Hi, I'm Stacey - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Stacey
Trailer: shopping for Scamp or similar
Florida
Hi, I'm Stacey

I'm in the market for a 13' Scamp or similar trailer. I have a limited budget but also don't want a complete fixer-upper. Any help is appreciated! Thx
sgsdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Stacy!

You can sometimes find better deals in less well-known brands, but with any older trailer be prepared to do a careful inspection. Surprises can get expensive. Here's a link to a useful Buyer's Checklist. I'm thinking $4000-6000 is a good range for a decent basic 13'er. Much less than that and you will probably spend the difference quickly in repairs.

How many people are going to be using it, what equipment do you consider essential, and what are you planning to pull it with?

The classified ads (and archives) here and at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale will give you some ideas of what's out there and how much they go for. You will quickly see that condition and location matter more than age when it comes to used eggs.

Once you're ready to move forward with a purchase, you'll want to have your ducks lined up (cash on hand, vehicle ready to tow) and be prepared to act quickly and decisively. Good ones at modest prices sell very quickly, sometimes in hours.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Stacy, and Welcome to the group.

To add to (and support) Jon's questions and comments:
Right now is the near peak of the selling season, even in the south prices will start dropping about late October so, if price is a high consideration, you might do well to take a few months learning about these critters and then jump into the shopping mode. That's not to say a bargain can't show up in mid-summer, but they are rare.

And..... Most of the time bargain prices are either a scammer (esp on Craig's List) or are, like the proverbial stolen car, gone in 60 seconds. Well, maybe a bit longer, but seldom more than 1-3 days.

And last, what will you be towing with. As many have learned, that can sometimes be a controlling factor on what you can tow. Please provide year, make and model.

And good luck hunting...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Much can and has been said about a getting a good deal on a good camper. Having the ability to purchase rapidly is important. Avoiding scams, become familiar with the prices by following the for sale section here and at fiberglassrv4sale.com to get an idea of what these campers go for.

Biggest trick is to avoid things that require big upfront work or expense to even use the camper. Totally shot axle, numerous or bad leaks, rotted floor in short the stuff that makes it so you can't use the camper.

Even with some stuff not working and used as a hard sided tent one can make repairs and improvements over time. Sometimes better to use a bit in order to know what could be done during the remodel and fix up to make it better for the way you use it.

A camper with good bones as they say. Learn what you can about the appliances, leaks, axle repairs etc. by just browsing the site. Do a search on some item or aspect and browse. Can learn a lot.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site Stacey.

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks 1ATony!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Florida
Thanks Jon in AZ. I appreciate your feedback. I've been doing my homework for a while before signing up here and it looks like my budget "guesstimate" is in line with what you're saying.
Thanks for the tips
Stacey
Old 07-31-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

Florida
Thanks Bob Miller. I've noticed how quickly the trailers sell. I won't be ready to hit the road until next year. I'll be driving a Subaru Outback, only 2 people. We're photographers, we'll just be hauling cameras & such. Your seasonality comment makes a lot of sense.
Stacey
Old 07-31-2015, 05:29 PM   #9

Florida
Thanks RogerDat. "Good Bones" make a lot of sense. I'm primarily a tent camper and very adept at improvising.
Stacey