Hi, I'm Penny... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Penny
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Wink Hi, I'm Penny...

Hi Everyone!

I'm Penny and I'm new here...I've been dreaming about a FGRV for some time and I happened across this site today. I haven't found one yet, but hopefully I will soon.

I'm looking for one that I could pull with an SUV so suggestions would be helpful. I was thinking a 13'.

Looking forward to reading and learning from all of you. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!
919wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #2

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
Welcome Penny,

I just joined a week ago and this site help me located a uhaul travel trailer yesterday. I was in the same boat trying to figure out what I wanted. Great info on each trailer here.

Make sure you join the facebook group, too.
USDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

Tennessee
OH, ok thanks! I didn't know there was one...see, I've already learned something...
Old 05-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Penny and Welcome to the group.

SUV is a very generic term, tell us exactly what make, model and year SUV you have and we can be of more help.

Also let us know what your sleeping requirements might be, your condition needs, distance you can travel to look/buy . and your approximate budget and, like "L" above, you may become extremely lucky and find something quickly.

Disclaimer: Finding one in a week is not typical for FGRV hunting.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #5

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDM View Post
I just joined a week ago and this site help me located a uhaul travel trailer yesterday. .
Bought that lotto ticket yet??
Old 05-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Welcome, Penny. And best of luck in your search.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Welcome, Penny.
I easily pull my 13 ft Scamp w. bathroom with my 2002 3.6 Subaru Outback. I found my Scamp on the FGRV site. 13 footers for sale go fast, so contact the owner as soon as you see what you want. I contacted the owner same day as posted, so did 3 others.

Use caution if searching through Craigs List - I got scammed making the foolish mistake of sending money on a non-existing trailer. The pictures were awesome, the price even more so, and I let my emotions take over when the fake seller said he was being shipped to Afganistan in a few days - even sent me a photo of him in uniform - all fake.

I later discovered FGRV and found my perfect egg. This is a great way to search for your new "toy". Best of luck and happy travels.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #8

RE: Scammers
But still be careful in fiberglass-RV-4sale.com as they pick up a lot their listings from Craigslist and I have no idea as to how well they vett them.

Same tips always apply: Sob story + low price + to good to be true = Red Flags of the scammer

Old 05-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

Name: Linh
Trailer: UHAUL
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Bought that lotto ticket yet??
You have no idea! My friends hate me cause I find deals galore. Even parking spaces will open up for me at random. I should play the lottery however I hate gambling.
USDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #10

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah check your tow capacity from the manuf. My Rav4 was 3500lbs in the v6 model.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

Tennessee
Oh, that's a good point! Right now I have a Honda CR-V which tows 1500 lbs only. I'm looking at a Honda HR-V which would probably haul about the same amount of weight.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #12

Tennessee
Thank you!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #13

Tennessee
Yikes! I'm sorry...but thanks for sharing that...

Glad you found something you like! Happy camping!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #14

I can't find a towing specification for the HRV but it is somewhat smaller than the CRV, has a smaller engine and is built on the Honda Fit chassis. You might want to get an owners manual in hand and verify the towing specification.

Update

Page 317 of the 2016 Honda HRV Owners Manual states:
Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your

warranties.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #15

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
1500 lb tow capacity is low...I try keeping my trailer weight low to not strain the vehicle. I moved up to the rav4 from a PT Cruiser for better row capacity.
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #16

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Here is a simple idea....first determine what unit you want...determine what it weighs....add about 20% to that weight...then select something that will tow more than that weight.....otherwise you will not be a happy camper.
It is easy to damage or destroy a tow vehicle if you try to tow more that the manufacturer has specified....safety is another concern...don't let the tail wag the dog.

Penny...good luck in your quest..always seek professional advise...there is much bogus advise on the Internet....know your sources for towing information.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #17

20% might be a little light for smaller FGRV's. Certainly if you had a 3500 lb sticky it might work, but you would probably try to put about that same amount in a smaller trailer anyway. I'd go with at least 33% with anything under 2500 lbs dry.

And you will also find advice that may be correct, but is very opinionated, often to the exclusion of other correct information.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #18

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
As I said..."seek professional advise".....we all have our opinions...some valid...some not.

First time RV shoppers either jump in uninformed or get so intimidated by all the technical information to do it right just give up the idea.

My first RV purchase was at a dealership. The owner walked me through the process with all the right information. That was in 1983 and I have been learning something every year since then. It is difficult to get it all right the first time.
Back in 1983 there was no internet...sometimes I think that was a good thing.
If you wanted information you went to the source and did not rely on Internet heresay......now everybody is an authority (or thinks they are).

Happy and Safe Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #19

In a perfect world, a good dealer is a plus. But for the huge majority of peeps on this site that have are looking for or who have purchased FGRV's, the usual source is a person to person sale and sellers are not always that swooft or interested in disclosing known issues or providing How-To information to a buyer. As a result, it behooves newbies to seek as much outside information as possible.

Don't get turned off by the Internet poo-pooers.... There is a lot of excellent information here, but you do need to be able to sort and filter what's proffered.

And, for what it's worth, I have heard of, as well as received myself, a lot of bum information from dealer sales and service reps as well.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #20

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
It is best to have a tow vehicle that can pull more than what your fully loaded trailer will weigh. I doubt that my 16' Scamp would ever way more than 2,800 pounds. My TV is rated at 3,500 lbs and pulls my Scamp very nicely (even going up hills). My tug is a 2011 Honda Odyssey and I added a transmission cooler and a brake controller in addition to a trailer hitch.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote