Hi, I'm Paul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Skamper Pop-Up
California
Hi, I'm Paul

Am looking for a used camper trailer, and haven't decided what I want yet.

Currently have a 1992 (I think) 8 foot Skamper pop-up on a 1994 Dodge Ram 3/4T 4x4 diesel pickup since 1993 (bought truck when they came out), and I'm tired of freezing in the winter and burning up in the summer. Also recently bought a 2015 Ram Power Wagon in August.

My camping is done as far from developed areas (ie no campgrounds except for Palomar Observatory Campground), city lights and/or lots of campers.

Reason being is that I do amateur astronomy, so, up all night or until I can't stay awake and sleep during the day. My website if curious:
Home Page | Astronomy and Other Interests | Paul Gaylord

Haven't updated the the main page with additions, been to lazy.

Happy Holidays to All,
Paul
Paul_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #2

Name: Paula
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2015 18.5
California
Registry
Paul
I'm very happy with the insulation on my Casita. In fact this is my 2nd one. The 16' was too small and found out after I bought the 16 that the weight difference between the 16 and 17 was only a few hundred pounds.
Last New Years Eve a few of us were up at Joshua Tree and it got down to the teens at night. It was so cold we couldn't even stay outside at the fire. when I got into my rig it was about in the 30's. I lit a candle, put it in the sink to bring up the temp and slept fine. I don't use the heater while dry camping and didn't have Mr. Buddy with me. Consider the Casita. They are pretty well insulated!
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #3

California
Paula,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm considering all right now.

I've kind of got ideas of what I would like for features in in a trailer.

I've looked at the following new trailers: Cricket, Aliner, R-pod, Nash 17 footer, and another A frame, the name which escapes the at the moment (not Chalet) and none of them did anything for me except one of them, and it wasn't enough for me to say I've got to buy it.

Paul
Old 12-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Paula,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm considering all right now.

I've kind of got ideas of what I would like for features in in a trailer.

I've looked at the following new trailers: Cricket, Aliner, R-pod, Nash 17 footer, and another A frame, the name which escapes the at the moment (not Chalet) and none of them did anything for me except one of them, and it wasn't enough for me to say I've got to buy it.

Paul
And none of the ones you mentioned are an all molded towable.... if you want to see a 95% list (a lot are orphaned brands) check out the home page list: The Fiberglass RV Community
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:48 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome Paul to FGRV. Have you been out to Borrego Springs? I'm sure you know that it's been designated as a "dark sky area" and there are MANY places to boondock.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

California
Donna,

Yes, I know, I don't think I've ever seen one up close, or wasn't paying attention when I did. I've been monitoring CraigsList and this site for long time before I registered, and have just recently decided to "test the water" so to speak.

Borrego Dave,

Yes, I've been to Borrego Springs, and various places in the Anza-Borrego Desert. When we have company, generally make sure to take them out there, with Font's Point being one of the highlights.

There's a group of us that go to Little Blair Valley for astronomy (my last trip though was in July for shots of Pluto to coincide with the New Horizons fly-by, been doing a project which I just completed, always seem to take longer than planned, but when you work on it for a few hours a day, it's just the way it is, especially since my retirement 2 years ago. don't feel the need to rush anything anymore). Been doing it for many years now.

A typical trip for me is three nights once a month when everything is going well. For a-lot of years, the direct road into Little Blair wasn't maintained, and while I'd still take it, a-lot of people would take the long way through Blair Valley for fear of damaging their vehicles.

I had some age related issues (knees, hip, shoulder) and didn't any astro for a couple of years. Was surprised to see that the direct Little Blair Vally road seems to be maintained now (kind of takes the challenge out of it). But, full size vehicles/trailers/RV's can still get pin-stripes.

My 94 truck is heavily desert pinstriped, which hasn't bothered me at all since the paint is bad and falling off anyway.

The 15 Power Wagon has only been out to the desert once, the first weekend that I bought it, played out there for about 100 miles to make sure all of its 4x4 features worked.

Happy Holidays,
Paul
Old 12-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Have to chuckle about the pinstripes. My buggy has plenty and I always say I've put every one on having a blast. No garage queen here .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote