hi-i'm new and glad to be here - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
hi-i'm new and glad to be here

i'm retired, a bit disabled and have had a casita freedom for a few years. i was pulling it with a silverado 4x4 and never knew it was behind me...and never knew it had brakes. when i was younger i hauled horses a lot so i am used to brakes...but the camper was so light and no one ever mentioned brakes. anyway, i had to switch to a rav4 6cyl 4wd and i am finding out about the brakes.

i'm wondering if others pull a casita 17' with a rav4 and how they do. i had to take out the captains chairs and table to make room for a special chair. and i plan on traveling light...with most stuff in the back of the suv. that's better, right?

as you can see i am a newbie to rvs...but i really am close to housebound if i don't have it. and i'm learning. and i don't want to be housebound any sooner than i have to be.

with the truck the driving was the easy part...i'm just hoping not much will change with the rav.

i finally mastered the water hook-up and sewer hose...but there are many bells and whistles i haven't figured out yet.

i basically lived in it for 4-5 months last summer/fall when i realized the house i just bought needed major construction. i have also used it for very long beach days...i just love hearing and smelling and seeing the waves and not having to go anywhere for food etc. everything is with me.

hope to talk to other rav4 owners...thx.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
To FiberglassRV! We're glad you're here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
......and i don't want to be housebound any sooner than i have to be.
That's the attitude!!!!!

What would you like us to call you? "L" seems so impersonal
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
2008 Rav4 v6 tow package... add air bags to the rear springs to eliminate squatting
..if you look in my album you will see it. The airbags from Firestone help alot...Rav4 notoriously have a soft rear. What's your tongue weight?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, L (Lydia, Linda, Len, Larry?)
It sounds like you might have made some mods that others could benefit from. If you get a chance to post photos, it would be appreciated (and we are a curious group, we love to see photos of the rigs!!).

Glad to have you join us
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

New Hampshire
actually...i seem to be "kayak" to everyone. not sure why that is what stuck. sorry it has been so long and thx for replys. wish i could say i was having fun...but not so much.

deryk-i think it is 365 (t. weight)...but the hitch guy said that seemed high and i should be fine at 350. am i correct it is best to put heavy stuff in car?

no one has said anything about air bags...so i am interested. im not very good on the computer...i have all kinds of gadgets...wait the word is devices , right? (guess how old i am?!?)...anyway-i can and do take many pics but then they disappear and i dont know how to send them anywhere. i used to know how to send them to my email but then couldnt do much with them either.

that is a goal...hopefully something i can learn while at the beach in the camper...at home all i do is work it seems.

i have a new question...the camper is almost 6 yrs old i guess...and it has mostly been stored...but the battery has always stayed in it during winter storage and i think that might be wrong. i dont remember where i read it. last fall once when i parked the camper drained the car battery and i needed a jump. so is that fixable or do i go get a new battery-i think its really corroded in there.

and another question-should i use the extra bar-stabilizer bar-that came from casita?

and my rav is a 2009. maybe i said it wrong last time.

thanks for any help. hope i will be around more. had to deal with some health stuff.

kayak
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
Well kayak, your max tongue weight is 350lbs per toyota.

Here is a link for the airbags Toyota Rav4 Firestone Air Bags, Rav4 Suspension Air Bags

I looked at a casita 17 but its tongue weight was higher then I would consider. My ParkLiner, with the 2 full propane tanks came in around 290lbs and I am thinking I need to lighten it. I might drop the 2 steel 20lb propane tanks for 1 30 lb fiberglass composite tank to drop about 40lbs off my tongue. I also just added to the rear a cargo carrier to the receiver hitch. Im not gonna put alot back there, trying to keep the weight reasonable but want to store hoses/cables/leveling blocks and a 5 gallon gas can for the generator outside. I also like that the cargo carrier can be a low table that I can set up a bbq close by and not need to carry an extra table...and can put my 7 gallow water jug on it for extra drinking water. Lots of possibilities!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 03-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

New Hampshire
thx again deryk...i like this: " Not all those who wander are lost;"

so...i guess i need to take the rav back to the dealer for the air bags?

my list is getting longer and longer...i havent found anyone to work on the camper that i like...how big a deal is it to replace the battery?

i would just as soon get rid of the propane thingys anyway...they are still full from the factory and the camper is 6 yrs old. i've had it 2 yrs and someone showed me how to work the heater and stove but i'm afraid. i use a little one burner propane stove and an electric heater.

so-without them and without the 2 captains chairs i think my weight will be within the limits. i wont carry water like i used to.

thanks again for the help. i'm trying to learn this site. will try to find the pics . kayak
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
ah np kayak. Depending on your skills, I did the airbags myself. They arent really complex, just sort of a pita to get it inside the coil spring... the first one might have taken me 40 minutes, the 2nd went much faster. I wouldn't pay a dealers prices to install it. If you have a friend who is handy could have them read the instructions and see if they feel up for it.

Reaplaceing batteries isn't hard at all... just expensive depending on the type.

You don't need to be afraid of the appliances... they are pretty straight forward to use. Go camping andmake a new friend and tell them your new at this... experienced people love helping out new people...I have ran my heater at least a half a dozen nights so far this year... usually in my friends driveway, but this weekend will be all remote up in the mountains.

A bit pricy, but you might consider it since its all about casita's Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #9

New Hampshire
well thats good. my son is really good with fixing cars so if i can figure out how to get the car and him together it will work i guess...hes 8 hrs away now. thx again. the brake controller gets put on tomorrow.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #10

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Welcome Kayak,
You couldnt have found a better site to have friends to help you with all the items that arise when you have an RV. I to have a mild disability and thankfully a husband who does all the heavy stuff.
It is very important to get out and enjoy yourself. You are in a part of America that has wonderful places to see.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #11

New Hampshire
thank you rosemary...i am getting a lot of help for sure. it is confusing. i think i found a shop that is more reasonable to folks like me with little rigs...that will help.

my daughter has been near irvine...her husband a pilot out of pendleton. at one point i thought i might go visit...but i have heard too many stories about mountain passes...i'm pretty happy in my own backyard. especially if i can take a nap, eat and pee (can you say that here?) without leaving the beach...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post

i have a new question...the camper is almost 6 yrs old i guess...and it has mostly been stored...but the battery has always stayed in it during winter storage and i think that might be wrong. i dont remember where i read it. last fall once when i parked the camper drained the car battery and i needed a jump. so is that fixable or do i go get a new battery-i think its really corroded in there.

kayak
Welcome kayak, glad you found us.

I have personally found that a batteries that are more than 4 years of age dont hold a charge as well as I would hope and one that has been allowed to run down low more than a few times is pretty well done. Its really easy to change a battery out and they can be purchased at Costco for a reasonable price.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Sure you can say pee, or queue, or even arrr, matey.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome, kayak,

Camp without batteries. If your tow vehicle can tow it, plug the Casita in and join a rally where fiberglass friends will help you.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #15

New Hampshire
ok-thank you all. i will have to look for rallys not too far from home ...