, the lines shot, appliances corroded beyond belief in the backs and undersides, you name it. took 9 months and over $3,000 to repair...3rd photo--our first trip after reno. LOTS to learn about it but we kept it VERY simple, since buying such a mess in the first place told us we're not nearly as smart as we thought we were--

Now, you, you got a heckuva trade there, and I wish you all the very best!

Kai
Attached Thumbnails
1A 7 Batter box area under the concealing material PO added.jpg   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 001.JPG  

Peanut 8 2016 D.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #16

Oregon
Kai---you had quite a go of it, and it DID look so beautiful in before photo! I can see some obvious water damage under front window, and a definite squishy spot in floor just inside door...door that does not shut right. Also, the strange outcropping above door looks to be cracking off.
I am in the process of moving, so really have't had time to get under it, look under dinette and other seats, etc in enough detail....that will come. I think I am going to do a sprinkler test on the roof as long as it is so bleeding hot here (to me, anything about 75 is Too Hot).

So..."When you say disaster...you meant? Rotted floor? Rotted door frame? Door missing, missing hardware, or simply won't shut? Broken lines everywhere? Non- working appliances? Stink? Rot? Mold? Must? Cushions that go flat when you sit on them? Ripped fabrics? Um? for a small space, smaller than an average bedroom, it can take a LOT of work to renovate these things!
" (I'll learn how to use the quote function soon here).......could be ALL of the above. Stay tuned
Yes, I'm hoping for "moderate mess." I was very excited to see it when he asked to trade, for sure!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #17

Registry
Strange Outcropping Above the Door 8) ;}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkat--I can see some obvious water damage under front window, and a definite squishy spot in floor just inside door...door that does not shut right. Also, the strange outcropping above door looks to be cracking off.

I am in the process of moving, so really have't had time to get under it, look under dinette and other seats, etc in enough detail....that will come. I think I am going to do a sprinkler test on the roof as long as it is so bleeding hot here (to me, anything about 75 is Too Hot).

So..."[B
When you say disaster...you meant? Rotted floor? Rotted door frame? Door missing, missing hardware, or simply won't shut? Broken lines everywhere? Non- working appliances? Stink? Rot? Mold? Must? Cushions that go flat when you sit on them? Ripped fabrics? Um? for a small space, smaller than an average bedroom, it can take a LOT of work to renovate these things!
[/B]" (I'll learn how to use the quote function soon here).......could be ALL of the above. Stay tuned
Yes, I'm hoping for "moderate mess." I was very excited to see it when he asked to trade, for sure!

Oh, yes, I'd have been very excited, too! We find we like Peanut (our trailer) more all the time...Paul uses it as his man-cave and reads in there, watching the cars and neighbors go buy most afternoons, cold or hot, rain or shine.

That outcropping is your doorway rain shield or "eyebrow" that is designed to keep sheets of water from running down inside the trailer when the door is open. I don't know if yours is original. Ours had been flattened and screwed on (over several vertical cracks!) and wasn't sealed with the proper butyl rubber (tape, caulk, etc.). Should you take it off to fix it, save it. We're having a hard time finding a new one that is still 3-D to put back. If I had such a thing, I might consider going over it with fiberglass resin and matte or cloth to make it sturdier; You could even fiberglass it right onto the trailer with some sanding first, saving screw holes and probably preventing more cracking. Also better rain diversion.

Possibly ours never had one and the flat piece was added to cover what we found out was damage from a collision that left the previous-previous owner dying and his car and trailer totaled. Paul filled over 82 holes in the fiberglass before he was done patching.

'Nuff bout us. YOU have a good idea, a sprinkler test...absolutely.

Where are you now? Quite a diff between the Oregon coast and inland.

If you were only much closer--but so be it.

My thoughts are with you! It's an exciting and daunting moment when you begin to find out what you're facing. My fingers are crossed that it's only moderate...some of what you speak of, though, is a bit more than that.

Brace yourself! But when you're done...may you well reap the rewards of all your work.

FGRV has many resources, use the Search engine above but ask down in the bottom blank, rather than the top.

BEST
Kai

Note "gray" rain shield above door. Gutter(?) Rain guard, "eyebrow", etc.
I actually thought it was 3D but it was screwed on FLAT. No use at all except to help hide vertical cracks from age, major crash, whatever.
Attached Thumbnails
amerigo door with rain guard close-up.jpg  
Old 08-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
It would be interesting to see a picture of the inside looking out to show where you think a cabinet or closet was removed. It my or may not have originally had overhead cabinets. Ours does not but it does have floor to ceiling closet and storage on one side.

As others have said, it looks pretty good and you probably have a pearl in the rough. As long as there is no rot or mildew around the door, floor or under windows, you should have minimal work to make it ready to go.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #19

Registry
Agree, I'd like to see where those things are missing, too. And does yours have interior wood paneling? Many of these 13' trailers are all fiberglass, a single shell with some kind of interior product, carpeting or a rubber layer, to act as insulation and help prevent condensation.

More pics?

BESt
Kai
Old 08-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Ok , so its a Ventura and my guess is a very early one before they were sold to Monarch Industries so probably around 72. There should have been a closet and the optional furnace would have been in the bottom of it. As you have noted, it was required for roof support. The roof is pretty weak with just some 1x2 braces to hold the load and to attach the interior too. To make matters worse, they were kerfed (notched) to allow them to bend easier to the shape of the roof which didn't leave much wood there. What i did on mine was to bend some 3/4" aluminum square tubing to shape and screw it to the sides of the roof supports that were there. There also should have been upper cabinets above the sink/ fridge area. The door looks like it was replaced as the originals had a terrible window that leaked and rotted out the door. On mine there was a serial number stamped on the frame on the street side by the propane mount. Mine was a 76. I would be checking with the DMV and make sure they will register it(just in case)

All Ventura threads

My rebuild thread
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote