Hi I'm New and looking into a Scamp 13 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #15

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
joe, a friend is full timing in his 2012 scamp 13ft (after full timing in a TENT for 6yrs, now that's an outdoorsman!) and i'm full timing in my 2013 casita 13ft. we had fun last year comparing our trailers and found many similarities (as well as some differences)
i hope you love your 13ft scamp as much as i love my 13ft casita. absolutely the perfect full timing trailer for me and my little canine companion, merlin. best of luck and let us know what you end up with, claire

Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Russell View Post
Well, I'm new. We have been camping for about 35 years with a pop-up tent trailer but have recently retired and think a small fiberglass trailer would be better to go traveling with.
Joe,

Changing to a molded fiberglass trailer is going to bring about a shocking reduction in the interior space. Tent trailers are HUGE when set up! I'm not saying it's a deal breaker for you, it's just something to be aware of.

I just posted a response regarding towing with limited capacities on another thread.

Another new user with Subaru towing dreams

As noted on that thread, my observations are not meant to be unkindly but I am personally wary of wishful thinking and what it can do to our safety on the road. I wish you the best for your journey.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #17

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Russell View Post
With a fiberglass trailer instead of a pop-up tent trailer, we will probably change our style of camping/travelling. I think will be prepared to make more qualified decisions in the next couple of months, long before production begins. But I think we need to get in line since everyone here and out on the internet seem to be very happy with Scamps for the most part. I do want to find one near by to go inside. Anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area interested in giving us a "tour" of their Scamp 13?
Joe,

Perhaps better still, there is a fellow that rents here locally in University Place. I corresponded with him in July of 2015, so it looks like he's in it for the long haul.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/r...289636435.html
Old 09-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #18

Name: Joe
Trailer: In The Market
Washington
Thanks Mike,

Renting for a few days could answer a lot of unknown questions, and this is very close by.

When we camp with our pop-up we just use it for sleeping and we do warm water on the stove for sponge baths. Mainly it's a big closet for clothes. We always bring more clothes than we need in case the weather is different than we expect. We cook and eat outside. We "think" that if we have a closet and are traveling with occasional access to a laundromat that we will be forced to be more organized. Also we won't be taking six grandkids anymore :-(
Old 09-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #19

Name: Joe
Trailer: In The Market
Washington
Looked at a Used Scamp 13 today

So we had the opportunity to look at a used Scamp 13 today. It was a 1981 Standard and though we thought it needed more work than we were willing to attempt, it answered the biggest question we had. We can fit just fine on the bed, and there is more than enough room inside for what we are looking for. I do believe we want a newer one with brakes, a grey water storage tank and "maybe" that "big-bed" option. I also know how to check frame rails to make sure that they are straight and rust-free. And I want a door that closes properly. Clean is also going to be important, unless that's the last obstacle to overcome. The one we looked at would have needed to be gutted to ever be clean again... a frame repair, probably a new axle, heater was pretty sketchy, not sure if I would/could ever drink water from the faucet, windows and escape hatch were all caulked poorly... I think the seller was really glad to see me go. But I learned so much and appreciate him letting us go over and through it to better understand what we are really looking for.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #20

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Take heart Joe, I've seen some nice-looking trailers listed in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

I remember a gorgeous looking Boler listed last year in the Puyallup area that I sort of lusted after as it was listed listed for some time on Craigslist at what I thought was a very reasonable price. However, we were upsizing, not going the other way.

I've also seen Compact and Compact Jrs listed locally too. I was going to look at one with a pretty serious intent of purchasing. The owner and I agreed to get together after he got back from Canada. Then a Casita fell into our laps while he was out of town. Incidentally, it didn't bother him a bit; I'm sure it sold quickly.

Try using SearchTempest and Fiberglass-RV-4sale to see more.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #21

Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver 23, 2014 Ram Cummins
Northern Nevada
Be sure you go to a rally! These are extremely friendly events that include open house times where you can go in the trailers and see what has been done, ask any questions, etc. You'll even make new friends.

We have been to a couple of Casita events and are going to another one in Quincy, CA this month. Many different trailer brands will be there as you don't have to have a Casita to attend.

You'll begin to see which bed is best for you, if the headroom is sufficient, fridge or ice box, bathroom or porta-potty, solar or not, what tow vehicles works for each unit, etc.

Since you are considering a new trailer, maybe get the ball rolling with a deposit and then after attending a rally or two, decide on the final build.

I decided I was very interested in getting an Oliver, but the cost was prohibitive and I wasn't in a hurry. So I looked around and found one that was almost exactly what I would have ordered and at a much lower price. It was available immediately, so I snapped it up. Very happy! It turned out to be so fast that I had not sold my other trailer yet and had to scramble around to keep up with the deal. Then some of the things I would not have ordered for myself, turned out to be better than what I would have ordered. Again, very happy.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #22

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Joe,

Just FYI -

When shopping for used Scamp13s you should be aware that, after 2006, the interior height went up by several inches.

In early 2006, Scamp had a fire at the factory that burned up their 13' mold. When they created the new mold, the interior height of the Scamp13 became the same as a Scamp16.

IIRC, the bigger bed became an option in the Scamp13 Standard trailer around 2013. Most/all of the Scamp13 Deluxe trailers will likely have the larger bed.

Good luck!

Ray

Tags
scamp