Hi, I'm new and getting a 16' Scamp in July & questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 16 'Scamp Trailer
California
Hi, I'm new and getting a 16' Scamp in July & questions

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to RVing but have only about a year until retirement, so I'm launching on a big learning curve to get up to speed on everything I need to learn. I've ordered a 16' Scamp and will go get it in MN in July (I live in CA) and then do some camping in the Tetons on the way home.

The first thing I need to know is when I go to MN, what things do I need to bring with me to make my Scamp immediately usable. I'm not talking about kitchen & camping stuff. I'll be bringing my whole pre-RV camping kit. What I need to know is what things are particular to Scamp RV camping that Scamp won't give me, like aids to hitching up & unhitching in the Tetons, dumping for the first time, hoses for filling with water, and stuff like that. I'm close to being a complete newbie at those things. Wow, there's a lot to learn.

I just had the correct hitch installed at U-haul, along with the brake controller. Next I guess I need a transmission cooler on my 2000 4Runner, right? Any advice on which one?

Thanks ahead of time,
Alice
AliceGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Welcome to the club! I hope you really enjoy your new trailer.

Some generic things to bring along would be:

1. A hose for potable water, probably 25 feet should be enough for most sites.
2. A water filter and a pressure reducer. These are usually available at Walmart or similar.
3. Leveling blocks of plastic or wood for uneven sites.
4. Wheel chocks (2)
5. 30 amp power cord to extend your reach to the power pole at the site. You may want adapters for 15 - 30 and 30 - 15 amps, too.
6. A sewer hose extender of 15 ft. I don't know how long the Scamp hose is, but sometimes it's a bit of distance to the connection.
7. A tool kit with hammer, screwdrivers, sockets, etc. for miscellaneous repairs and tightenings.
8. A hitch lock for the trailer when you unhitch and leave the site.
9. A welcome mat to wipe your feet outside the door.
10. A broom or small vacuum for inside.
11. Handi-Wipes for sinks and counters.

Have fun!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome Alice. One thing I had difficulty with when picking up our new Lil Snoozy 2000 miles away from Arizona, was getting license plates. I could get transportation plates, but they were only good for a few days, so no camping for us, as it took 3 days just to drive it back here.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

California
Thanks!

David,
OMG, I never thought to ask Scamp how long the temporary plates would be good for!! Something to consider for sure! Will email Scamp right now.

Kevin,
Thanks so much for this list. I asked the Scamp rep that question and got nothing. Incredibly helpful, thank you!!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Alice, you might try talking with your DMV to see what your options are.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Welcome
As fellow rv camper from socal
I d suggest going to a rally
Good one in oct at lake casitas near ventura we've gone for the last 5 yrs
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I picked up a new one in backus, they gave me a 30 day temporary licence. Also check on a " break a way switch" Mn. does not require them, but a lot of states do.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #8

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
We had no problems with the 30 day temporary tag. We picked up our Scamp and drove it to Dorset, Ontario for our vacation. Two weeks later when we were home we registered it in Kentucky.

Scamp will give you a 30 Amp to 15 Amp adapter.
You will need the drinking water hose and water pressure regulator.
Sewer hose and 30 Amp extension cord are also good to have.
JackieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you have auto club add rv tow coverage to your policy. Get you car setup with a brake controller and 7 pin trailer connector. You best start checking in if you need reservations to the places your planning to go. don't wait until the last minute for reservations. Here in California you need to make them on the first day of the month at 8 am 7 months ahead.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Note the first item (deep socket for removing spare tire) as it might be the one and only thing that is unique to Scamps. Or just throw the trailer spare tire in your tug. That way you know you can use it when you have a flat.
---
Tier-One

Tier-One includes priority tools and supplies that you should not leave home without. You should know how to safely use them, or have someone available who does.

Running Gear:
Proper tools to change tires. Check beforehand (Note Scamp needs deep socket to remove spare but regular socket is OK for mounting wheels to hubs)
Air compressor and tire pressure gauge
Jumper cables
Spare hitch pin and clips

Electrical:
Various adapters (15 to 30, maybe 50 to 30, 15 amp extension cord with adapter to 30 plug and/or 30 amp extension)
Multi-meter or 12 VDC and 120 VAC testers (also surge suppressor or better is recommended).
Spare wire (10 and 14 g), crimp connectors, wire nuts
Fuses
Bulbs (tug and trailer, inside and outside).
Wire cutter / crimp / strip tool
Wire ties

Plumbing:
Sewer hose extension and fittings (black water might require a 45 degree elbow to fit on a different hose)
Water heater drain plug socket
One or two drinking water Hoses with spare washers
Pressure regulator (limiter)
Container for lugging drinking water (esp if you only carry one hose).
Assorted sizes of Hose Clamps

Multi-purpose:
Adjustable wrenches, channel lock pliers, crescent wrench, needle nose and vice grip pliers (sized to the gear on your rig).
Small hack saw
Phillips and flat screwdrivers, also torx if needed.
Duct tape and or Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
Butyl tape
Spare rivets and rivet gun
Emery cloth and small wire brush
JB Weld
3M 4200 Marine caulk
Bailing wire
Any specialty tools or attachments required for your particular rig.
Owner’s manuals with parts lists.

Tier-Two

Tier-Two includes tool you might be able to get by without, but they come in handy or are required less frequently. Tier-Two tools are recommended when full timing or boodocking when ready access to stores or repair facilities is not expected. Some of these items are so lightweight that there really is no reason not to carry them.

Spare bearing and seal set with cotter pins. Bearing pre-packed with grease and sealed in baggie works well.
Tire plug repair kit
Metric and SAE Socket Set with extensions
Battery hydrometer
Torque Wrench
Hammer with claw or Axe–hammer and small crowbar
Electric screwdriver / drill and bits
Grease gun if you have “bearing buddies”
Can of WD-40
Chain quick links and shackles
Dielectric grease
Assorted bolts, screws, etc.
Sections of replacement hose(s)
TFE paste and Thread Seal Tape
Soldering iron with solder
Small bubble level
Refrigerator flue brush and/or canned air.
RV antifreeze if you might unexpectedly experience sub-freezing temps

--
As always.. this is IMHO and YMMV.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #11

California
Scamp temp license plates and going to a rally

I checked with Scamp and they give me temp plates for 31 days, so that's a relief. That will get me home for sure (or else I'll be in serious trouble with my boss, haha).

As for going to a rally, could I do that without my Scamp though? I went to an RV show up here in the bay area but they didn't have any educational things to offer.

Alice
Old 02-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #12

California
Thank you Gordon!!!!!!!!!! Reading through it now... Incredibly helpful. Just what I needed to know. We have very similar rigs. I got the standard 16', layout 7 because I'm a writer and need a secondary table set up at all times.
A
Old 02-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Alice, welcome to FGRV, I'm sure you'll have loads of good advice for all you questions and remember there are no dumb questions.
Most of all have a good time camping.
One good rule I try to follow while on a trip is.
Never stay just one night in one spot.
Nothing worst then arriving and having to cook and wolf down dinner only to wake up, wolf down breakfast and get back on the road.
Slow down and enjoy.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Gordon's list is very extensive and accurate and those items seem to find their way into our emergency kits and toolboxes in the course of owning a trailer. I haven't taken all that stuff on the pick-up trip, but I also like to know that I can stop at a Walmart or farm supply store somewhere on my route if I really need something. Basic tools and spare bulbs can get you through a lot. It is important to have a lug wrench or socket and bar for getting the spare off, though. Also, a small crank or scissor jack can be helpful for those tire related experiences.

Don't be overwhelmed by all this help. Just be prepared that even new trailers have some quirks the first time they are used and towed. And many things can wait for fixing until you get to a stopping point for the day. Only tires and the hitch would really necessitate emergency stops RIGHT NOW. We've even driven for a couple hours with no working trailer lights and taken our chances with being pulled over in the daytime. So many people don't use their turn signals these days that no one noticed our problem of no lights. At night, you have to have the lights!

P.S. I realized after writing this that Gordon's list (without the water related stuff) is pretty much my list for taking any trip in my 1969 VW Beetle! You never know when you'll need something.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
...Just be prepared that even new trailers have some quirks the first time they are used and towed...
In my mind, that's a good reason to camp in the vicinity of Backus for at least a couple of days after delivery as a shakedown. Hook up to water and electricity and make sure everything works. Disconnect everything, fill the fresh water tank partway, and make sure everything works in dry-camping mode. Empty the holding tanks. If a fitting happens to pop off the first time the plumbing is pressurized, or a wire comes loose and something stops working, it's nice to know you can easily take it to the factory for an "adjustment." I'm not saying such things are common, but they do happen occasionally.

Plan to check tire pressure and lug nuts several times during the first day's driving and once a day after that. Monitor hub temperature by bringing the back of your hand near the hub each time you stop driving for a break. I believe it's common to run a bit warm at first, but if it's too hot to touch, something is wrong. Again, problems are not common, but they can happen.

One more thing... the door seal Scamp uses is quite stiff when new. A few people have reported having the door pop open when towing, which is a bit disconcerting. Until the seal conforms to the door, it's a good idea to press the door hard into the seal before releasing the latch, and then give a good tug to make sure before you drive off.

Always double-check your hitch attachment every time you get ready to enter the vehicle to drive. When you first connect, it's a good practice to lower the tongue jack until the back of the vehicle starts to lift, ensuring that the coupler is securely latched (then raise it back again, of course). I bought a three-piece lock set from Reese. It includes a locking pin to secure the draw bar in the receiver and a small padlock to secure the coupler latch (preventing a mischievous teenager from unlatching the coupler or removing the pin while you're in the restroom in hopes of watching the "fun" when your trailer pops loose from the vehicle ), as well as a coupler lock that blocks the whole coupler when you're parked and unhitched. None of this above will deter a determined thief, but they will deter opportunistic theft and petty vandalism.
Reese Tow 'n Store Lock Kit

Hope I'm not scaring you... other than making sure the trailer is always firmly connected to the vehicle, these are minor things! They will soon become second nature and you can give your attention to the real reason you have a trailer: getting out there and enjoying all the beautiful places of our great continent!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #16

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Gordon, quite a list!!!!! may have to tow a 2nd trailer , just for the tools. HA HA HA.

Will see how many I can get together.
Thanks.

Mark
MK Evenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Gordon, quite a list!!!!! may have to tow a 2nd trailer , just for the tools. HA HA HA.
True, and further truth be told, I never carry everything on my list. Experience will tell one what is worth having, what is essential and what might be needed but then again might not, and if available locally does not need to be carried all the time. That experience grows every year, and so the list is ever changing (at least for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In my mind, that's a good reason to camp in the vicinity of Backus for at least a couple of days after delivery as a shakedown. Hook up to water and electricity and make sure everything works. ...
As usual, Jon has great advice.. and I even followed it by staying a few days in Backus when I got the trailer. So I agree that it is a good idea, but even then, I found a few problems but only later. So don't be surprised if you find some issues with the new camper weeks or months later. They probably will be minor enough that they will not prevent you from getting out there and enjoying the camping life.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #18

California
I will confess to being slightly overwhelmed by all there is to learn, but am up for it.

If i attend rallies before getting my Scamp (and i see two in May) are there workshops & organized education like that or is it done just by smoozing?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #19

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Alice,

Wow, I don't have much to add after reading this thread. Laura and I just finished our first year with our new to us Casita and camped 38 nights.

Some rallies will have some workshops, etc. while others are smoozing, but you can still learn a great deal from just informally chatting with more seasoned egg campers. We love rallies!

Wishing you the best! You have amazing adventures.

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #20

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B (previous 16' Scamp)
Washington (dry side)
Sanitize water system

I would include bringing or buying some chlorine bleach suitable for sanitizing the water system before first use or just use some water jugs for drinking and cooking until it can be done at home.

Jim A
Jallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp