Hi I'm Roger Wilhelm - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: Trails West Campster andTeardrop American
California
Registry
I wonder what it would take to adapt mount the cabin on a stock trailer like the ones from Reds or Harbor Freight? That might make for a sturdier and more usable unit. Wish I knew how the cabin was mounted on the original frame. It would REALLY be nice of there were drawing or cutaways of the original trailer.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There was one for sale over on the tnttt forum, located in CA, and was still available back in May. You should also post over there that you are looking. We have a 1946 Modernistic teardrop that will leak around the door hinge and hatch at times, mainly when towing. We keep one of those cheap blue tarps under the mattress and pull it up over when traveling if it is raining, or even looks like it might. When set up in a campsite we have a canopy over the trailer. Keeps it dry and out of the sun.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #17

California
Registry
Thanks. I think it is no longer available, but I will recheck. I'm not real worried about the leaking. If the weather is going to be bad, I'd rather stay home. Just worried about getting caught while on the road. Regardless, I will be doing some serious research on gaskets and seals.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check for gaskets at perfect fit.com, they may have something.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #19

California
Registry
Thank you. I will indeed check to see what they have. Any port in a storm and any fix that works.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The problem with the American Teardrops wasn't as much the gaskets as that the door part changes shape as it ages. These are not made of fiberglass, rather of some sort of thermoplastic that proved to not be so shape stable.

There are a lot of other FGRV & teardrop alternatives out there, just keep looking and, BTW; Buyers season is about to start as many owners will want to sell and not store a rig for the winter. Patience will pay off.....

And there are always pop-up tent trailer like this StarCraft I just restored, total investment was less than $750.:
advocateone's Library | Photobucket

Keep you options open.....
Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #21

New York
Bob, We've seen only one of those little Starcrafts. It was for sale several years ago at a car show, and while we wandered around debating about buying it for our daughter it got sold. Price may have been around $650, but can't exactly remember. We have a 1973 Starcraft popup that sleeps 8, put new canvas on it several years ago, it's in nice shape but we haven't used it in a few years, Mary wants to sell it, I don't. I'd like to find a Higgins popup like we used to go to South Dakota in when I was a kid, borrowed it from "Uncle Milty".
Old 08-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #22

California
I have only seen 3 like this one in SoCal in the past several years, the other two needed new canvas, but this one's was still decent. I actually bought it from a National Recreation Area Ranger, who had owned it for about 10 years, but it was a bit worn when it came home with me.

BTW: The single ended one is called a "14", the double ended version a "16" and an even rarer version with no pull out beds (sleeps 2) is a "12". Only seen pics of one of the 12's.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #23

California
Registry
American Outback

I have made contact with the place in Washington that has the American Outback cabins. He says that he has four shells with doors and hatches. There are no frames, windows and not much of the other hardware. Apparently when the auction took place 23 years ago, they auction each piece separately. He mentioned 2 other purchasers one of whom he sure has no parts and pieces. He said that he would email pictures of what he has. He also has one complete trailer that he bought to use as a pattern for restoring the others. Never got around to it. The price for a cabin, doors and hatch is $500. I will report more as I find out details. For me, I think it would be a fun project to build one using a modern trailer. AND, I can do it as budget and time allows. Thanks to Bob Miller for the lead on this one.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Welcome

Roger,

Welcome to FGRV!

Roger

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking My sense of humor

You have to know my sense of humor. This is one aspect:

While driving through Fortuna, CA recently, I stopped at the Safeway there and bought a can of tuna because:

I always wanted to be able to say that I went to Fortuna for tuna.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #26

California
Registry
I appreciate your humor. I'm a limerick man myself. Also am VERY fond of shaggy dog stories.

Good for you, Roger One of my favorite old jokes ends up "Roger dodger you ol' codger, I'm a major too!"

Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #27

California
Outback Teardrops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilhelm View Post
I have made contact with the place in Washington that has the American Outback cabins. He says that he has four shells with doors and hatches. There are no frames, windows and not much of the other hardware. Apparently when the auction took place 23 years ago, they auction each piece separately. He mentioned 2 other purchasers one of whom he sure has no parts and pieces. He said that he would email pictures of what he has. He also has one complete trailer that he bought to use as a pattern for restoring the others. Never got around to it. The price for a cabin, doors and hatch is $500. I will report more as I find out details. For me, I think it would be a fun project to build one using a modern trailer. AND, I can do it as budget and time allows. Thanks to Bob Miller for the lead on this one.
Happy to hear you were able to make contact. That was about the same story and exactly the same price that I heard 2 years ago. I suspect that a smaller hand full of Ben Franklins will get you what you want.

Next week the tourist season at Lake Chelan ends and it's a much nicer place to visit, but don't wait much past Halloween.

Good Luck and keep us informed about what you are doing with this.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #28

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
You have to know my sense of humor. This is one aspect:

While driving through Fortuna, CA recently, I stopped at the Safeway there and bought a can of tuna because:

I always wanted to be able to say that I went to Fortuna for tuna.
Come to think of it, I am a newbie. And I was raised in Dinuba Calif. Sooo (wait for it) ......... I'm a newbie from Dinubie (groan) Good thing I'm not a girl, then I would er ah be a newbie with ........ guess I had better leave that alone!