Hi! I'm Sara from Coral Springs, FL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Hi! I'm Sara from Coral Springs, FL

Following extensive research I determined I will buy a fiberglass trailer!

Needless to write, I still have a lot to learn and I am certain that joining fiberglassrv.com will serve me very well.

I'm in my sixties and eventually will be looking for something small (16'-17').
Cybercuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Welcome Sara. FGRVs are kind of scarce down here but can be found with a diligent search. Good luck!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #3

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Sara

You've come to the right place. Fiberglass is the way to go. I'll be 70 next year and have owned my 13 ft. Trillium trailer for the past 3 years. It's just the right size for ease of towing, cleaning, living, etc. This past summer I completed a 3 month road trip to the Arctic with a friend. A bit of preparation needed before that trip - like new tires - but it all went well.
Lots of great help from other members here so ask questions. Good luck in finding a fiberglass trailer. It took me nearly 5 years to find a new-to-me model that was affordable and in good enough condition. If I had the resources I would have ordered a new Escape but they no longer make 13ft. models. Of course it depends on what your tow vehicle will be as well.
Easy to tow with my 4 cyl pickup truck. It follows along behind you like a little puppy!
Enjoy exploring the forums here.
Barb from the Great White North (Canada)
Old 01-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Welcome. I would point out that as you start to look you understand the weights of the various models in light of your intended tow vehicle. The Casita 17, a very popular model, requires a step up in size from Casita/Scamp 16s. Many folks find the added headroom attractive and find their tow vehicle challenged.
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #5

Florida
If at first you don't succeed . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Welcome Sara. FGRVs are kind of scarce down here but can be found with a diligent search. Good luck!
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the good wishes! Fortunately, I'm in no hurry and I never give up when I really want something. So . . . sooner or later I will find the one for me and switch from a tent to a travel trailer.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #6

Florida
The right place at the right time . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
You've come to the right place. Fiberglass is the way to go. I'll be 70 next year and have owned my 13 ft. Trillium trailer for the past 3 years. It's just the right size for ease of towing, cleaning, living, etc. This past summer I completed a 3 month road trip to the Arctic with a friend. A bit of preparation needed before that trip - like new tires - but it all went well.
Lots of great help from other members here so ask questions. Good luck in finding a fiberglass trailer. It took me nearly 5 years to find a new-to-me model that was affordable and in good enough condition. If I had the resources I would have ordered a new Escape but they no longer make 13ft. models. Of course it depends on what your tow vehicle will be as well.
Easy to tow with my 4 cyl pickup truck. It follows along behind you like a little puppy!
Enjoy exploring the forums here.
Barb from the Great White North (Canada)
Hi Barb!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great post! If I'm fortunate, my grandchildren will be joining me occasionally once I buy the trailer. I have a Toyota 4runner and can tow a bit more than a 13' trailer. Also, I have thought about the possibility of escaping from the condo life in the big city and living in the trailer full time. Thanks again for your post!
Sara in saunaville, Florida
Old 01-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #7

Florida
4runnerTVsRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Steve View Post
Welcome. I would point out that as you start to look you understand the weights of the various models in light of your intended tow vehicle. The Casita 17, a very popular model, requires a step up in size from Casita/Scamp 16s. Many folks find the added headroom attractive and find their tow vehicle challenged.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am fortunate in that I drive a Toyota 4Runner V6 4.0L with capacity of 5000 lbs and know to stay within the safe weights of a fully loaded trailer. If I buy something that requires that I upgrade my TV, I will do so. Thanks for the great advice and for making me feel welcome!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Sara!

Depending on the year and drivetrain of your 4Runner, you should have a number of viable options to look for.

Check out the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section for some data on actual loaded-for-camping weights of many different makes and models. Post #297 links to a downloadable spreadsheet.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
You might try
Searchtempest
This site once you enter all required fields will search all craigslist for whatever trailer brand you enter within the mileage area you select
Just remember buy beware for scammers
Best of luck in your search

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercuban View Post
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am fortunate in that I drive a Toyota 4Runner V6 4.0L with capacity of 5000 lbs and know to stay within the safe weights of a fully loaded trailer.
Your vehicle is the "goldilocks" tow vehicle for a fiberglass trailer and you already own it. It may be the most popular tow vehicle for a 17 Casita. Many use a weight distributing hitch, but you are fortunate that it won't limit your choices.
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 PM   #11

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Sara,

Welcome! I am sure you will find the perfect FG trailer. I agree with the others, you have a wonderful tug for many FG trailers. Looks like you are well on your way.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #12

Florida
You got me at "Real World"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Sara!

Depending on the year and drivetrain of your 4Runner, you should have a number of viable options to look for.

Check out the sticky thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section for some data on actual loaded-for-camping weights of many different makes and models. Post #297 links to a downloadable spreadsheet.

Best wishes in your search!
Hi Jon!

Thank you for the warm welcome and ESPECIALLY for your recommended thread! During my research, I had definitely noticed a BIG discrepancy within the vast opinions regarding the genuine dry weight of different trailers.

I can't wait to check out the recommended thread and will download the spreadsheet.

Thanks again!

Sara in Coral Springs, Florida
Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi! I'm Sara from Coral Springs, FL

Since you seem interested... The spreadsheet has filters at the top of each field, so you can look at a particular manufacturer or length. After you apply the filters, down at the bottom you will find stats for axle weight, tongue weight, and total weight.

It's how I know, for example, that the average weight of a loaded Casita 17 Deluxe is 3300 pounds with a 425 pound hitch weight.

I'm a former math teacher, so I love to play with numbers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #14

Florida
Great recommendation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
You might try
Searchtempest
This site once you enter all required fields will search all craigslist for whatever trailer brand you enter within the mileage area you select
Just remember buy beware for scammers
Best of luck in your search

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Hi Alan!

I never expected to receive such great advice so soon! Thank you so much for your recommendation to the search site. I will definitely check it out and thank you for the warm welcome!
Old 01-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #15

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Hi Sara. I am in Florida also. Towing a 17' Casita with the same 4Runner. Tows like its not even there.

I got the Spirit but wish I would have got the Liberty for the twins.

Enjoy!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:39 AM   #16

Florida
Smile floridiansRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
Hi Sara. I am in Florida also. Towing a 17' Casita with the same 4Runner. Tows like its not even there.

I got the Spirit but wish I would have got the Liberty for the twins.

Enjoy!
Hi Tap!

It's reassuring to know a 17' Casita does well behind a 4Runner.

The "twins" ???????

Anyone raising twins fills me with ADMIRATION!!

I was blessed with 3 boys and fortunately had a bit of time to pause in between.

Thanks for your post.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #17

Florida
Thumbs up What a great spreadsheet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Since you seem interested... The spreadsheet has filters at the top of each field, so you can look at a particular manufacturer or length. After you apply the filters, down at the bottom you will find stats for axle weight, tongue weight, and total weight.

It's how I know, for example, that the average weight of a loaded Casita 17 Deluxe is 3300 pounds with a 425 pound hitch weight.

I'm a former math teacher, so I love to play with numbers.
Hi again!

Downloaded the spreadsheet and am thrilled with it. VERY useful information.

Unfortunately, I required a tutor to get through Algebra.

I think of Math as a universal language and admire anyone that is comfortable enough to enjoy playing with numbers.

Thanks again for your post!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #18

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
Ummmm. Sorry. I meant twin beds, not kids!
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #19

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, Sara. Best luck finding your egg.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #20

Florida
Talking Geesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
Ummmm. Sorry. I meant twin beds, not kids!
Well . . . Tap . . .

I have provided an excellent example of why there is so much conflict on the planet. Sometimes, I am certain that I understood someone, only to discover I wasn't even close!

Thanks for the clarification as it provided me with a much needed laugh!