Hi....I'm new. Lynn M - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: still shopping/Little Guy
Nevada
Hi....I'm new. Lynn M

I am hoping to "full-time" next year, in a Little Guy 5 wide, with my cat and Subaru Outback. I retired early (RN), due to medical issues, without pension yet, so I have limited resources (SSDI). I thought a Little Guy would be more practical than a tent, but of course I'm concerned on making it do-able for my cat. I know I would have to plan carefully for winter vs summer seasons, more for my cat than me. I've read the Fantastik fan works well, since I can't afford the upgraded air-conditions model. I'm sure there is much to learn from all of you.
Thanks in advance for your ad advice.....Lynn
Lynn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:34 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Hi Lynn,

Here's a Little Guy forum that can give you a lot of great information.

http://www.golittleguy.com/forum#/discussions

Enjoy your retirement.
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do you currently own the Little Guy? If not, look into a small fiberglass trailer like a Scamp 13. It will work much better for full timing, for you and the cat.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree with Bob. Don't know what your budget is, but with some looking you should be able to find a used 13' egg trailer (Scamp or similar) in good, clean, camp-ready condition for $6-8K. Indoor cooking, dining, and lounging on a rainy day sound very attractive to me, and your cat will thank you for the extra space! A simple, basic one should weigh 1500-1750 pounds loaded, which I believe is within the tow rating for most Outbacks.

If you click on the registry link under my user profile at the left of this post, you can see some pictures of my Scamp 13 to get an idea of what we're talking about.

I agree that a Fantastic Fan will do instead of an air conditioner as long as you are free to roam, following temperate weather.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Note that we own a teardrop, however it is vintage and only 4' wide. Only thing we can do is lay down in it. Very little storage space. Then bought a 13' Uhaul fiberglass camper. Now we can stand up, sit up, electric, and much more storage space. Spent two winters in it snow birding along with using a 12 X 12 screen house. Then along came a 17' Casita at a price we couldn't pass up. Even more space, bigger bed, side dinette and a bathroom. So there's advice from owners of three different campers. I would rule out the teardrop for long term camping, the 13' Uhaul is doable.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Have to agree with all--our current amerigo 16' is MUCH bigger inside than our previous GetAway Van...and MUCH more enjoyable for all activities! We camp with both our little pug girls. They love the many little niches and hidey holes, including the porta-potty niche with the long beach towel as privacy curtain.

And--our Fan-Tastic Vent fan does a good job of keeping that air moving over us--and moving air is cooler air. And the company's customer service is A-One.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:11 PM   #7

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
cooler

Living in Nevada you may want to look at a Turbo Cool water cooler, they use 12 volt and are solar powered. You also may find a used one from a dog catcher truck or tractor. No need to plug in to regular power.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

Nevada
Little Guy vs Scamp 13

I looked into Scamp 13 a couple of years ago, but the bath model withOUT wood interior was running $14,000 from dealer. I got nervous about towing (never have done it) and then scared off by all the bad stories about used scamp Scams and finding out you have no clear title. So I put everything on hold.
Lynn M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
I looked into Scamp 13 a couple of years ago, but the bath model withOUT wood interior was running $14,000 from dealer. I got nervous about towing (never have done it) and then scared off by all the bad stories about used scamp Scams and finding out you have no clear title. So I put everything on hold.
If you're concerned about towing, you could rent a fair-sized covered trailer from U-Haul (if you have a hitch) and practice with it for day...

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lynn, you will have to do what you think best, but if I physically inspected the trailer, the title, and the seller's ID (and they all match up in terms of name, address, and VIN) before I handed over my money, I would not be worried about a scam. Buying sight unseen from a distance- that's much riskier. But even that is possible, and there are some helpful old threads in the Money Matters section of the forum to learn how to protect yourself.

But again, you have to do what's comfortable for you.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Welcome aboard Lynn M. Lots of nice folks here to help you! Agree the Scamp would be a great bet - you wont regret it!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... I got nervous about towing (never have done it) and then scared off by all the bad stories about used scamp Scams and finding out you have no clear title. So I put everything on hold.
The reason there are scams with Scamp trailers is because Scamps are are high demand item in low supply, so the scammers use them as bait.

Now ask yourself, why would something be in high demand, with limited supply?

Scamps are not perfect. In fact if you search for threads I have started you will see very clearly that I know they are not perfect. But its a good camper.

Most Scamp scams are attempts to get someone to front some money in one way or another where the trailer being offered for sale does not even exist. If you do a personal inspection of the trailer and paperwork, you can avoid that.

BTW, have you full timed in a camper before? Many people find it is not what they expected.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Back to the cat- there are some outdoor tunnel/tent setups I've seen that might work for your cat in areas without predatory wildlife. Like this: Kittywalk Pet Enclosure Systems and Strollers at Petfavors.com (No idea if cats like these.) What I do with my dogs is put up X-pens but cats would go right over those. The other option would be harness and leash for the cat.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Don't be frightened by stories. Accidents can happen, but they are rare... and they can happen to anybody, not just trailer towing people.

As for title issues, you don't hand the money over until you see the state-issued title in their hands and look to see that it doesn't say on it anything about a lienholder. With that document you should be good to go.

Have a look at these ads:
'96 Scamp 13 $6500 1996 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | Broomfield, CO | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
'83 Scamp 13 $5500 Carson City 1983 Scamp 13 Trailer | Carson City, NV | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
'99 Scamp 13 $4500 St. George 1999 13' Scamp Trailer | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
'99 Casita 13 $6900 Sonoma CA 1999 13' Casita Patriot Standard |Sonoma, CA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
'71 Compact Jr $4200 Yucca Valley CA 1971 Hunter Compact Junior Fiberglass Camper | Yucca Valley, CA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

If you get to see a Little Guy teardrop and you decide it's the right thing for you, that's fine. Just be sure to spend some time in and around it, going through motions of doing some of the things you'd imagine yourself doing (reaching for clothes, cooking, dressing, etc.) to make sure you'll be comfortable.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #15

Nevada
I had a Kittywalk a couple of years ago. They liked it. But over time it got saggy.
I have a pet stroller and they loved it. So I will take it with. One of my cats recently died, suddenly, and she was the great traveler. The one I have left hates the car, and throws herself on the pavement when we use a leash. So it will be a challenge. The Clam screen tent has been recommended to me, so somehow I could get her set up in there.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #16

Nevada
Mike Magee,
Thanks so much for taking the time to show me these. I've only been on this site ONE day and everyone insists I need a scamp-type vs Little guy. I am having my first hand surgery reconstruction on Sept 15. If I cancel the second surgery, I might be able to put the money on a Scamp.
The first one on your list looks nice. But I just moved from there last year, and not sure I want to drive back on a "maybe." Now the second one is in Carson City, only a half hour away! But that exterior damage/issues concern me.
The third one in Sonoma looks possible and I could drive there this week. According to NADA, the weight might work. Subaru can only do a 100 # hitch weight, so that why Scamps are better suited.
But thanks for the info, so I can keep an eye on Fiberglass4sale site.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
TurboKOOL evaporation cooler--sounds good--and pricey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
Living in Nevada you may want to look at a Turbo Cool water cooler, they use 12 volt and are solar powered. You also may find a used one from a dog catcher truck or tractor. No need to plug in to regular power.

Not only is the TurboKOOL over $600 by itself, it needs a supply of water under pressure, and it's a big Q whether Lynn's Little Guy would have that available. They'll sell you a system for about $125, though, to add to the over $600. Didn't check on delivery costs; we're over $750 already , so maybe a Fan-Tastic Vent fan would be less pricey.

You can always set up a small clip-on fan to blow over a pan of cold water or ice. That's what we set up in our house on the hottest days, it works fairly well and is quite cheap.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #18

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Mike Magee,
Thanks so much for taking the time to show me these. I've only been on this site ONE day and everyone insists I need a scamp-type vs Little guy. I am having my first hand surgery reconstruction on Sept 15. If I cancel the second surgery, I might be able to put the money on a Scamp.
The first one on your list looks nice. But I just moved from there last year, and not sure I want to drive back on a "maybe." Now the second one is in Carson City, only a half hour away! But that exterior damage/issues concern me.
The third one in Sonoma looks possible and I could drive there this week. According to NADA, the weight might work. Subaru can only do a 100 # hitch weight, so that why Scamps are better suited.
But thanks for the info, so I can keep an eye on Fiberglass4sale site.
I for one am not surprised everyone on a fiberglass rv forum is suggesting a scamp.

You might check out the teardrop and tiny travel trailer forum for some btdt people full timing in teardrops. I think it's tnttt.com
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote