Hi, I'm new and getting a 16' Scamp in July & questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
...Just be prepared that even new trailers have some quirks the first time they are used and towed...
In my mind, that's a good reason to camp in the vicinity of Backus for at least a couple of days after delivery as a shakedown. Hook up to water and electricity and make sure everything works. Disconnect everything, fill the fresh water tank partway, and make sure everything works in dry-camping mode. Empty the holding tanks. If a fitting happens to pop off the first time the plumbing is pressurized, or a wire comes loose and something stops working, it's nice to know you can easily take it to the factory for an "adjustment." I'm not saying such things are common, but they do happen occasionally.

Plan to check tire pressure and lug nuts several times during the first day's driving and once a day after that. Monitor hub temperature by bringing the back of your hand near the hub each time you stop driving for a break. I believe it's common to run a bit warm at first, but if it's too hot to touch, something is wrong. Again, problems are not common, but they can happen.

One more thing... the door seal Scamp uses is quite stiff when new. A few people have reported having the door pop open when towing, which is a bit disconcerting. Until the seal conforms to the door, it's a good idea to press the door hard into the seal before releasing the latch, and then give a good tug to make sure before you drive off.

Always double-check your hitch attachment every time you get ready to enter the vehicle to drive. When you first connect, it's a good practice to lower the tongue jack until the back of the vehicle starts to lift, ensuring that the coupler is securely latched (then raise it back again, of course). I bought a three-piece lock set from Reese. It includes a locking pin to secure the draw bar in the receiver and a small padlock to secure the coupler latch (preventing a mischievous teenager from unlatching the coupler or removing the pin while you're in the restroom in hopes of watching the "fun" when your trailer pops loose from the vehicle ), as well as a coupler lock that blocks the whole coupler when you're parked and unhitched. None of this above will deter a determined thief, but they will deter opportunistic theft and petty vandalism.
Reese Tow 'n Store Lock Kit

Hope I'm not scaring you... other than making sure the trailer is always firmly connected to the vehicle, these are minor things! They will soon become second nature and you can give your attention to the real reason you have a trailer: getting out there and enjoying all the beautiful places of our great continent!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #16

Name: mark
Trailer: 2017 , Casita 17' SD
California
Gordon, quite a list!!!!! may have to tow a 2nd trailer , just for the tools. HA HA HA.

Will see how many I can get together.
Thanks.

Mark

Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Gordon, quite a list!!!!! may have to tow a 2nd trailer , just for the tools. HA HA HA.
True, and further truth be told, I never carry everything on my list. Experience will tell one what is worth having, what is essential and what might be needed but then again might not, and if available locally does not need to be carried all the time. That experience grows every year, and so the list is ever changing (at least for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In my mind, that's a good reason to camp in the vicinity of Backus for at least a couple of days after delivery as a shakedown. Hook up to water and electricity and make sure everything works. ...
As usual, Jon has great advice.. and I even followed it by staying a few days in Backus when I got the trailer. So I agree that it is a good idea, but even then, I found a few problems but only later. So don't be surprised if you find some issues with the new camper weeks or months later. They probably will be minor enough that they will not prevent you from getting out there and enjoying the camping life.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #18

Name: Alice
Trailer: 16 'Scamp Trailer
California
I will confess to being slightly overwhelmed by all there is to learn, but am up for it.

If i attend rallies before getting my Scamp (and i see two in May) are there workshops & organized education like that or is it done just by smoozing?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #19

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Alice,

Wow, I don't have much to add after reading this thread. Laura and I just finished our first year with our new to us Casita and camped 38 nights.

Some rallies will have some workshops, etc. while others are smoozing, but you can still learn a great deal from just informally chatting with more seasoned egg campers. We love rallies!

Wishing you the best! You have amazing adventures.

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Washington (dry side)
Sanitize water system

I would include bringing or buying some chlorine bleach suitable for sanitizing the water system before first use or just use some water jugs for drinking and cooking until it can be done at home.

Jim A
Old 02-04-2017, 01:52 AM   #21

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Hi Alice

I spent months reading and rereading information here on this forum. There are years of excellent advice; from the 'search' command use the lower Google search box and just start typing in your search words.

Also, Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers has many tutorials, videos, lists, etc. It takes quite a bit of time to go through it all, and some of it you'll go back and read/watch again and again.

On this site, in the 'Documents Center' (under MORE in the version I'm using), is the 2016 Scamp Owner's Manual.

Happy Scamping!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll second the Scamp video tutorials on their website. They go over the basics and, most important, they show you the basics.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Gordon 'list

"Help !" , with Gordon's list you may need a semi ! Get good roadside assistance insurance & let them fix your problems . That way you can delete most of the list . Don't get carried away . Sorry Gordon , just my take . I'm older now so I let others do my work .
Old 02-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #24

Name: Alice
Trailer: 16 'Scamp Trailer
California
Thanks so much everyone for all this help!!! I will try to find the right balance between trying to learn everything and just making sure i am covered for problems with roadside assistance like "Jimp" said, and learn as i go somewhat. I dont really want to stay in MN after i pick up the Scamp though, if i can get away with not. It means some 12 hr drive days to get back out west if i do stay. Would rather have shorter days of driving as i get used to trailering. My tow vehicle is a 2000 Toyt 4Runner & it was quite a while ago that i last drove a trailer. I already got the hitch put on, but no anti sway bars. Am i going to be staying below 60 all the way even if the weather is calm?
Old 02-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #25

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Alice, you shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch with your 4Runner. You probably don't even need a sway bar, but it is inexpensive, light weight, easy to install/use, and may give you peace of mind.
Dave & Paula
Old 02-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
welcome!

I really like this sight...Alice asked and holy cow the flood gates opened up. The only little item I can add is pick up some Vaseline jelly and put a light coat on the outside of your brake and light plug. That way your lady hands will have an easier time with that plug. If there is anything you need at the last minute just south of Backus maybe a half an hour is Pleasureland RV, it's right on 371.
John
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #27

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I know you have long days ahead of you driving back home, but staying just the night you pick it up would alert you to any possible problems and give you time for the first setup. Then, it's off bright and early the next morning. You won't even have to unhitch if you're staying one night each place on the way home. Just put down your stabilizers, hook up to water and power, and you are set!
Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #28

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro
California
Registry
Get a pair of gauntlet style rubber gloves for your sewer hose also hand sanitizer. We bought a Scamp 13 from the factory a few years ago and went camping all over the area we did not have any problems whatsoever Oh! except one! bugs coated our window so bad and those nice clean window washer squeegees at our gas stations here is CA look like brown goop back there. Get a large jug of windex and some paper towels for your tug. Enjoy your adventure!

Tags
scamp